PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dripping tap - who is responsible.

Options

Comments

• Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but I am confused from the Op's post it doesn't sound like a dripping tap in the conventional sense.

It sounds like the taps haven't been tightened up so that the base of the tap is tight to the sink.

If this is what is dripping then yes you do need to sort it out as there won't be a water tight seal between the tap and sink and water will get into the cupboard below. It is an awkward job but if you have the right spanners can be done.

If it is just water dripping out because the washer in the tap has worn then less urgent but still your responsibility.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    maybe now is the time to make a proper access to get under the sink, as you say "it is impossible to get under the sink" - do you mean under the sink unit to floor level under the bottom shelf of the unit, or impossible to get a spanner underneath the bottom of the sink itself ? either way... better access would be good for future problems.... where is the stoc pock btw
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    maybe now is the time to make a proper access to get under the sink, as you say "it is impossible to get under the sink" - do you mean under the sink unit to floor level under the bottom shelf of the unit, or impossible to get a spanner underneath the bottom of the sink itself ? either way... better access would be good for future problems.... where is the stoc pock btw
    Absolutely. Money spent now will make life easier in the future.

As I said before - maintain your house.
  • Sugared-frog
    Options
    I don't think you're being unreasonable and don't think i would be inclined to send a plumber after your experiences so far. I also think it's at least arguable that the installation is 'in proper working order' - I mean, they can hardly go to environmental health because a tap is dripping, can they?
    If it's keeping them awake, why don't they put a rag in the sink so that it doesn't make noise?
    I would be far more worried about what a dripping tap might lead to - we have had a couple of occasions when a dripping tap (not turned off fully) on a really cold evening ended up blocking the drain temporarily (luckily causing no damage).
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2011 at 10:09PM
    Options
    The OP is clear that he is fatigued and frustrated that this is the 5th maintenance problem in 2 months, with the majority of them not having a clear enough cause, with a suspicion that the tenant is somehow either causing them or should have been able to fix them without the landlord's intervention.

But really, in the absence of evidence that the tenant is causing the problems, the landlord should just knuckle down and fix them without delay or pushing back. It sounds like his relationship is breaking down with the tenant because he considers them too needy and not fulfilling their responsibility.

Certainly there are tenants who will chuck everything over the wall at the landlord without proper checks or awareness of their obligation. My landlord pal had tenants who didn't understand how to set the heating timer or switch on radiator valves, thought he was responsible for changing their lightbulbs and cleaning off the mould they caused in the bathroom and even claimed that a burglar had entered and used their laptop (not stolen it, mind).
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have already had an electrician to fix a ceiling light socket. A plumber to sort out a problem with the central heating which turned out to be a finger tight bleeder valver on a radiator (who slackened it off is a mystery) and a second visit from an electrician as there was no current in an annexe. The current had been swithced off at the meter, again, no known culprit. So I am loosing sympathy with the tenant, but am I being unreasonable

Given that the T had been in situ for less than a month, possibly only a couple of weeks at the start of this sorry saga, can you categorically prove that the T didn't inherit these problems from previous occupiers? They don't sound like things which would necessarily be spotted at a check-out or check-in, particularly if previous Ts didn't keep you informed of anything which happened.

Sounds as though you may be getting teething problems which pre-date.

In any case, I agree with the others. Yes it's unreasonable to expect the T to fix a dripping tap. You'd be absolutely furious if they tried it and caused a leak / flood. As a (now) homeowner I wouldn't dare attempt it, let alone with someone else's property and a deposit at risk.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

here's a cheap and easy solution, a bit of string.

01442006665db8ac721513ff17ba3cba.png
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2011 at 2:34PM
    Options
    I have already had an electrician to fix a ceiling light socket.
    as you are legally obliged to do, unless you want to be on the receiving end of litigation for failing to honour your duty of care, in the event of your T receiving an electric shock.
    A plumber to sort out a problem with the central heating which turned out to be a finger tight bleeder valver on a radiator (who slackened it off is a mystery) and a second visit from an electrician as there was no current in an annexe. The current had been swithced off at the meter, again, no known culprit. So I am loosing sympathy with the tenant, but am I being unreasonable.
    Have you given written guidance to your T on the heating system, how to bleed radiators etc. Did you know that there was a switch at the meter for the supply to the annexe? Did you suggest before calling your sparky out that the T checked that first?

This is pretty basic guidance that should be given to all new Ts.
    I have tenants who have been in my rented property for two months. the check-in drew attention to the kitchen tap which was not tight against the sink surface and the hot and cold handles were not lined up when the taps were off. There was no mention of a dripping tap. The handles have been fixed but it hasn't been possible to tighten up the tap as it is impossible to get under the sink. However, the taps both work perfectly well and deliver hot and cold water on demand. the tenant is now complaining that the tap is dripping and keeping him awake at night.

Sorry OP but you sound like a LL who likes to do things on the cheap, rather than provide a property in decent order. If the tap is dripping it needs fixing and this is down to you: they can hardly be described as "working perfectly well" if they cannot be fully turned off. You will no doubt be aware that you can set down the costs of repairs on your tax return

If it is "impossible to get under the sink" then *make* it possible to get under the sink or pay someone else to do so.
    The question is, am I being unreasonable expecting the tenant to attend to the problem himself.
    Yes, yes, you very much are. The fact that the tap was, you say, not dripping at the start of the tenancy is irrelevant . Along with your s11 repairing obligations, it's likely to fall under wear and tear, & the responsibility for the costs to rectify that lay with you.

An experienced and/or conscientious LL checks out his properties between tenancies and deals with these sorts of things prior to a check in with a new T.

In your case, it sounds pretty much like "it'll do , it's only a rental"

Just get it done for goodness sake.
  • lighting_up_the_chalice
    Options
    The question is, am I being unreasonable expecting the tenant to attend to the problem himself.

Yes. And incredibly stupid. Do you really want your tenant to get the spanners out and open up the water system in your property? You may feel that replacing a tap washer is a common DIY issue, but your tenant may not have the required knowledge or skills (why should they?).

Look after YOUR property and YOUR tenant. That is a duty YOU took on when you decided to become a landlord.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    here's a cheap and easy solution, a bit of string.
    fine for an OO but not another option for a cheapskate LL........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure