PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    this is exactly what the Grocery challenge is all about Old tractor, so Ive merged your thread in with this to keep the like discussion together.

Good luck with it, the GC is excellent

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    I'm coming round to your house for tea JG!

:T:T I love feeding people :T:T
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I am back from my christmas travels (which means that there's no left overs to use!) and have just bought a load of vegetables - £8.50 - leaving me with a full freezer and £25 to last until the 23rd January. Yikes! I am looking at the washing powder and trying to eek it out!!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • andrinaperry
    Options
    £400 for me this month please
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back on to update my spends. MrT quick shop this afternoon - £19.98, plus milk bill (direct debit) was taken today - £30.55 (now cancelled - sorry Pete!).

Having mac n cheese (N*gella Express) for tea with green veggies and leftover gammon. Managed to pick up some whoopsied lamb steaks (curry) and lean beef mince (spag bol) which will do for tomorrow and Monday. We are out NYE at a friends who will feed us, and already have pork belly roasting joint in the freezer for NYD.

Looking forward to 2012 and saving money where I can :D
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2011 at 6:01PM
    Options
    NEWBIE ALERT!!!

Please can you put me on the list? I'm going to try for £90 a week - £75 for food and £15 for cat food and cleaning materials etc. I will then try and slowly chip away at it. The amount I've put is roughly what my total for the past 12 months has averaged out at.
  • aberdeensaver
    Options
    Hi all just wanted to update you all on the cat front, went to SM today and sent OH off to look for something (he is so impatient and rubbish at the SM I could scream) so whilst he was away to the pet aisle I stood and had a comparison at cheaper ways to feed the two cats and realised I could cut the bill from £0.83 per day to £0.46 per day. Brought some tins (opposed to the pouches) to let the cats try and my normally fussy two seem totally unfazed by the mammoth amount of money I will save going forward.

Next query for you all to help with, how do you add a signature after your name so I can keep tabs on my updates etc? We did spend £54.10 today and have decided to include it as my next pay will be 27th Jan so about a month from now. That leaves me £195.90 left, however OH will be back working late next week so I will be better able to pop to shops in peace without him throwing in a lot of unnecessary items.

I am off to make some HM bread now, can I ask what might be a stupid question, if I make the dough now will it still be happy enough if I dont cook it until morning or do I need to do all the prep and put it straight in then oven?

Gosh I ask alot of questions!

E x
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • Justamum
    edited 29 December 2011 at 6:30PM
    Options
    I stood and had a comparison at cheaper ways to feed the two cats and realised I could cut the bill from £0.83 per day to £0.46 per day. Brought some tins (opposed to the pouches) to let the cats try and my normally fussy two seem totally unfazed by the mammoth amount of money I will save going forward.

I buy our cat the pouches in summer because I find that a tin goes sour quite quickly once opened in the heat. In the winter he gets tins - and the cheapest ones too, and he's quite happy about it. He doesn't like the 'supermeat' though which looks like a paste, but most of the tins seem to have exactly the same contents as the pouches. If we had more than one cat I'd use tins all year round.
  • Justamum
    Options
    I am off to make some HM bread now, can I ask what might be a stupid question, if I make the dough now will it still be happy enough if I dont cook it until morning or do I need to do all the prep and put it straight in then oven?

At this time of year I make bread dough in the evening, then knock it back and put it in the tins in the morning. It's cold enough in the kitchen not to rise too much. I can tell when the weather is getting warmer because the dough rises out of the bowl - that's when I make the dough in the morning for cooking later in the day. The longer rise makes the bread taste nicer I think.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    aberdeensaver - at the top of the page just above where it says "welcome aberdeensaver" there is a green bar. 3rd from left is UserCP. Click on this and on the left you'll see a list of stuff to do including edit signature.

I think the dough could be put in its tin in the fridge and left to rise slowly overnight but haven't tried it myself.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport