Royal Mail / Angard No Pay

Options
My So has a temp job for Christmas at the royal mail with angard staffing (RM in-house agency). A lot have not been paid and if they have it's been incorrect.

My SO should of been paid today but as it stand he hasn't, I know looking at the royal mail chat that the company is fobbing people off, the management seem to be saying anything to keep them from walking.

My question is, he hasn't been paid as per contract and in our eyes they are in breach of it, he is only suppose to work until Christmas eve. I think he shouldn't work if he hasn't been paid and re-claim JSA, does anyone know if he would be santioned if he did leave?, as they are the ones who are in breach of the contract, FYI some workers have not been paid for three and four weeks, my SO just the two but my thought is why turn it into three!

Comments

• he may or may not be sanctioned,anyones guess tbh,but if the agency is an in house royal mail one then id have a high level of confidence that he will be paid,so better do another week than an extra week on jsa,as the dwp in the form of iain duncan smith was so anxious for people out of work to apply for these temp.jobs i`d be tempted to contact his office,failing that go to the national newspapers
  • huston_kw
    Options
    Thx, he's back from work and some manager came and got people in the office in groups and blamed Angard, my SO said doesn't RM own angard. It has been in the press, I wouldn't hold my breathe that he will be paid as it is still a seperate company from RM.

My SO has told his line manager that he will not work for free and will not be in tomorrow, he told him if he has been paid like the other manager said (he told them he guareentees payment this weekend, but many, many staff have heard this for weeks with no pay, or only a token pay of 30 quid etc). Then he would return on Monday, his line manager has agreed this.

My SO is going to phone the JC for advice Monday morning before deciding anything.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    You would think so Woodbine. Unfortunately, RM/Angard have totally screwed up big time with these poor temps. Some are going weeks without pay. I believe they are trying to get something in place, like a cash advance for most of them, but it's taking too long.

I'm a former RM employee, and really can't believe what the casuals are having to go through this year. The whole process from application to getting paid, has been quite frankly atrocious.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Jaynee123
    Options
    It's not just the wages not being paid - my son has been working as a Christmas casual at a mail centre and when he applied for the position it said on line that he would get £8.45 per hour for Fri,Sat & Mon night and £10.21 for Sunday night. He's now been told he will only get £5.48 & £7.48 respectively! It's a complete farce! He's worked 3 weekends Fri through to Mon and been paid nothing! I have seen on the Royal Mail Chat forum that Angard has gone bust and that RM is taking over so we will just have to wait and see. I just feel sorry for all the poor s**ds who have worked their socks off for a bit of extra cash for Christmas only to be smacked in the face!!

J
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 20 December 2011 at 12:46PM
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    You would think so Woodbine. Unfortunately, RM/Angard have totally screwed up big time with these poor temps. Some are going weeks without pay. I believe they are trying to get something in place, like a cash advance for most of them, but it's taking too long.

I'm a former RM employee, and really can't believe what the casuals are having to go through this year. The whole process from application to getting paid, has been quite frankly atrocious.

Angard are an absolute disgrace -I'm another victim of their total incompetence and/or don't care attitude. I know when the Guardian did a piece on it they got more than a hundred emails in the first 24 hours of asking for incidents for the story from people who either hadn't got paid, were offered jobs that never materialized or turned up for work to be instantly laid off.

As for Angard "going bust" they are an inhouse company-sharing directors with RM. This is just an attempt to stop the legal claims against them from their abused supposed employees I suspect. To say "RM doesn't own Angard " is another fob off.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    he may or may not be sanctioned,anyones guess tbh,but if the agency is an in house royal mail one then id have a high level of confidence that he will be paid,so better do another week than an extra week on jsa,as the dwp in the form of iain duncan smith was so anxious for people out of work to apply for these temp.jobs i`d be tempted to contact his office,failing that go to the national newspapers

The Guardian has already done a piece . http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/12/royal-mail-christmas-workers-complain It was going to be a big piece but got cut down due to the Eurozone news taking priority. The Telegraph has also contacted people for a story (not sure if they have run it or not though)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • mazza111
    Options
    I've never seen so many complaints from the casuals at Christmas, and just reading some of their horror stories makes me cringe for them. This is my first Christmas out of RM and needless to say I'm relaxing and enjoying it immensely :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i`m gobsmacked that RM who every year takes on large numbers of casual staff felt the need to use an outside agency,with the associated additional cost,apart from the poor sods not getting paid,this also shows certain govt ministers in a bad light after they told the unemployed to apply for these 18,000 vacancies AFTER 80,000 already had
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have finally received all my pay in the form of a letter that I took to a post office ( changed for cash) Whilst they attempt to get Angard payment sorted. ( as it happens I have been "paid " to the end of the week )

I really enjoyed the excercise but won't go through this hastle next year.

Paul
  • mazza111
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    i`m gobsmacked that RM who every year takes on large numbers of casual staff felt the need to use an outside agency,with the associated additional cost,apart from the poor sods not getting paid,this also shows certain govt ministers in a bad light after they told the unemployed to apply for these 18,000 vacancies AFTER 80,000 already had

They are not an outside agency tho, that's the biggest problem, Angard are RM's inside agency. It's been a total shambles from start to finish and sincerely hope they get it sorted rather quickly for all the poor people who have had no wages
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport