Free and Cheap Insulation Official Discussion

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had the survey done today for CWI, they are coming to do the installation early Jan.(4 bed detached house)

Completely free and no mention of different types of "beads/pellets".

I think those that are being told to pay £99 extra for "better" installation beads/pellets are being conned.

Get it done for FREE.
  • ellielovesem
    Options
    Thanks for the update 2010, interesting. Did they specify to you what type of bead/pellet they will be using? My main concern is the loose stuff you hear about pouring out of the wall if any kind of work is done, I was told that this is what the free stuff is.
    :eek: - Just because I love this emoticon!
    Options
    Thanks for the update 2010, interesting. Did they specify to you what type of bead/pellet they will be using? My main concern is the loose stuff you hear about pouring out of the wall if any kind of work is done, I was told that this is what the free stuff is.

No they didn`t say what type they will be using.
    I gave my name to EDF (who are paying for it), they passed me to SIG Energy management and it`s one of their subsidiaries that will be doing it, Millar Paterson.
    This company I have seen around our area doing CWI over the last few years but my neighbours all paid to have the work done.
    Supposedly done for half price, about £600 (loft & CWI) with a subsidy for the rest from whoever.

A few years ago people would gladly pay half to have it done but it`s getting harder to find anyone willing to do so now.
    With pensioners already getting it for nothing, the energy companies are now giving it to anyone who`ll have it because if they don`t meet government targets they get very hefty fines.
    Obviously if they can make a few quid by concocted a story about one type of bead is better than the other they will do.

Ultimately, everyone pays for it through higher energy bills because of some distant promise made by a minister, on a junket,at taxpayer`s expense, at a climate change conference.

Anyway here is a bit of info, scroll down the page until you come to CWI.

http://www.sigenergy.co.uk/faq.asp
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    About 10 weeks ago I applied for the free British gas offer being a Homecare customer. The surveyor came went into the loft to measure up, came down and said due to the confined working area they would blow the insulation in. When he did his calculations he said it was too big for the free offer and I would have to pay for an extra 8 sq metres, £48. As a point of principle I told him to go forth.

Next spoke to EDF about their offer, being a customer of their energy. They said their contractor would ring, which they did (SIG energy) who said the survey would be free but all of the work and materials would be paid for. Too exhausted to argue I cancelled.

Forward to present, Homebase had 8 sq metre rolls of insulation at £2 each. Bought 10 of them (£20) and have just finished laying them, they just covered my loft so 80 sq metres (too big for BG!!)
    He was right about the confined space though, it took me five 2hour sessions.
  • howardl
    howardl Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2011 at 10:34AM
    Options
    SophieMB wrote: »
    I have been told by friends who are builders that the reason for having a cavity in walls is to prevent damp being able to travel from external walls to internal walls. Therefore, the idea of cavity wall insulation is ridiculous as it breaches the cavity and allows damp to penetrate to the internal wall. There is so much conflicting information out there with the government pushing for everyone to have cavity wall insulation but builders saying it is more hassle than it is worth and although you can get it put in for free (if you are eligible) it costs a whole lot more to get rid of if you have problems! I would really appreciate some advice on this as I am not quite sure what is best to do.

Your builder friends are quite right in what they say, the only things in a cavity should be the brick ties holding the two walls together and they are designed to be there and fresh air allowing it to permeate into your ventilated loft taking any damp up. I live in wales and there has been a lot of bad publicity on tv ( x-ray) a consumer programme with tales of woe regarding penetrating damp coming thru walls after cavity insulation has been put in. In my opinion it is better to pay a few quid more on heating a dry home than sitting in a damp home with all the associated problems of mould, rot and costly removal of said insulation:)
    Options
    howardl wrote: »
    Your builder friends are quite right in what they say, the only things in a cavity should be the brick ties holding the two walls together and they are designed to be there and fresh air allowing it to permeate into your ventilated loft taking any damp up.

I thought that all new houses had to have the cavity insulated under current building regulations.
  • nealh
    nealh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    SophieMB wrote: »
    I have been told by friends who are builders that the reason for having a cavity in walls is to prevent damp being able to travel from external walls to internal walls. Therefore, the idea of cavity wall insulation is ridiculous as it breaches the cavity and allows damp to penetrate to the internal wall. There is so much conflicting information out there with the government pushing for everyone to have cavity wall insulation but builders saying it is more hassle than it is worth and although you can get it put in for free (if you are eligible) it costs a whole lot more to get rid of if you have problems! I would really appreciate some advice on this as I am not quite sure what is best to do.

I have tried to get an entire 26 flat block insulated by the 'free' EDF scheme. They say blocks are eligible but I have been waiting for a surveyor for 4 weeks! My Freeholder has refused to give permission citing the https://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html article. I have gone back to our Building surveyor to enquire (We bought our flat in May) about his views. Energy saving Trust refuse to comment on this! I am afraid that MSE is not good on detail and tend to ignore the downside of things. They did it with Solar PV too. I have seen no bad evidence myself.
  • casey1485
    Options
    Free loft and cavity wall insulation

Got any questions/feedback?

Let us know what you think of the guide and if you've managed to successfully get the freebies. Was it easy, did you have any problems, have you told friends & family about it?

Any good questions we'll add to the guide.

Thanks

MSE Archna
    [/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Can anyone tell me if there are any schemes for council tenants? My council Barking and Dagenham Council, do not seem to run any schemes at all, I have some insulation in the loft but not even the council can tell me if I have cavity walls or not. Every time I try to get any help I am always told that im not eligeable due to being a council tenant no matter what benefits I am on. This seems unfair as those in social housing are usually the ones with the least money. Can anyone give me any ideas as to where I can get help.

Thanks
  • arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need some advice, please.
    I have a rented top floor flat and the tenants were told by edf that they can get free loft insulation by edf.
    I am happy to do this if it is free. Today I was sent an email with an attached letter for me to sign.
    The letter says, among other things:
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The energy efficiency measures are subsidised by EDF Energy and could be free if your tenant is aged 70 or over, or receiving certain benefits. [/FONT]

So I emailed him back saying that I thought it was free.
    He mailed back saying:
    Apologies it just says that in the letter but it is free to everyone and if there is any extra charges for anything that needs to be added then when the surveyor comes round to look at property he will advise at that point if there is anything to pay.

So I asked him to change the letter accordingly before I can sign.

He sent a new letter, which just says:
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The energy efficiency measures are subsidised by EDF Energy and could be free if your tenant .To proceed...[/FONT]

Sentence cut off after "tenant".

I'm thinking of signing but changing the wording of the wording of the letter, or adding "only if free" or something to that effect.

WHat is going on here? Am I going to be scammed into paying a huge amount for loft insulation?
    It's actually only for one room, the kitchen, so not a huge area. The rest of the flat is already insulated.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    arunadasi wrote: »
    Need some advice, please.
    I have a rented top floor flat and the tenants were told by edf that they can get free loft insulation by edf.
    I am happy to do this if it is free. Today I was sent an email with an attached letter for me to sign.
    The letter says, among other things:

So I emailed him back saying that I thought it was free.
    He mailed back saying:

So I asked him to change the letter accordingly before I can sign.

He sent a new letter, which just says:

Sentence cut off after "tenant".

I'm thinking of signing but changing the wording of the wording of the letter, or adding "only if free" or something to that effect.

WHat is going on here? Am I going to be scammed into paying a huge amount for loft insulation?
    It's actually only for one room, the kitchen, so not a huge area. The rest of the flat is already insulated.

I don't know anything about any letters, as I didn't have to sign anything other than the survey form.

But I do know that I'm getting my insulation free (apart from £11 for ventilation thingummyjigs), and that I'm not over 70, or on benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure