PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Talking of sausages just did sausage casserole maybe im too generous but hubby likes least 4 sausages kids have 2each. me none as dont like sausage.

today well last night got 8pack peters from spar reduced to 75p:D
    I served with rice today for change but sometimes serve with mixed frozen veg and potatoes.

But I buy most of m sausages from mobile bucther called meat machine in local pub carpark he also does markets sounds dodgy but they fab more you buy more discount and he gives me advice on how to cook stuff.
    I tell him how much want in value so 5quids worth.

£5 worth of sausages he gives me about 20
    mixed flavours normnal, cumberland and chilli ones.They huge , meaty and look like the premuim ones in the supermarket they certainly not value maybe if you have butcher at market worth a look.

sainsburys have them on multibuy or I buy reduced sausages as spar and co-op always have reduced. find sausages the cheapest really.

Find tesco expensive for meats and my problem I know but prefer free range poultry or rspca freedom foods which is expensive in tesco(willowfarm) but the co-op elmwood is rspa freedom and sainsburys not too bad either as make one chicken make 3meals at least and buy cheaper cuts like thighs and legs for casseroles rarly buy breasts unless they reduced.

One place maybe overlooked but have done multi buy meat deal in marks and spencer think was 3 for £10.
    Another thing they often do is have that weekend dine weekend and sometimes they have a whole chicken included in £10 deal with side dish i pick bag pototoies, wine, and dessert and get best value out of it.

This is going to sound nuts but dont go straught for value lines as they going up in price hate value mince so buy nice mince reduced or on offer and bulk out with red lentils.
    I spend ages looking at and comparing weights too
    other month they had 2packs of salmon 4measly sized fillets for £6
    got whole salmon instead in morrisons £11 and cut into £10portions bigger than prepacked so just over £1 per portion and the other measly ones were £1.50 a portion.

I need to do aldi super six as hubby works next door we do most fresh veg from lidls and frozen from farmfoods.
    Been told about new cheap veg shop going to try
    also going to try get to market compare their prices.
    My fave is at big carboot when beg man sells fruit/veg stupidly cheap think must be whats left from his stall but only get that in summer.

We grow some stuff need to decide what to grow and going to aim to grow all year round as bbc programme few years ago did the winter garden was good.

I plan meals around what i have , whats cheap and reduced,
    As found before mealplanning around recipies in books or cards worked out more expensive my mate does that does these elabofrate recipies and has to do mini shop before each one costs her more.

Some fabby ideas.

might try soup and pudding night.
    I give the kids spaggetti or beans on toast.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    some good ideas. I think I'll instigate a soup and pudding night. Also a something-on-toast night and a couple of vegetarian nights in addition. The frozen veg thing sounds good too.
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    I just got a load of reduced veg in tesc@ and spent a few hours dicing it and freezing it all, mainly for my soups but also for meals. I find frozen veg to be zero waste - it lives in the freezer til its all gone, whereas fresh is more risky in my house, it may get forgotten about and be wasted. So I generally only get potatoes and carrots fresh, and the occasional brocolli.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • wishfullthinking
    Options
    My budget im a first timer £360 usually 400plus 2 adults 3 kids 1 grandchild 4 big dogs and a parrott wish me luck will save receipts and do a diary will let you know end of Jan
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    That's another thing I'll do... buy £5 worth of veg and DH and I will chop and dice it all... and make 'soup packs' with potato, carrots, swede, turnip, onion and leeks! Bag them up... freeze them and when you need them just bung them in boiling water with lentils for a quick meal!

I find that there is much less waste doing it this way! And now I have a V-Slice it all get's chipped and chopped very quickly!

Oh and a nice thick soup tastes wonderful with some value cooking bacon thrown in (I cook and bag packs of this in little portions) then served with Fresh HM Rolls! Yummy!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • SuziQ1962
    Options
    Hi i would like to join to please- aiming to spend £60 per week so I think Jan is a 4 week month so will be £240! There are 6 of us in total and one cat!
    Will be meal planning and making from scratch with soups and puds being utilised to fill us up!
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/£26.00:j
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget £28.90/£100:eek:
    January 2012 Grocery challenge £378.27/£240 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    14/16 NSD in January:mad::mad:
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs :j
  • dreamingofmoney
    Options
    Happy New Grocery Challenge everyone

Could i please be put down for £300 for Jan Please. My month runs from 1st to the 31st. I lost my way in Dec but won't beat myself up about it as i had a good oct and Nov

Good luck to all, and a great big thanks to all who keep the thread running.

Dreamer
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    Jan GC £400/£Out of the water Feb £400/£
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm coming round to your house for tea JG!
  • BohemianCoast
    Options
    OK, last month was my first month and I blew the budget but then again, Christmas. We'll still be eating leftovers well into January (we were given two hampers) so I am going to say £350 and hopefully have a little leftover. That's two adults, two kids who eat like adults (14 & 11), the occasional waif and stray, and the 'treat' takeaway if we avoid them the rest of the month.
    Make £2023 in 2023: (all decluttering), current total £2860 me, £330 for friends & family, £468 charity donations.
  • ClaireT13
    Options
    Hi

Another addition for today - DH did a quick shop for toiletries and all kitchen cleaning equipment for the month so adding another £16.93 to the total to take me to £93.00 for the month so far.

Hope all this stuff lasts as long as I predict it will :eek:

Claire
    Declutter challenge - 81/1500 (5.4%)
    Make £2,021 in 2021 - £148.95/£2,021 (7.3%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport