PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    a small spend for me today at MrAs of £4.30 included a boneless turkey breast down from £4.68 to just 50p :O couldnt resist it!!! and sum uncle bens rice that was on offer... i was goin to go down a brand but i really prefer uncle bens its a lot nicer and fluffy and i dnt eat it very often... (tryin to justify it) and a couple of other bits :D
    everyones doin really well!!:T
  • moneysaver13
    Options
    First day in new job meant a NSD, Yes. Nearly more exciting than the job but hey mustn't complain, its a job. Three more sleeps to DH gets paid - can I make it on budget? Dinner all sorted for tomorrow so no reason to spend any money though I get this tugging feeling as I drive past the supermarkets at 5pm wondering if there are any bargains inside! Its sort of addictive but if I didnt go shopping for bargains I am sure I would have spent less this month but on the upside there is more in my freezer for next month's budget. Hoping that being back at work wont distract me from this site as it has really opened my eyes to bargains and offers.
    GC 2012 April £0/£150
    March: £176.71/£150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: £138.93/£150 NSD:11/10 :j
    Jan: £171.13/£150:(
    Nectar rewards: £18.55, Boots £13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 January 2012 at 12:23AM
    Options
    A few more 'from stock' bits added to my "spends", but stuck on one as I don't know what I paid and I can't get an 'alternative' on any supermarket website.
    [strike]Does anyone who keeps records happen to know what the price was for a box of 12 Mr T Value Mince Pies (or a close alternative) please?[/strike] - Thanks to Sproggi for the info :)

As today wasn't an NSD (due to a D/debit going out of my bank this morning) I allowed myself a wander down to Mr M just after 5pm (chilled section final Whoopsie time is 5-5:30), which also served to check my legs were still functioning after a 12 mile run this morning ;)

Had to hang around for quite a while to get the bits that interested me (the lass got called away a couple of times to do other tasks), but in the end I came home with...

Full price (needed in the next week or two)
    Demerara Sugar 1kg - but having had a price check on the Mr M bag (£1.99) I got the Whitw0rths fairtrade (£1.49)
    Phili Light 300g- on offer at 99p

Whoopsied
    Bread, Oat & Barley, 800g - [strike]£1.20[/strike] 29p
    Eggs, 6 medium free range - [strike]£1.48[/strike] 25p
    Lemons - [strike]£1.00[/strike] 55p
    Quiche, cheddar and onion - [strike]£2.00[/strike] 49p
    Cumberland Pie (tonight's tea) - [strike]£2.29[/strike] 55p
    Mushroom ravioli (tomorrow's tea) - [strike]£2.49[/strike] 55p
    Double Cream, organic, 227ml x 4 - [strike]89p each[/strike] 19p each (will be making organic butter tomorrow ;) )
    Ricotta Cheese - [strike]£1.00[/strike] 25p
    Yoghurt, raspberry, cranberry & blueberry, 500g - [strike]£1.09[/strike] 29p

So Whoopsies gave me £16.11 worth of groceries for £3.98 :T
    Cheryl
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    needtosavE wrote: »
    I need help!! Done our weekly shopping last night and we now have around £8 left until payday on the 27th. We only normally shop on a sunday so just really the shop on the 22nd to go. The thing is there is a really good deal on heinz tomato soup at morrisons. 4 tins for £1.59!! That is like the best deal ever. If i buy these then I will go over budget as we defo will need bread, milk and some fruit and veg.

What would you guys do in this situation, would you go over budget in order to buy up a really good offer?? I can afford to buy it but am trying to be strict with my budget to avoid going nuts like i used to do!

I would buy the offer.I dont worry if an offer takes me over budget
    as I always view it as being in hand for next month.
    Slimming World at target
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Does anyone who keeps records happen to know what the price was for a box of 12 Mr T Value Mince Pies (or a close alternative) please?

According to Mysupermarket, they were £1.40 :)

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2012 at 12:32AM
    Options
    Two small spends to report:
    HB, £7.21 on cheap left over Christmas choc selection boxes (currently the cheapest way of buying Cadburys choc or similar that I've found), their cheap 'cherish' cube tissues at 39p which are NOT in fact like sandpaper as some cheap ones are, might be some use for those with colds! and a pack of their version of colour catchers (99p for 20, recommended by a GC member, if I remember rightly) and some half price Cadburys Brunch bars for 99p a box. Then about a fiver in Boots on 3 big bottles of the red Elvive on half price, at last in stock at my local branch. Cruised M$S looking for whoopsies but nothing decent, I do wonder if staff nudge each other and point to people cruising the store fast, scanning for ye's! 'There's another one, look, the cheapskate!' But don't care really!

Tried those fab oatcakes as per recipe earlier, really really good. I liked them thinner and cooked a bit longer, DH liked them thicker and less cooked. Everybody happy as i did a batch each way! Would have been perfect with my HM hummus if someoone hadn't eaten it all already...

Then a little battle with MBNA over my allegedly vanished Pulsebeats points, which may not have vanished after all...

Cat seems ok thanks, no honking today so far,
    Night all
    PS Save Dosh - have you thought about a rabbit? Mine dispose of cabbage really well...:rotfl:
    PPS rising from the ashes - electric toothbrush heads are much cheaper on ebay than in the shops, for when you need to buy some more, and I've found the non-brand ones not much good, though that may not be representative, hth
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,930 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent £5.96 today!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/351
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 77
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD for me, will need to buy some spuds tomorrow though
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    60 pence on reduced bread!

GC £32.50/50
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent £50 in Ic***and today but £46 of it was stamps given to me by my mum...she saves £1 a week for us but really didnt need to use it before Xmas so went today while OH was home to take me...he is a coach driver and tours a lot....so only £4 to add to sig....Am hitting HB and Al**is tomorrow...that may be painful.

Anyway both my freezers are stuffed...should only need to replace bread in there before end of month.....hoping to go to MrMs at some point to get some of the tom soup on offer...my kids will be thrilled if i do.....

Keep going everyone we will get there eventually..off to update sig now xxx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure