PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Options
167891012»

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    here... Making Paper Bricks

HTH :)

I'll add this thread onto that one later.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    Just adding to this thread to say that Argos have reduced the compressors to £6.99 again. I've ordered one to pick up today. I want to use it outside on the firepit as we need something to keep us warm on those freezing July nights!! :mad:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3450688.htm
  • flaire
    flaire Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    After experimenting for a few years, I think I've perfected my paper log recipe. Firstly, I shred the paper (all sorts - not just newspapers - there's something rather satisfying about shredding, soaking and burning your bills).

2/3 paper mix
    1/3 fallen leaves (luckily I have a mature hazel in my garden - the rest of the leaves I use to make leaf mould)
    A handful of coal dust

Soak for one week.

Using the gizmo, squeeze and squeeze and squeeze!

Place on the wire racks of the greenhouse for one month.

Use at the start of the fire. I use one per 'burn'. They aren't, as others have mentioned, brilliant at producing lots of heat, however I find them great for starting a fire. I've never had a fire go out after using one.
    :hello:
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    I was thinking further about this topic and wondered if I could make some small bricks for use in the barbecue... has anyone tried this?

I'm going to make up a small amount of shredded paper and water, then squeeze the water out with my potato ricer. I'll put them on the radiators so they should be dry in a short period of time. Maybe they will be good as fire starters on the barby.

I don't have an indoor fire so would be using full size ones on my firepit, however I don't want to have to wait weeks for them to dry before trying them out so this little experiment will tell me if its a worthwhile project? Any thoughts on if its a good idea?
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    Well I went ahead and made a couple of small bricks in my potato ricer, it worked really well actually. They are drying on the radiator and I can't wait to give them a trial.

I shall report back if they burn well.
  • Rosemary_Jane
    Options
    Oooh, I love the idea of these, but have no fire or stove - yet!

I've been wondering about getting a kelly kettle, or cheaper storm kettle, to have for emergency power cuts, like this one -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Scout-Kelly-Kettle%C2%AE-Alu/dp/B004FMYAUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341997309&sr=8-2

Maybe I can make the little 'handful-sized' logs that people have mentioned, and use those in there. During power cuts, the weather will probably stop one going out and finding twigs, but I have a small wall near the back door to use the kettle outside.

I should be working....
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    I think the small ones will be better. It seems that the main concern with the large machine is that they take too long to dry. By making small ones I imagine they will be dry within a few days and will be much easier to just throw on a bbq to supplement the charcoal.

Its certainly got me excited at the thought of free fuel!:j
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make them - putting paper waste in a bin with a lid in the garden over two or three weeks, leave to soak for a further week and then have a brick making session - I make them over the summer so they're dry for when we need them. As others have said they produce a fair amount of ash and don't give off loads of heat, but are perfect for keeping the stove in overnight without using more expensive fuel, and for putting in the chimnea in the garden when i'm working out there in the winter - I cook baked potatoes for lunch over them!!

WCS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We tear up newspaper into long strips and soak it for a couple of days so it becomes papier mache. We have a brick shaped log maker and dry the logs in the greenhouse on a wrack, they can take up to a week to get really dry. We have a woodburner and find the paper logs are really good to put on as you light it up , they seem to act as a firelighter and get the fire going quickly. We start making in March most years and go on for as long as it is warm enough for them to dry. We made more than 200 last year and are over 120 this year. Good way to use up newspaper. Don't find they are too ashy either and the sweep always compliments us on having a hot burning fire with little soot in the chimney. Cheers Lyn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure