🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Catalogue delivery 'breaking & entering' to deliver my items

Options
I wonder if anyone can help.

In early September I ordered some items from a very well known catalogue company. Sadly a few days later my nan passed away suddenly and as a result I was staying with my parents.

When I returned home a few days later for some clothes I was shocked and concerned to find my living room window wide open with a large box showing to everyone as my curtains had been drawn. When I entered my property I was stunned that the large box was my order. When I left my property the window was pushed tight - to the nakied eye you would have thought it was shut. As a result it proved that the delivery person for the items had prized open my window posted the item through the window and then left the window wide open - I of course cannot advise how long this had been left open for as I hadn't been home.

After the funeral etc had taken place I contacted the company who advised at the same time a Fiorelli necklace had been delivered - this was nowwhere to be seen hence either not delivered or delivered but then taken. The manager promised a call back.

I never recieved a callback so called again - I spoke to another manager who advised the necklace wouldn't have been delivered at the same time yet had no reason for it being there. This item was credited to my account and I was promised I would be contacted back as soon as she finished her meeting to discuss compensation but also further investigation of this matter. This was about the end of September and I am still waiting a call.

I then sent numerous email recieving initially the automated response telling me they wouold respond in 5 days and then a resp9onse from a customer service adviser stating this matter had been passed onto another department and would be in touch.

A month went past and still no response. I then contacted them and stated I would make no further payments until this mnatter was resolved. Went through all of the above and was advised they would credit me with £20 with no apology or explanation for what legally would count as breaking and entering.

I have since contacted the company on a number of occasions and just get repeated actions of the above initially with th4e automated response then numerous emails t4elling me it is being passed on and will be dealt with in 3 days.

I have now emailed the Ombudsman and requested a manager name and contact number in relation to this but would appreciate any advice either professionally or from someone who has experienced something similar.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Breaking and entering?

The guy saw your window wasn't secure (you told us yourself it wasn't secure) and decided to deliver your item via your open window.

Ok, perhaps he could've made your window more secure before leaving.

What's that necklace stuff all about?
    Seems to me like totally not relevant.

I know it must've been a trying time, but why did you not secure your window before leaving for some days?

It's time you started putting things in writing... a real letter, not emails.
    Send all letters recorded delivery, they're more difficult to ignore than emails.

Good job no-one did break and enter... your insurance company would not've paid out if they found out about the place left unsecured.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As already said above, its not breaking and entering if the window wasnt locked, even if the delivery driver had entered the house via the open window no crime would have been committed unless something was taken or damaged.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    ELLEALAW wrote: »
    When I left my property the window was pushed tight - to the nakied eye you would have thought it was shut. As a result it proved that the delivery person for the items had prized open my window posted the item through the window and then left the window wide open - I of course cannot advise how long this had been left open for as I hadn't been home.

yes, that'll be it. The delivery man tried to deliver your parcel, when nobody answered he thought it'd be a good idea to pull on the windows just in case one wasn't lock.... and WOW he was right, your lounge window was only pushed too... result!!!
    So he shoved your parcel in leaving the window wide open and went on his merry way doing a little dance.

Don't you think it's more likely that somebody else had opened the window, possibly a potential burglar; and when the postman came to deliver your parcel he thought it'd be more helpful to you to just pop it in the lounge throught he window.
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    yes, that'll be it. The delivery man tried to deliver your parcel, when nobody answered he thought it'd be a good idea to pull on the windows just in case one wasn't lock.... and WOW he was right, your lounge window was only pushed too... result!!!
    So he shoved your parcel in leaving the window wide open and went on his merry way doing a little dance.

Don't you think it's more likely that somebody else had opened the window, possibly a potential burglar; and when the postman came to deliver your parcel he thought it'd be more helpful to you to just pop it in the lounge throught he window.

Exactly, or the parcel was left outside and a neighbour spotted a window open. Or some kids git in through an open window. Or anyone of hundreds of scenarios that don't involve a delivery man breaking and entering (or even have the time to do it)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Open window! just a big letterbox isn't it, He didn't break in and he didn't enter.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    so you just pushed/pulled your window tight while you left for a few days as you could not find the window catch to secure the window. someone decided to check to see if a window was not secure (doubt this would be a courier driver) and low and behold you might as well left a note on the window saying open window please help yourself.
    just say a burglar did enter and take things, the police and insurance company would most likely just laugh at you and you would get nothing off insurance as you left a window unsecure
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I would prefer that to a card saying 'please find your way to our depot to collect your parcel'. Very handy :)

You can't be sure that he left your window open - surely even a very strong wind could have done that job for him..? Or he pulled the window to but wasn't able to get the same kind of 'closure' that you had achieved.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I left my property the window was pushed tight - to the nakied eye you would have thought it was shut.

But it was still open - and insurance assessors would have a field day.
    As a result it proved that the delivery person for the items had prized open my window posted the item through the window

Prove it - it could have been the wind for all you know.

Also prized open is not true either, it was pushed to - whatever/whoever opened the window by applying light pressure, no prizing required.
    and then left the window wide open

Again, prove it.
    I would be contacted back as soon as she finished her meeting to discuss compensation

Compensation?!?! what on EARTH for? leaving a window unlocked?

Seriously this could have been ANYONE. Your circumstances don't change your obligations.

Sorry but this is entirely your fault.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2011 at 1:32PM
    Options
    i think the OP want us to vinticate then of any blame for being stupid and leaving an OPEN window while they went away for a few days.

i dont think the courier driver would of tried the window 9/10 this would have been open when he called so rather than leave a card the delivered the parcel by placed it in the open window.
    Next time OP when you go away for a few days if you look closely at your windows you will see a latch, if you close your window and move the latch guess what an amazing thing happens it SECURES your window
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mine has locks on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income