PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Options

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Once you get the knack of using it, it goes quite well and I think it probably compacts a lot more paper in?
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    ok i my be sad ? i make mine in a old loaf tin with a pice wood top with 2 gramps some time i add some saw dust it works for me
  • joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is spooky just been thinking about buying a log maker today. Has anybody tried this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paper-Log-Maker-Free-Eco-Friendly-Recyled-Solid-Fuel_W0QQitemZ180022179442QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38220QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry for the long link I have no idea how to make it smaller.
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, logs made. This is DH speaking. I have made my own log maker using square downspout about 6" - 7" long and some square timber slightly smaller in width but about 3 foot long. I drilled about 20 holes randomly in the sides of the downspout to assist drainage. I soak my crosscut shredded paper in a bucket of water, load the downspout until its full then put on the floor and squeeze it down really hard with the wood. turn it over and the same again. then turn the whole heath robinson contraption upside down and then grip the downspout and push against the wood. job done, a fully comressed paper log. leave for about a month to fully dry out and these babies burn for about an hour and look just like charcoal embers when the flames have died down. you can cut the wood to whatever length suits you best for your height.
    If anyone wishes, I can post photos.

I cant see that a commercial one could do any better a job than these home made ones.

Hope this helps.
  • kaznelson
    kaznelson Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you use printer paper for these?
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kaznelson wrote:
    Can you use printer paper for these?

We use whatever we've got in the shredder.
  • kittykat500
    Options
    I'm thinking of investing in one of these to bung in the fire to make the coal go further and also to do my bit for recycling.

If anyone has used one, would they recommend it?

As I understand it, the type of stuff you make it out of will regulate how long it burns - anyone know what type of filling would make it burn the longest?

Also, if anyone knows the cheapest place to get one, I'd also appreciate it:j
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi kittykat,

There are a couple of older threads that might help you:

Making Paper Bricks

Free logs for the fire or chimnea

Pink
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have been following this thread with fascination. Alas we have no open fireplace so I cannot try it out, but I do remember my grandmother making bricquettes with damp newspaper during the last war to save on fuel. She would line them up on the tiled surround at the base of the fireplace so that the heat from the fire would dry them out. That dates me !
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I hope that this is in the correct place, please accept my apologies if it should be elsewhere.
    Does anyone make paper logs?
    I thought that this would be a good way of recycling my dad's newspapers and providing us with cheap heat. I got one of those paper briquette style moulds from ebay. It did work well, but hubby says NO MORE. I refused to give up, so I soaked the paper today, filled the mould, squashed as much water out as I could manage, but now I can't get the log out of the mould. Hubby just said it is a curse and he's not doing any more END OF STORY!
    Surely there must be someone out there who has a tip to help me, there must be a knack. I did think that they were great when they were made for me.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure