MSE News: Margaret Thatcher 'leader to knock Britain into shape'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
103 replies 8.9K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Thatcher has been voted the Prime Minister best equipped to lead Britain in 2011 by a poll of MoneySavers ..."

Replies

• JC_DerbyJC_Derby Forumite
    740 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    yeah just what we could do with.
    National strikes, race riots, pointless wars....oh wait:mad:
  • mattytunmattytun Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    screamingls.jpg
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • edited 18 November 2011 at 12:25PM
    tagq2tagq2 Forumite
    382 posts
    edited 18 November 2011 at 12:25PM
    In a poll of
      , people voted
    [the game changer] plus [two recent names] as most able to do [something].

Do we have an age distribution for site visitors? Some polls suggest we have quite a lot of people in their late 20s/early 30s, fitting the nostalgia filter rule quite well: things were always best just before you became aware of them and have been going down since.

In other news, Stalin knocked the Russian economy into shape; Mussolini the Italian; Franco the Spanish. Tomorrow belongs to...
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be fair, how many of those polled actually remember politics pre 1970s?

Margaret Thatcher was the obvious choice as she is still known as the Iron Lady. Anyone who lived through her leadership will remember times of cruel poverty and a cabinet that quaked in their boots. Besides which, after her ill-health over the past few years she's not fit to govern a damn thing, if she ever was. I'm surprised at people's rose-tinted memory of her...!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I suppose if you define knocking Britain into shape as making the poor poorer and the rich richer then maybe

She had a very narrow view of 'Britain' which I suspect was confined to certain parts of England anyway
  • aptapt Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you wanted a leader who could take Britain into a second recession Thatcher's already done that and got the t-shirt.
  • FairzoFairzo Forumite
    274 posts
    Hell fire, how soon people forget or ignore how others were affected - if they were around at the time at all.

This is something better to sign up to http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2979
  • AzariAzari Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a classic example of a self selecting sample.

The type of person who believes that the myriad interrelated problems we face, many of them based on factors originating outside this country can be solved by someone 'knocking the country into shape' are likely to take a similarly naive and simplistic view of the type of person required to do it.

People with a deeper and more realistic appreciation of the problems involved are unlikely to vote for anything so unrealistic.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • edited 18 November 2011 at 1:21PM
    dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2011 at 1:21PM
    I'm surprised at people's rose-tinted memory of her...!

You cannot ignore the fact that she turned around this country from being virtually bankrupt and close to being reclassified as the first developed economy to be reclassifed as third world into something that we could be proud of. The later years were not as successful and errors made but she was certainly the right person for the job at the right time. Just held on too long. Very tough decisions needed to be made and she made them. Not the fudging and pandering and useless compromises that have been made since.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • It's thanks to the policies she started in the 80 and continued by successive governments of all colours that we're in this bloody mess now!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support