MSE News: Autumn Budget Statement: Benefits to rise 5.2% with inflation

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I don't have an issue with those on basic rate benefits getting an increase- but many low paid workers on tax credits are also increasingly squeezed and it's very unfair they don't get the increase too.
  • I exist on benefits (IB, IS and DLA) there is no way that I can afford a wide-screen TV.

I used to work. Unfortunately, disability means I can no longer manage even part-time employment. I already feel humiliated and down-trodden enough. Giving me food/clothing vouchers would take away the lest shred of dignity that I have. I am more than capable of dividing up my benefits and deciding how much I will spend on feeding the electric meter and how much I will spend on food.

The increase will come in useful woth the rising costs of fuel and food. However, I appreciate that the increase seems harsh to those who are working and not seeing their wages increase. But I believe that most people are better off working - financially and also with the self-respect that working gives. If it were possible, I would love to have a miracle cure and be able to go back to work.
  • It would be lovely if those with nothing constructive to say, would say nothing.

I'm glad to see a benefits increase, the cost of food, fuel etc has all gone up and how on earth anyone can begrudge an extra £5 to anyone in need is beyond me.

I'm on JSA right now, I'm not a scrounger, not workshy, don't watch jeremy kyle etc. I've worked for 22 years and never been out of work until now.

I find it difficult to cope on the weekly jobseekers amount when energy, fuel, food etc is rising steadily. I'd be much happier in my old job receiving my full time salary and paying bills etc myself rather than relying on help from the state.

its £5! hardly an amount for people to get het up over. when were benefits last increased? yes salaries aren't all going up but I certainly got a raise every year, even if some years it was only 2%
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What's wrong with introducing food and clothing vouchers etc so benefits can't be spent on 50 inch tellys? Scrap the money. Give it out in coupons.
    thats just stupid why cant i buy what i want with my benefits if i decide i want to live on beans on toast for a week so i can buy a x box game then thats up to me.
  • What's wrong with introducing food and clothing vouchers etc so benefits can't be spent on 50 inch tellys? Scrap the money. Give it out in coupons.

If that was to happen how would I pay for the holiday next year to Spain,

Oh and we only have a 37 inch TV in the front room and a 32 inch in the bedroom.
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    The housing association I work for, is making us take a pay cut. :mad: I only work 20 hours a week as also have to care for my ill hubby and elderly mother and also have disabilities myself but my pay will go down £2500 a year. Others whom I work with who work full time will see their pay go down £5000.
    If I dont sign on the dotted line to agree with this then I will be out of a job. :eek:
    Life on benefit is looking more and more appealing to me :money:
  • I wouldn't mind if my benefits were divided up into food vouchers etc, wouldn't bother me in the slightest however how would they work out how many food vouchers to give each person, I might use more in food than someone else but make my own clothes or buy second hand and not need clothing help. It doesn't make any sense and those that scream about it show their ignorance as to how much money it would cost to implement. Benefits are there to help and it is no-ones business as to how they are spent.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    wellynever wrote: »
    If that was to happen how would I pay for the holiday next year to Spain,

Oh and we only have a 37 inch TV in the front room and a 32 inch in the bedroom.
    very true being at home all day watching Jeremy Kyle we need are holidays hope there samsung and are HD.
  • dave030445 wrote: »
    very true being at home all day watching Jeremy Kyle we need are holidays hope there samsung and are HD.

Home all day but never seen Jeremay Kyle never watch daytime TV and only usually watch the History Channel,

Samsung for front room but cheaper Sanyo for bed room Full HD and yes we have sky, It's only my partner that holidays abroad as my disability stops me from having any holiday.
  • flight747 wrote: »
    Sack the whole lots of government. Time to call up General Election

I have no idea who I would vote if there was to be an election :o I have always voted but gawd knows now.
    What's wrong with introducing food and clothing vouchers etc so benefits can't be spent on 50 inch tellys? Scrap the money. Give it out in coupons.

People sell their fruit, veg and milk tokens now for half the value so I am not sure if that would work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure