PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Grey Queen, (and other pie ladies) just noticed on the Lidl thread that they're doing Fray Bentos pies for 99p

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3701097
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sammy Kaye, Chilli con carne would be quite good for packed lunch. It actually stays hot till lunchtime in a wide mouth Thermos, I do this for my DD2 on cold days. And thick minestrone with an extra handful of pulses to make it even thicker is good as well - lots of veggies and protein from the pulses
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sammy - chilli, hotpot, casseroles, pretty much anything you have been buying in ready meal format you could do and send in to be microwaved. You could even bag up a potato and add a pot with a filling and some salad, he can then micro the potato and throw the topping over

Families are sent to try us, I suffered for many years with OH parents who hated me, they were even nasty to my mum the day DD was born! BUt I put up with it for his sake, when DS was born I was really ill and they were awful (arriving at house with no notice - then complaining I hadnt cleaned!!), his mum said that DS wasnt OHs as he looked nothing like him. All while OH was out of room, then cried all over OH when she left as I had been "nasty" and wouldnt let her touch DS!!
    OH was incredibly angry with me - I warned him he would be better dropping the topic or else I would say something he would regret - he didnt so I told him everything that had been said and done. He walked out - strangely he went to my parents - who told him everything that had been said to them too, a friend popped in and she told him other stuff I had been upset by that she knew of.
    He came home -asked more and slowly over days the whole story emerged - he was upset, but didnt do anything. Then his mum rang to get an apology - he refused and quietly told her he wasnt happy. Askled her if she had said Ds wasnt his - she denied it and hung up. His dad rang later to shout and tell him that he was to apologise to his mother and that he had to being me into line - OH told him to go away!!

We moved a month later and never let on where too, on the whole we have nothing whatsoever to do with them, on occassion his sister drops a letter into my parents for him - usually with a dramatic sob story - always upsets OH but he still stays away.

I know its hard for him but its his choice - I have always said if he wants to get back in touch he can - my only proviso is that he cannot take the kids. he is clear he doesnt want to go back.

If you are not getting anything out of relationship over time then what is the point? Relationships should be about give and take, sometimes you work together and others you help a person forward but if you cant say that they would help you forward then its not an equal relationship and is not in your interest. :)

DS7 is back in school today and I am worrying myself silly - after all the shenanigans before Christmas I am deeply concerned. His teacher is still off so I cant even progress anything forward regarding complaints etc.

I am quite proud though as I have just ordered some stuff from BHS for gifts throughout the year which means I am starting to get organised, and I have bought DD a present for her birthday in March!!

I am planning on writing a list later of all the gifts I will need over the year and keeping in my bag so that I can cross off every time I buy a gift.
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2012 at 3:25PM
    Options
    I sympathise with anyone with family problems.

My own parents were terrible! My mother is a narcissistic control freak and my dad (now deceased) was a weak willed co-dependent who pandered to her. I met my grandmother (dad's side) for the first time a few days ago. My mother apparantly was sickly sweet to them until she had her claws into my dad by marrying him (very soon after meeting). A month or so after the wedding, a letter hit the doormat to tell them to stay away from him. Being very weak, my dad went along with it to keep her happy. This was all before I was born. Apparantly my paternal grandfather wasn't taken in by my mom from the start and I think that's why she didn't want them around. Unfortuntely my grandad died 12 years ago so I never got to meet him. My mom made my childhood a misery and I was glad to be rid of her. I haven't seen my mom in over 8 years, she's now a lonely and bitter old woman with no puppets to do her bidding, I suppose that's the risk you run when you manipulate people to the extent she did.

Like you Sammy, my MIL was fantastic from the start, given that I'd only been with OH for around a month when everything kicked off with my mom. She took me in and I can safely say that I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for her and OH's family. There's no way they could understand the extent of my mother and her actions is but they know a reconciliation will never happen.

There's not much happening on the home front, OH has a lot of essays due in next week, so I have the kids while he is getting them done. DS1 is back to school tomorrow so hopefully things will get back to normal.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone :) Dropped D.S off at airport this morning. He was here for a week so was lovely to see him. We went to a shopping outlet as we were near it, to get a few things we needed not wanted:) Delighted to get the wee bargains as always:) Then we went to Sainsburys on way home, to pick up some groceries we really need. Delighted with bill as I had two coupons in purse and I had stuck to my list as we had plenty in the cupboards but freezer was running low etc. I only had to pay £12.47p as I had lots of nectar points:) Happy days. Welcome to anyone new. Lovely to see you here.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Margaret54 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) Dropped D.S off at airport this morning. He was here for a week so was lovely to see him. We went to a shopping outlet as we were near it, to get a few things we needed not wanted:) Delighted to get the wee bargains as always:) Then we went to Sainsburys on way home, to pick up some groceries we really need. Delighted with bill as I had two coupons in purse and I had stuck to my list as we had plenty in the cupboards but freezer was running low etc. I only had to pay £12.47p as I had lots of nectar points:) Happy days. Welcome to anyone new. Lovely to see you here.

Glad you ok hun.

Any news on job front?

was thinking earlier how you doing.

well done on bargains.

right got to dash school run.
    catch up later.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone tell me how you multiple quote in a post please?

Wen, did you find out how to see avatar's? It's lovely seeing them all!
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how you multiple quote in a post please?

Wen, did you find out how to see avatar's? It's lovely seeing them all!

Click the multi post icon on the bottom of the posts oyu want to quote (it's the pic of 2 speech bubbles) and hit "post reply" button, then you should be able to do it.
  • paidinchickens
    Options
    wen3 wrote: »
    Morning All

Hope everyone is okay I am feeling better today, just as well as I am driving to Cornwall on the morning for a few days away. We are taking MIL and FIL as well and staying in a cottage. Have been out this morning and brought a few provisions to see us through.

I am soooo jelous ;)

Sorry to hear all the family and friend problems. I sometimes think it is harder when friendships fail as they are people you choose to have in your life.

Had to do a trek into the city :( I hate shops and did not want to go, could have quite happily stood in line with the kids who did not want to go to school :rotfl: but as I am supposed to be a grown up I decided not to stamp my feet and suffered in silence instead :D

Had to buy DS a rugby shirt for school. £14.99 can not find cheaper even online and think schools should really look at their uniform policy especially when so many families are struggling :mad: Rugby shirts being the worst as DS only wore the last one twice before growing out of it but luckily we have two other boys who will get to wear that one when they grow into it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

A fermenting bucket and some seeds for wilk* and some onion sets from £1 shop along with some other bits and bobs.

Compost from B&* as it was down to £2 a bag.

So all in all an expensive spendy day :o

Don't know what to do for tea as I am feeling a little quiffy and can't even look at food so I think the kids will be at the mercy of DHs cooking :D the first thing they ask when they see him cooking is "are we having mash?" as they hate his as he makes it lumpy.

PIC x
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    PIC I hear you there, when you say it's harder when friendships fail than when family falls out. I struggled, and still do struggle, with losing my friends over not living the money flinging Jones' stereotype. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the family fallout tough.

I rescued yesterday's fiasco of curtain shrinkage. They were ironed to a millimetre of their life and I moved the hooks. They're now draped to hide the fact they don't quite touch the window sill. It looks pretty if not a bit twee. I can do twee lol Thanks for the advice :)

I have been reading all the sorrowful posts the last few days. I read and I hurt but just didn't know what to say. In times of utter sorrow writing on a forum just seems so false and words never read how you intend them. Sorry for being so quiet and not writing down my support, I was with you all in heart as you were typing though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport