Forum Home » Marriage, Relationships & Families

New power of attorney guide - Page 34

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

New power of attorney guide

edited 21 December 2011 at 3:19PM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
629 replies 128.9K views

Replies

• pphillipspphillips Forumite
    921 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I also think this would go without saying, but yes you can add things to the LPA in your handwriting provided of course the LPA has not already been registered. If the LPA has already been registered then you would need to make a new LPA in order to add something to it.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pphillips wrote: »
    I also think this would go without saying, but yes you can add things to the LPA in your handwriting provided of course the LPA has not already been registered. If the LPA has already been registered then you would need to make a new LPA in order to add something to it.

Thanks for this, it isn't registered yet.

It's been a bit of a headache getting all the signatories in the right order to sign.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    pphillips wrote: »

You do not need to add that, the LPA gives an attorney authority to access the donor's medical records if required.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/access-to-someone-elses-medical-or-health-records.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=160
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    To avoid unintended consequences, I was told to keep it simple. For instance an instruction to share GP's records COULD be construed to mean share GP's records but not hospital ones.
    41K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On discussing this with my husband, his comment was that we should do both to avoid anyone interpreting a decision to only register the property one as a deliberate decision to not entrust health issues to the spouse, rather than not thinking it necessary.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the absence of any such documentation family members can always claim that certain intentions or preferences were known and thus written instructions were unnecessary. This of course can lead to conflict in some cases were several family members are involved as care providers in some way and opinionions on a particular care route may sometimes differ widely.

Putting your instructions down in writing in this way leaves no room for doubt or conflict, and as attorneys are duty bound to follow your wishes rather than their own preferences, conflict can hopefully be avoided.
    41K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the absence of any such documentation family members can always claim that certain intentions or preferences were known and thus written instructions were unnecessary.

I appreciate this, though in our case we are a small family - no half or step children/ parents or any complications and we all share views on life enhancing situations. So I can't imagine war breaking out.

To report back, we have sent off both LPAs for each of us. £328 gone!
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvercar wrote: »
    To report back, we have sent off both LPAs for each of us. £328 gone![/QUOTE

£££ Ouch! but at the end of the day, possibly a small price to pay for your peace of mind and possibly making your loved ones' lives easier and less stressful in the long term!
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've completed my online P of As and reached the stage where it says "At the next stage your form(s) will be ready to download and sign with the information shown above.
    You won't be able to change anything in the LPA once you have confirmed and paid."

It looks as if you actually have to pay the fee before you can download and print off the forms for signing and witnessing.
    Is this correct?

I would really prefer to download the forms, see them "in the flesh" and have them ready for signing before I pay two sets of fess.

Can anybody who has done their P of A via the online process advise the exact order in which things happen? Thanks
  • edited 16 May 2017 at 1:35PM
    SopeSope Forumite
    49 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2017 at 1:35PM
    @ Promrose....

When you get to the stage where it says continue and pay, choose the option to pay by cheque.
    It will then generate the documents to be downloaded with a specific payment page detailing how to pay by cheque.

If you choose to pay by card, it will automatically ask for your card details and take the payment. If you don't then register the LPA within 40 days, the card payment is refunded.

Depending on how you choose to pay, the relevant payment page is added to your LPA document before being ready to download.

HTH