PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Bought an onion today, OH didn't check price so I'll guesstimate at around 30p spent.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks to you too, I couldn't work out how to put 2 quotes in 1 reply :o, help please! ...

Hi Pixie,

At the bottom of each post there is, going left to right, the thanks button, the quote button and then the 'double balloon' button. The double balloon is the multi quote button. You can only quote up to three posts at a time though - well it won't let me use more than that anyways! If you tick the balloon a little white tick will show, when you're ready to post click the quote button on one of those you wish to reply to and you'll be taken to the advanced post screen. Once in there you can edit or reduce the quoted post as you wish. Make sure your cursor is not inside anything like this [/QUOTE] when you are typing your reply. HTH. :D
    ... we're having pasta bake for tea with chorizo,onion,mushrooms a bit of garlic and lots of cheese on top and garlic bread i have made this before but just wondering can i freeze it if theres any left???

Hi lemmings,

My OH regularly makes me pasta bakes and roasted veg bakes and he always freezes at least one portion for a later date.

OK, so had a change of plan this morning and now having the rest of the week as annual leave. There were a few things I'd forgotten to do (or haven't got round to doing) that it would be much easier to get done now OH is back in work. So off I toddled to get the tracking done on the car and, as I was supposed to get milk when I went to work, went to the awful, horrible, big MrT which is nearly alongside the tyre place. I also had to fill the tank up - it was almost running on fumes - so that's a nice £59.07 gone there (different budget though ;)).

I took a list and checked a couple of prices online before I went. They have K*nc* refills of smooth instant coffee on offer at the mo for £2.10 which is a good buy so I got a couple of those but only one counts in this spend as the other one comes out of my pocket money (pm) 'cos it's for my office.

MrT has the P*rs*l S&M wash liquid (54 wash) at £5 at the moment which is a great save for me as that's what I prefer to use. I got the Bio one but they were out of the colour so I'll get one on Monday from the store near work. The one today, and any I get on Monday, are allocated to the February budget as I won't get anywhere near opening it this month.

I was very lucky in that I decided to bung a load in the washing machine before I left so it would be done on my return. When I opened the cupboard I discovered I was on my last dose of conditioner and so added it to the list. There would have been multiple :mad: if I'd got back from the awful place to discover I needed it!

Got a couple of shower gels (B1G1F), milk, bag of flour, eyemake up remover and a couple of packs of pain au raisin as they were down to a £1. They are still my favourite treat but when I started this GC thing in March 2010 the standard unreduced price was about 89p and now it's £1.50 according to the label today.

Also had to order the dry cat food today online. Went through Quidco to check prices and yet again Z**pl*s came out cheapest (before and after cashback). As they still haven't paid me my cashback from last August's first order :mad: and had the nerve to decline it on my December order:mad::mad:, I decided it was cheaper to try P*tM*ds because if they pay me my cashback they will be cheapest. ;) I ordered two 5kg sacks and so have put the cost of one into Febs spreadsheet. Weirdly I always think in terms of after cashback price when buying but always note the full price on my spreadsheet.

Cor, marathon post, sorry everyone. I'll shut up now and see you later.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Went back to work today so at last manage a NSD!
    Good start to week using leftover lamb for shepherds pie and bunged a couple of handfuls of lentils in for the first time - nobody actually noticed and I had two portions left over for freezer for hubbies late shifts:j
    On the other hand I bought a whoopsied pre-cooked roast chicken and left on side in kitchen while I answered phone and retuned to find the dog curled up in her bed having a feast of it:eek: could have killed her - she is a tiny jack russell and must have bounced up a down till she cold snatch it off the top! Lesson learnt I think.
    Did stock take of freezer in garage last night, planned next weeks menu and printed out shopping list for end of week.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £6.00 spent on a sack of potatoes today...did go to MrMs for a few bits but OH paid so as seperate budget Im not counting this...mmmm maybe I should get him to pick bits up more often..would definately come under budget then lol...cant see him falling for this to be honest x

Pie and mash for tea..not the best meal but really need some comfort food..its so cold and blustery today.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • MummyEm
    MummyEm Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm a bit annoyed as having checked our online banking, have realised that that I have spent £54.73 on groceries not the £0 I thought it was! One trip to L**l on the 27th has only just been taked from b/a so now in teh months budget and I'd forgotten about DH nipping to shops on new years eve for a few bits as we were entertaining. Never mind, could be worse. There is also £22 odd purchase of toiletry type bits from B**ts but I've taken this from DH personal spends as they were extra bits for his holiday. Not sure whether I should really take this from the grocery budget as I do normally include toiletries, but I wouldn't have spent as much as he did!! Think I might change this back to a grocery spend but for now, ive taken his money. I will see how much is left at end of the month ;)
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Failed miserably in December, I reckon I was at least £80 over budget. Could I be put down for £350 for January please. Spends up to today total £71.11 so well within budget at the moment. I'm determined to bring in all my lunches to work this year, a bit of a challenge as I often get asked to go to get the lunches from the deli for the others in the office. But today I was good, and had hm SW french onion soup. There should have been enough for tomorrows lunch too but I was a bit of a piggy and polished the lot off :D. My only spend today was 79p on a bag of onions, so I will be making some more tonight hopefully to last me the rest of the week ;).
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2012 at 5:30PM
    For those who cant get to MrS Amazon have a good deal on washing powder, Persil Bio Powder 100 wash for £12, or £10.80 if you subscribe and save (and then cancel after it is delivered!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persil-Biological-Powder-Detergent-Washes/dp/B003USW1K6/ref=zg_bsms_grocery_2

Be quick if you want it, it is number 1 in the movers and shakers so usually goes quickly.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Just seen on Grabbit board (post about a torch!) that Amaz*n sell groceries - h
    ad no idea. Anyway 24 pack of Branston Baked Beans delivered for £7.68 that's 32p tin :T
  • Redouble
    Redouble Posts: 468 Forumite
    hex2 wrote: »
    For those who cant get to MrS Amazon have a good deal on washing powder, Persil Bio Powder 100 wash for £12, or £10.80 if you subscribe and save (and then cancel after it is delivered!)

Be quick if you want it, it is number 1 in the movers and shakers so usually goes quickly.

Thanks for this! I needed washing powder too :D
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    NSD for me today.

Shepherds pie for tea tonight, hopefully I will not have a repeat of last night, I made a quiche and only after eating it did I realise what was wrong, I had forgotten to add the bacon :wall:

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills