DFS sofa care is it worth it.??

Options
alwaystryyourbest
alwaystryyourbest Posts: 286 Forumite
edited 23 November 2011 at 2:36AM in Marriage, relationships & families
I have just brought a leather sofa and also brought the sofa care with it £220 it is meant to fix sofas if they get damaged by rips or stains,
,but does anyone know if the care plan is worth it good or bad stories please as i still have 10 days to get out of the plan and get a refund is it worth it or not...
as i can't decide half of me says yes but more of me says no,, but i do have 6 children to do damage so might be worth keeping,,
Help please....xx
£176,000 January 2014

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    £220? For that sort of money you could buy a decent second-hand one if it came to it. Which in all likelihood would be better quality than the new DFS piece of sh!te. They are renowned for their absolutely appalling quality. Buy at your peril, I say.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    no its not worth it ,we paid for the cover with our 1st leather suite and called them out when it split and the colour came off all they did was glue it and spray colour on through a straw ! the repair lasted 2 weeks so we called them out again and they just repeated the process . needless to say it didnt last long and we got rid of it no long after.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're worried, put the £200 in a bank account and keep it for when/if the sofa needs cleaning or repairing.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't bother, l took one out with our leather sofa and wouldn't bother again, waste of money IMO.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've yet to meet anyone whose DFS sofa lasted 5 years to be honest so with you having 6 kids.... good luck. How long will the policy last? Read the exclusions - they may make you think twice.

Some of my friends have complained about the quality (not had a care policy) and it always boils down to DFS saying it's normal wear and tear or manhandling by the owners rather than admitting it's a manufacturing defect or poor quality.

I'm still using a 25 year old Ercol sofa and chairs and just keep re-covering it - it may be expensive at first but the purchase price divided by 25 years makes it a lot cheaper per year that the "value" brands such as DFS and Furnitureland etc - But then I'm an old git and don't have an image to keep up any more.
    :hello:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt, but first I would check if my household contents insurance covered accidental damage to furniture! normal wear and tear wont be covered by the DFS cover anyway. small tears or damage can often be repaired at home anyway - lots of threads on here to tell you how!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Options
    I have just brought a leather sofa and also brought the sofa care with it £220 it is meant to fix sofas if they get damaged by rips or stains,

Completely off topic but have you answered on this thread yet? ;)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3625303

:D
    :hello:
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2011 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Well I have a DFS leather sofa x 2 and 1 chair and they have lasted 3 years with no problems whatsoever. I have one daughter 16, one dog who is asleep on it at the moment and various visiting family members one who weighs over 20 stone!! it gets well used. The only mark on it is from my daughters nebuliser (bramnitob??) when it leaked last month nothing else seems to touch it, I am now wondering if it's worth claiming on the house insurance. I would recommend using the extra money to pay for the better quality leather but I guess it's a bit late for that.

(Now I've said this I'm sure it's going to collapse into all it's separate components before the day is out!!)

Must add that the Ercol suite I had second hand in the 80's then went on to my SIL then to her SIL and has just been recovered and is in use in my MIL's conservatory!!
    Slightly bitter
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like the latest money making scheme on the lines of extended warranty where the store makes more off the after sale thing than they do on the initial item.

If you do go for these sort of things then don't get them from the store you bought the item check online first.

Or do it yourself:
    How to: http://www.sofa.com/caring-for-your-sofa
    Kits around £20ish: http://www.sofabedsworld.co.uk/c/Sofa_Care.htm

Then take the other £200 and book a weekend away! :)
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • merlot123
    Options
    I have a DFS sofa and a chair, I love it, I have had it eight years, 2 cats, 2 children and an indoor rabbit and it still looks new.

I had a problem with the colour coming off, I phoned DFS, they came out and fixed it. 3 years later, the repair is still good.

I recommend DFS.

I took the care policy out, not sure if I would do that again, as you can get people into recolour the sofa if needed for less. I used furniture clinic for my Laura Ashley chair as my son jeans stud scratched it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure