3.3K replies 330.3K views

Replies

• edited 16 January 2012 at 2:06PM
    Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 16 January 2012 at 2:06PM
    just had a free recipe book through the post after registerin my codes on andrex toilet roll (i no its not cheap but i like it lol) quite impressed thought it was gonna b a cheapo recipe book but its quite good rrp on bk of it is £6.99 :O
    mite need to get sum ingredients in with this weeks money to try sum out :) hopefully will find sum nice ones out :D

and they doubling points until the end of feb :D may b able to get sum other bargains off there :P
  • I need help!! Done our weekly shopping last night and we now have around £8 left until payday on the 27th. We only normally shop on a sunday so just really the shop on the 22nd to go. The thing is there is a really good deal on heinz tomato soup at morrisons. 4 tins for £1.59!! That is like the best deal ever. If i buy these then I will go over budget as we defo will need bread, milk and some fruit and veg.

What would you guys do in this situation, would you go over budget in order to buy up a really good offer?? I can afford to buy it but am trying to be strict with my budget to avoid going nuts like i used to do!
    June GC £130.93/£150
    Wedding Date Set 13th October 2012 :T
  • mummybearxmummybearx Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Been sitting here thinking I haven't spent any money for days, but Im a total liar lol!

Been to the local shop yesterday and bought eggs to bake a banana loaf, and bought 3 packets of crisps and a scratchcard. Was at the shop on Saturday as well, don't even rememeber what I bought, sure I had crisps again though....

And DH was at MrM's on Thursday, he 'popped in' to get lunch for himself, lovely bread, cold meat etc and spent over £13.

So will update my sig, adding on another say....... £22? Ach, Ive no idea how much Ive spent. Honestly need to pull myself together, this is how I don't know what I spend on groceries, cos I dont keep track!!
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • carolinerunnercarolinerunner Forumite
    623 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    needtosave, if you take it out of next month's budget, that would seem reasonable then you would be cancelling out the 'overspend' straight away... just a thought, I can quite see what you mean!
    Erratically money saving
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nEEdtosave wrote: »
    ... What would you guys do in this situation, would you go over budget in order to buy up a really good offer?? I can afford to buy it but am trying to be strict with my budget to avoid going nuts like i used to do!

if I could afford it, I'd do it for a good offer on something I know I'd use ;)

or as caroline says you could reduce next month's budget or spread it over the next 2 or 3 months?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Thanks for the advice, ill take it out of next months budget. That way i wont be cheating! (too much)

The one thing I want to avoid is putting my budget up as this is a challange for me without being unrealistic. This is a good comprimise :-)
    June GC £130.93/£150
    Wedding Date Set 13th October 2012 :T
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    nEEdtosave wrote: »
    have around £8 left until payday on the 27th. The thing is there is a really good deal on heinz tomato soup at morrisons. 4 tins for £1.59!! That is like the best deal ever. If i buy these then I will go over budget as we defo will need bread, milk and some fruit and veg.
    What would you guys do in this situation, would you go over budget in order to buy up a really good offer?? I can afford to buy it but am trying to be strict with my budget to avoid going nuts like i used to do!

It is not such a hot deal if you really can not afford it or budgeted for overspends, you could take from next month but then you will always be playing catch up.
    If you can in future months set a small amount on to one side as a back up (can be include as part of the monthly budget) for the times you see offers, that way you stick to the amount you have budgeted for.

Also you could have a go at making your own bread which is far cheaper than the shops and that way you might always have bread or the ingredients to make bread in the house so you never run out.

Basic Bread - 500g Loaf

306g of warm water (can be fairly warm but to hot and it will kill the yeast)
    500g Strong White Bread Flour
    10g salt
    6g Dried Yeast
    (For a fruit loaf add sultans or raisins, don’t add too many or the loaf may not rise well and be too heavy, but I add more than the book says to add).

Add ingredients to a bowl and mix well, then turn out and knead on a work surface fro about ten minutes. Form into a ball place back into the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel (best kept just for bread) and leave in a warm place to double in size (or overnight in the fridge covered with cling film - large bowl).
    When doubled in size, knock back and then shape or put in a greased and floured loaf tin.

Leave again to double in size (or fill the tin 1lb tin). Set the oven to 220° then when hot enough put the dough into the oven and reduce the temperature to 200°. Cook for 40 (depending on your oven) minutes until browned and when you tap the bottom with your knuckles until it sounds hollow.

Remove from the tin or tray place on a wire rack and wrap until cold with a tea towel.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Umm, very, very close to budget target now & still have until the 26th to go. It feels like a long month this month as OH was paid a bit early last month for xmas & a lot of Christmas food costs have come out of this month's spends. Will still need milk & fruit and will still want coke & crisps!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    spent a whole quid this morning on a soya & seedy Burgen loaf.It lasts me a week, so well worth it.normally about 1.40 but Icelands are doing it for a pound.I portion it up into lots of four slice packs and freeze.I only ever eat a couple of slices of bread a day anyway so its not worth my while making my own ,plus only one of my arms works very well at all so kneading would be difficult.
    very pleased with my totals so far this month I am sticking to me 'stay out of shops if possible' mantra for January.Only 15 more days to go
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    I made a 7 seed bread yesterday using the above recipe and added
    # 2168

White Poppy seeds
    Black Poppy seeds
    White Sesame Seeds
    Black Sesame Seeds
    Linseeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Pumpkin Seeds

Yummy ☺

Probably cost me about 40p or so, worth doing your own bread as it works out so much cheaper, if you are short on time the first rise can be done over night in the fridge, either add ingredients to the first mix or allow to rise, knock back and then add the nuts, seeds, fruit etc.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.