PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Best part of England to move to??

Options
I currently live in the Midlands in a very good area - brill schools, very low crime, clean, nice people etc but my kids have all grown up and now OH & I would like to downsize and move . We want to go north (anywhere from north of Coventry onwards), but not to a city, We don't know and will never have time to find out all the great places there are so I thought I'd ask on here! Your opinions will be gratefully received.:beer:

Comments

• zipwen1
    zipwen1 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.richmond.org.uk/
    get yourself there loved this place when i was growing up, and still love it now. wish i was still there
  • Beatrix_Kiddo
    Options
    http://www.shrewsburyguide.info/

The most beautiful place on earth.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    I'd go to the Lake District personally, beautiful part of the country.
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Anywhere has got to be better than the midlands! :eek:

Only kidding! :p
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Options
    Anywhere has got to be better than the midlands! :eek:

Only kidding! :p

But whatever you do dont move to Liverpool.:rotfl:

Im in a simlar thing I'm still living at home I have a fair whack to put down as a deposit I've been saving for 8 years just incase I find something I like or a real bargain, I did go for somthing over in Hale a few years ago but a builder bought it for 2k more than my offer (asking price) :( It was potential gold mine a rundown barn just the 4 external walls a load of land and a pool in the garden. It needed major work but I was up for it as it was a nice area.

I drive alot in my job so I see lots of different places and so far I havnt really seen anywhere I could consider moving to. I have a long list of no never in a million years places like most of London inside the m25. Oxford is nice and pretty central for work almost, North Manchester is great for work loads of motorways I'm a few minutes from the M61 now so I can get anywhere easily.

Up in the lakes would be nice but everything is just so far away, the m6 is boring at the best of times. Central Wales is nice but again its a trek to get anywhere untill they build a motorway out of there and not the M4. Dont go to Norfolk/Suffolk there are way too many tractors

Good luck in your search
  • 1sue23
    1sue23 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    Skipton North Yorkshire ,I moved from Coventry and love it here.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Yorkshire is nice and so is Cumbria and the Scottish borders up past Newcastle.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Peak district, slap bang between Manchester/ Stockport and Sheffield. Absolutely beautiful, and theres a train service!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I concur with the Peak District - my Granny used to live there and the countryside is beautiful. Beer ain't bad too!
  • mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I lived in Harrogate for ten years, lovely place. Would recommend it to anyone.
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family