PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Ours has an insert that you lift out and the brick is then easy to slide out. How does yours work? Pictures might be useful

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    That does sound like mine. The problem is in getting the insert out of the press.

If this link works it will show you the one i have
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paper-Log-Maker-recycle-your-waste-paper-Full-Metal_W0QQitemZ170199775535QQihZ007QQcategoryZ303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is a different model than that but I tip it upside down on a tray and give it a tap on the bottom with a small hammer and it just falls out. Don't feel I've been much help there but I find it works better if the paper has had a good soak. They also take forever to dry so I would'nt plan on using them this winter, I'm hoping that dh is going to make me some sort of drying rake.
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    joannasmum wrote: »
    Mine is a different model than that but I tip it upside down on a tray and give it a tap on the bottom with a small hammer and it just falls out. Don't feel I've been much help there but I find it works better if the paper has had a good soak. They also take forever to dry so I would'nt plan on using them this winter, I'm hoping that dh is going to make me some sort of drying rake.
    Yeah they do take a while to dry, but we've sorted out a drying rack, so they dry within a week. Mind you he has only made a couple of dozen at a time.
    The damp ones are good though for keeping the fire burning slowly without giving out too much heat, just like coal dross really.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi trying-very-trying,

There's an older thread on making paper logs so I've added your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

This thread might be of interest too:

OS firelighters

Pink
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ohh I love this idea!

Have noted it all down as a progect for my husbands youth group. They are going camping in the summer so I wonder if the nuggets and logs would burn on a campfire? It's lit mainly because it's part of tradition and it keeps the midges away!
  • aimeelister
    aimeelister Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I make my own logs using one of these . After reading several threads I invested in one of these instead of ones that you have to get em wet and then dry them.
    It works very well. Easy to do. They dont last ages, but burn with a decent heat. But as they are easy to sit and make whilst watching the TV it isnt so bad that they dont burn that long. I recommend you pack them well. It makes them burn longer.
    I didnt get them from the site but from here which is cheaper.

HTH
    A
  • Claire70_2
    Claire70_2 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    bump.. found this thought we could start making them for winter
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    <grin> I have a batch of paper soaking as we speak ... it's been soaking for a number of weeks due to one thing or another .. but tomorrow it's going to be shaped into bricks and then another load made up ... my shredded paper is taking over the shed!!

With the cost of fuel rising at the rate it is I reckon we're going to need as many as we can get made this Summer.

For info, the bricks burn really well (couple of hours) and make great starters as well if you make 'em in small lumps.

I love the fact that it get rids of confidential waste and saves us money :)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Claire70_2
    Claire70_2 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Well Ive just had a go at making some by hand... . and given in and bought a log maker from Ebay £17-99 inc postage so looks like I'll be soaking paper for the next 3 months for the fire lol

OH thinks Im mad, but Ive told him the way things are going we have to do something
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure