How do you report drink driving, annonomously ?

Options

Comments

• Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I am shocked at the police! I have been following this thread as it reminds me of an incident about 20yrs ago when drink driving was just becoming unacceptable. I had a birthday party (I was about 7), one of the Dads came to pick up their daughter and he was obviously the worse for drink. My Dad asked him how they were getting home and offered the guy a lift, he refused and got into his car. My Dad called the police, they found him 2 streets away after having hit 3 parked cars and my friend (who was also about 7) was hysterical. The mother of this child (and wife of the drink driver) actually thanked my mum in the playground for shopping him, she said it has made him realise what a problem his drinking has become and was seeking help. I am still friends with that girl.
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Justie wrote:
    I think part of the problem is that the OP fears retribution from this man and that's why they want to go down the anonymous route - if it were a friend or family member then I agree, trying to educate them is much better but if someone will not listen then the only ethical option is to take the judgement out of their hands imo. The OP may end up saving his life and he'll never know because he thinks he's invincible and in control when he quite clearly isn't. Personally I think there are times when intervention is the best thing to do anyway and if you can take a drunk driver off the road then you should.

The OP does not have to fear retribution. They can call the police anonimously. All they have to do is pass the registration number of the car, colour, name of the driver, where it is currently parked ( if they happen to be drinking at the time of the call) /or where they do their drinking on a regular basis. The more info you can give the better. OP DOES NOT HAVE TO PASS ANY DETAILS AT ALL. Make it clear you wish to remain anon, call from a call box if you wish.

You are doing the right thing, better a life is saved. Sometimes it takes a short sharp shock to make someone sit up and realise what they are doing is wrong.:cool:
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    Benny24 wrote:
    The OP does not have to fear retribution. They can call the police anonimously. All they have to do is pass the registration number of the car, colour, name of the driver, where it is currently parked ( if they happen to be drinking at the time of the call) /or where they do their drinking on a regular basis. The more info you can give the better. OP DOES NOT HAVE TO PASS ANY DETAILS AT ALL. Make it clear you wish to remain anon, call from a call box if you wish.

You are doing the right thing, better a life is saved. Sometimes it takes a short sharp shock to make someone sit up and realise what they are doing is wrong.:cool:
    yeah I know that was in response to someone telling the OP to confront the person rather than 'grass them up'

And Dazzie so sorry to hear that nothing was done - the problem is that the police can't sit there all the time waiting and then it just depends who is available when the call comes in. If he was driving a long way then he may have gone over the boundaries between forces too which can complicate things. Good to hear that someone else reported him also.
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    I would wait until he gets in his car and call 999 as surely his driving will be eratic after drinking so much.

Shame slashing his tyres would constitute an offence
  • Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear that he managed to drive home without being caught. It is possible that police were unable to respond....especially if this was a weekend! Keep calling them express your concerns and if you are able to give the police the heads up prior to these instances taking place...i.e. you knew he was going to drink at this event, so it is probable he will do it again, then call them and warn them.
    Hopefully they should be able to set someone aside, please don't lose heart.
  • hsgamboy
    Options
    well dazzieboo, it just goes to prove my point. I have very little fate in cops. This is either the government fault by not providing the money to employ more cops or that the cops are simply useless and tend to spend most of their time pursuing and trying to solve so call crimes.

We have seen on TV how they handle people who decide to take the law into their own hand, protecting their own property, fighting off crimes or simply intervening to hel other victims. The whole enforcement and legal justice of the country sucks. Hence why I suggested that you should have a word with this guy in the 1st place. Clearly he is an !!!!!!! and wished I was at your social event, I would have talk some freaking sense into his tiny head. Falling that god knows the lenght I would have to go to ensure that my message gets into his peanut head.

Is there no why you can let the event organiser know and ask them not to serve him? Don't not let him know or invite him to any future outings.

I really hope he stops before the worst happens!
  • Tils
    Tils Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Did anything ever come with this dazzieboo?

Also which is your local police...you don't need to name the place just the area.. eg Thames Valley etc.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank You dazzieboo

I lost a friend a few yrs back to a drink driver - he had split with his gf that night & she had begged him not to drive- shame she didnt call the police - I have reported peeps before & would do so even if it was my own DH

(edit) Can you not get his keys off him - if he's as bad as you say he might just think he's lost 'em!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hsgamboy wrote: »

I think you and these guys are nothing but a "GRASS". This guy may have some really big problems and see drinking as a way out, you will not only destroy his life further but also that of his family. He might lose his job over this and his family will suffer. Give the guy a break.

I.

What a crock - you go on about destroying his life and his family. What about the life and family he could very well destroy when he gets in the car p.ssed off his head? Anyone who gets in a car after sinking that amount of booze deserves everything he gets.
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    I agree....and what's with the rather aggressive 'GRASS' in capitals each time you say it? (and...breath....be nice to all moneysavers, be nice to all moneysavers....). Yes, he might have some problems, and he might see drinking as a way out, but surely you can't belive that a drink driving conviction would ruin his life more than running over and killing a child???
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family