Free and Cheap Insulation Official Discussion

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've got someone coming round on Friday to do a survey for the EDF offer, can't remember off the top of my head the company name. Will come back to you all with an update once I've seen him.

I`ve got someone coming next Tuesday from the company SIG Energy Management.
    I`ll post then. (CWI only)
  • ellielovesem
    Options
    kleapatra wrote: »
    filled in a form which I had to sign and off he went

Presume this isn't compulsory to actually sign up at the time? I'll want to go away and discuss with my Dad first (:o) and he's away until next week.

I guess we will see, look forward to hearing other people's updates as and when.
    :eek: - Just because I love this emoticon!
    Options
    Presume this isn't compulsory to actually sign up at the time? I'll want to go away and discuss with my Dad first (:o) and he's away until next week.

I guess we will see, look forward to hearing other people's updates as and when.

No you don`t have to sign up at the time although you may get the spiel that you do.

Most of these so-called "surveyors" are basically salesmen, who may not be directly employed by the installation company, but work freelance on a commission basis.
    Chances are he`ll call back when you`ve decided or even leave it with you to post later.
    If you`re not entirely happy don`t sign.
  • jonty1970
    jonty1970 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Weatherseal?
    My cousin has had her cavity walls done and the loft.
    A man knocked on one day and she agreed to them coming back and doing a survey.
    Her husband works, so no benefits and they own the house.
    He said it was free.

I told her to be careful, in case she gets sent a bill at a later date, but the chap said they fill out the forms and claim it all back.

Is it genuine?
  • Micky_Mouse
    Options
    Big thumbs up (for a change) to Npower who are currently offering free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation (subject to survey) to all their Spreading Warmth customers. Received my letter last week and now waiting for the surveyor to call to make an appointment.

Really looking forward to clearing out the loft.:eek:
    We can't find you now
    But they're gonna get the money back somehow
    And when you finally disappear
    We'll just say that you were never here
  • ellielovesem
    Options
    Had my visit today from a chap from DGI.

I can get the loft insulation for free and he recommended 'Thermabead Diamond' for the cavity wall insulation which will cost £99, only free for the cheaper stuff that apparently isn't so good! Still seems like a decent deal to me.

No hard sell and I'll be discussing with Dad and calling him next week to sort it out if Dad agrees ;)
    Options
    'Thermabead Diamond' for the cavity wall insulation which will cost £99, only free for the cheaper stuff that apparently isn't so good!

Isn`t this just a bit of a con to get money from you for something which is supposed to be free?
    Why are they using cheaper stuff if it`s "not as good" and how, after paying for the dearer stuff, do you know which one they actually use.
    All CWI must have some sort of British Stardard so if the cheaper stuff isn`t suitable why use it.

It seems to me that loft insulation and CWI is like everything else in this country, a bit of a con.
    These companies get X amount of money for X amount of material used.
    Everything over and above that amount is extra "money to be made" by them.

The latest "jump on the bandwagon" money maker, after DGlazing, loft and CWI, is solar panels.

OK, if your happy to pay the extra £99, £50 or whatever, fair enough, but if something is supposed to be free, then you should be paying nothing.
    Anyway it`s not really free because we all pay for it through higher energy bills.
  • ellielovesem
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    Isn`t this just a bit of a con to get money from you for something which is supposed to be free?

This is definitely a fair point, they shouldn't be saying it's free when it isn't. The chap went straight into the whole £99 thing and I actually had to ask him why it wasn't free. I'd be interested to know if this is a way for the middle men to make some money out of this, there isn't anything on the EDF website to give clarification.

I am happy to pay the £99 as it is still cheaper than paying the whole whack, I'd be interested to see if this is what's going on with some of the other offers. I'm a BG customer so would be entitled to their scheme but could just be more of the same.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kleapatra wrote: »
    comfirmed I only have 100mm of insulation when I should have 1000mm,

1000mm? That's a metre. Sounds like a lot of insulation to me. I was told 250mm was the max.
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    1000mm? That's a metre. Sounds like a lot of insulation to me. I was told 250mm was the max.

270mm is supposed nto be the "recommended" amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure