PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Best part of England to move to??

Options

Comments

• pusscat
    pusscat Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    I grew up in Shrewsbury so second that one!

I am currently living in the East Riding of Yorkshire and highly recommend it. 15 minutes to York, 40 minutes to Leeds, 20 minutes to the M62 - house prices are a bit high, plenty of market towns and villages. Less tourists than North Yorks, but just as pretty.

Downsides are lack of NHS dentists (costs £10 per month as a private patient) and snow on a regular basis.

It really depends if you need to be located close to anything, I am lucky as I work from home 4 days a week so I can live almost anywhere.
    I love living with my front door in the town, and my back door in the country....

Puss
  • freebo_2
    freebo_2 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.corbridge.gov.uk/

But maybe I'm biased :o
    Mike

Expat in Australia, but heading back to the UK when the dust settles.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :beer: Costa Blanca :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Madmel wrote:
    Poppy10, which part of Wessex do you mean?
    Hampshire/South Wiltshire
    poppy10
  • JoeyG
    JoeyG Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about Cheltenham?

Small town, edge of the Cotswolds... great shops, great nightlife, links to Birmingham, Bristol, London, and Wales (if you're that way inclined) :D
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm quite enjoying East Devon, but it depends on what you like or are used to.

I moved from S Manchester 9 years ago to Exeter and found it really odd. In Exeter, it seems to be the hub of the universe, but I hated not having shops like John Lewis or Ikea at first. However, after a while, I got used to it, and now I have kids, I love the fact that the quality of life is better, the countryside is on my doorstep and the sea close by.

Last year we moved out of Exeter into East Devon to a very small village close to the sea. This morning as we were setting off for school, all we could hear were birds, there is a stream across the lane and beautiful countryside all around us (we are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). We are 5 minutes from the beach, but 25 minutes from Exeter and you need a car as there is no public transport here.

Everywhere has good & bad points; you need to weigh up what is most important to you and go for that.
  • smreynard
    Options
    I moved from London to Lincolnshire over 20 years ago and since I came up here over 30 family and friends have followed! The Lincolnshire Wolds are an area of outstanding natural beauty, lovely little market towns, plenty of work, long sandy coast, fresh air, low crime rate and best of all the cheapest property around! I've been an estate agent for the last 20 years and plenty of 'outsiders' agree with me.
  • Jillinoz
    Jillinoz Posts: 164 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My vote's for Hebden Bridge, which is equidistant between Manchester and Leeds (but don't let that put you off!) and is in West Yorkshire.

We're apparently the fourth funkiest town in the world (according to that well known arbiter of what's-hot-and-what's-not, the British Airways inflight magazine!)

Seriously, though, we're the number one non-clone town in the UK, so no Starbucks, no Tesco, no KFC etc etc, just a raft of great little independent stores, including an organic grocers, traditional butchers, an old-fashioned chandlers, four well-stocked bookshops, a wealth of coffee shops and cafes and a fabulous deli selling wine, cheese and locally hand-made chocolates. As you can see, I never feel the need to shop anywhere else.

Plus, we are in the Pennines, so have wonderful walking, biking and horse-riding country, and are close to many other beauty spots, such as Haworth, the home of the Brontes.

And if you really need to go to Leeds or Manchester, the transport links are excellent.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Cumbria, but not the popular parts of the Lake District.

Options would be:

The Eden Valley - the healthiest place in Britain, apparently.
    Brampton and surrounding villages/Hadrian's Wall area
    The area around Sedbergh is also nice.

Carlisle has one of the best pedestrianised shopping centres I've been to. A good selection of shops and department stores as well.

Not forgetting The Toffee Shop in Penrith. World Famous!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Come up to Yorkshire! really friendly folk, great food , pretty towns and villages . Rugged hill and senic countryside.
    I live in Ilkley , with the famous moor! and its the best place I've ever lived.
    Its great , lovely spa town with 1st class facilities, and if your retiring everything is on your door step, with an airport about 10 miles away , direct train line to leeds. and the Yorkshire Dales right on your door step. Plus great for links to motorways for getting pretty much any where in the uk.
    Only down side is its a bit cold sometimes and the house prices in Ilkley are a bit steep compared to some other parts of Yorkshire
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport