Carer's Allowance etc ...

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It's probably just a short-hand way of saying it. I say my parents both get CA when they're receiving the underlying entitlement.

Possibly but as the OP isn't even sure of the pension status posssibly not.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    Apparently my gran keeps saying they both get CA at 'the highest rate'. I have looked for the paperwork but haven't yet found anything.

We now reckon that my gran gets a state pension, my grandad has a private one.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    sounds more like attendance allowance to me
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    You need to consider unforeseen circumstances :

- after a lifetime together they may be 'split up' with one continuing in the marital home and your dad into care
    - and the fact that your intervention [ no matter how well intended ] may lead to your mother may disowning and hating you

The SS with your parents agreement can send in a 'team' of about 6 people and several skips and improve their circumstances. However without their agreement for the disposal, they can do nothing other than certificate them as ' not able to care for themselves' with resulting consequences.

- you need to consider unforeseen circumstances

They're not my parents, they are my grandparents. My gran doesn't particularly like me anyway. I have always been closer to my grandad which is probably why I want to fight his corner.

It sounds awful, but I would prefer my grandad to move into a home if we could find a decent one. He doesn't know where he is most of the time, so I don't think the new surrounding would bother him too much. I feel my gran is ruling his life and he has no say in anything. It's awful to watch, because he used to be on top of everything in the house, and keep records of their money etc.

I keep trying to tell my gran that it's better for family to help them than get into a situation where the SS have to get involved. She ignores me and changes the subject. If anyone else tries, she does the same.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options

I wonder if she's got herself completely confused. It wouldn't surprise me. With no paperwork, how would I go about finding out the correct details?
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Why the focus on money / detail / paperwork / etc ? .. .. its unimportant in the scheme of things. Which financial benefit flows from which source going in which direction is / will become / irrelevant.

If you feel someone is being neglected and needs protection and care - do so.

In this case ring the appropriate services in about 8 hours from this post, your grand-dad will get what you believe he needs in a~n~other~place. What happens to the other parties, including yourself, your grand-mother, and your family after that event is yet to unfold but it will, as you say be irrelevant to you, the important thing to you is you helped as you saw fit at the time.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I can't advise you about the carer's allowance claim but it's a frequent occurance that 2 disabled people can claim carer's allowance for each other. Doesn't really make sense.

I'd forget about the DWP side of things and try and get your family together to agree a plan for your grandfather's sake.

Social Services should help but you'll have to be persistent.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As I understand it, they would both need to be getting AA in order to both claim the underlying entitlement to CA. I think this depends on their income so, if Grandad has a private pension he may not be entitled to CA anyway.
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    I can't advise you about the carer's allowance claim but it's a frequent occurance that 2 disabled people can claim carer's allowance for each other. Doesn't really make sense.

I'd forget about the DWP side of things and try and get your family together to agree a plan for your grandfather's sake.

My parents both get CA because they support each other throughout the day and night. Carers, including me, go in and out but they wouldn't be able to be left alone the rest of the time. If either of them goes into hospital, we have to arrange for someone to stay at the house. They are able to call for help when one of them has a fall, Dad makes sure that Mum hasn't left the gas on or taps running, between them they are able to make light meals by sharing the work.

OneYorkshireLass - I would have to be proactive in your situation. Your Grandad is in a very vulnerable situation. If he is not being kept clean and given good nutrition and is living and sleeping in cold and damp conditions, someone needs to step in.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    As I understand it, they would both need to be getting AA in order to both claim the underlying entitlement to CA. I think this depends on their income so, if Grandad has a private pension he may not be entitled to CA anyway.

My parents both get CA because they support each other throughout the day and night. Carers, including me, go in and out but they wouldn't be able to be left alone the rest of the time. If either of them goes into hospital, we have to arrange for someone to stay at the house. They are able to call for help when one of them has a fall, Dad makes sure that Mum hasn't left the gas on or taps running, between them they are able to make light meals by sharing the work.

OneYorkshireLass - I would have to be proactive in your situation. Your Grandad is in a very vulnerable situation. If he is not being kept clean and given good nutrition and is living and sleeping in cold and damp conditions, someone needs to step in.

It's possible that both are claiming Attendance Allowance and not carer's allowance. People do call things by different names! If they have both become disabled after age 65 then this is likely. It also sounds more likely to me that Grandad gets state retirement pension - what he'd call old age pension - and that your Gran gets it through his contributions i.e. 60% of what he gets. If that's the case, both on state pensions plus AA and some private pension (Grandad) then they have a reasonable income. No need to live in this state at all unless they - mainly Grandma - choose to.

I would hate, hate, hate, the thought of 6 people coming in with skips. What a thought. I really don't know what the answer is. Although Grandad's mind has gone, Grandma still has a mind of her own. God knows what she sees in daytime TV. It's mind-bogglingly boring, but then, some people do seem to like it.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Yes, I mean attendance allowance the over 65's version of DLA, I reached this conclusion when the OP sated that they are both on high rate of it, there is no High rate of carers allowance so has to be attendance allowance.

I agree, needs must, and they need help, money arrangements come after, UNLESS you are an appointee (perhaps that would be a good idea for the future)
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport