Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Options

Comments

• pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just made a few cake decs.

I added a bit off red food colouring to some marzipan and made 3 balls, the berries of holly, and green to the rest for holly leaves. Will leave them to dry over night before doing the royal icing tommorrow, as I need decs for the top of the 4 small cakes. And really didnt want to go and buy fondant icing, which pushes the price up, or buy ready made decs.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • CupcakeSuzie
    Options
    I've already made (and sold 3 of) 4 cakes for this year :D looks like a nice kit though!
  • kimmie
    kimmie Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All, quick question....... Do you think I could bake this cake and put nuts and cherries on top instead of the icing? I dont like marzipan :-P
  • pretzelnut
    Options
    kimmie wrote: »
    Hi All, quick question....... Do you think I could bake this cake and put nuts and cherries on top instead of the icing? I dont like marzipan :-P

Like this http://crocodilesisters.co.uk/our-cakes.html

Cant see why not.

PS all marzipan is is ground almonds!
  • Siren1974
    Options
    Just sent hubby out to pick up one of these. I've already made and decorated 5 cakes of my own for family (using a Mary Berry recipe) so will be interesting to see how this compares. This one will go with hubby to work, mine are too good for those fellas lol
    Smashed through my weightloss target. Looking at 120lbs+ loss. BMI over 40 down to 20.5. Training hard to get body fat under 20%, not far to go now :j
  • Sally22_2
    Options
    I have just bought the cupcakes kit which I will probably bake on Thursday afternoon, think I will buy another bag anyway just because at £2.50 you cant go wrong! Will update you on how they turn out then!
    Slimming World Member - Started 05/02/15

• dcon_blue
    dcon_blue Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    Options
    I cant post pics, well I refuse to as I dont do photobucket.

And Ihave already cut it into 4 smaller round cakes, using a pastry cutter and a knife, had to be careful as its not a firm cake, and didnt want it falling apart with all the fruit in it. as I had some small cake boards lying around, and theres 4 sets of grandparents, so will make them 1 each.

Obviously there were some bits left over and I will say they were mighty yummy, and very filling, so I was glad I cut it down, otherwise the grandparents would have been eating it for month's.

Mmm ... now there's an idea ... could you just bake them in pudding pots for small round cakes?:cool:
  • pretzelnut
    Options
    dcon_blue wrote: »
    Mmm ... now there's an idea ... could you just bake them in pudding pots for small round cakes?:cool:

I could have but I didnt have any small dishes / cake tins and I wasnt going to buy them just for this purpose.

If you bake a square cake you can just cut it into 1/4's and have 4 small square cakes.
  • Miss_Mollie
    Options
    Cant see why not, mine came out looking like that, and im no cake baker, the marzipan on the top hides the rounded bit where its risen slightly, and royal icing is easy.

Princess Woo, the knack is to turn it upside down then marzipan and ice what was the base of the cake, then you have a lovely flat surface to work with!

Like you, I have already made one - posted last Friday on the Tesco Mega reduction thread - and husband is already a third through it!
  • trolleydolley
    Options
    They look so lovely, but like Lisaberry's dad I am diabetic. Went to have a look becos really wanted the cupcakes but it says there is 54g of sugar in each cupcake.

Enjoy - I will have to give them a miss :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport