Replies

• edited 23 November 2011 at 5:00PM
    richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 November 2011 at 5:00PM
    Omega_1 wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that if I were to book Long-Haul BA flights, with cash/card through an agency other than BA direct, I could then use my Avios points to upgrade cabins ?

Depends if the booking class is suitable for miles for upgrade, MFU, (might be now Avios for upgrade AFU) or not.

More info http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1279881-using-miles-travel-agent-booking.html
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • I used to regularly travel between two regional UK (old zone 1) airports using my airmiles.

Just before the change over I cashed in enough Tesco points to book a trip for four of us to go and visit family. Now that the Avios site appears to be working, I find that neither of the two airports are shown on the destination map.

Now l just have to wait till morning and speak to Avios; I do hope I haven't just wasted my Tesco vouchers or like bangormaine I too will be :(

Anyone had any experience with this?
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    boudiyax wrote: »
    I used to regularly travel between two regional UK (old zone 1) airports using my airmiles.

Which airline was this?
  • malkie76malkie76 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omega_1 wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that if I were to book Long-Haul BA flights, with cash/card through an agency other than BA direct, I could then use my Avios points to upgrade cabins ?

Where do we stand now with BA's 'partner' airlines - can we still use their own 'airmiles' to book BA flights with upgraded cabin ?

For the most part you can only book and upgrade tickets bought directly from BA. 99% of travel agent bookings (including BA holidays) cannot be upgraded with miles. There are a few special ones which you can get by calling BA, but I believe these are largely US based.

You can still book BA flights with miles from partner programmes. That hasn't changed.
    Legal team on standby
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malkie76 wrote: »
    You can still book BA flights with miles from partner programmes. That hasn't changed.

Unless, the airline is Iberia, which is also using avios.
  • SuzeySuzey Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Hi all

Booked six return flights on 14th November using Airmiles for me and hubby. (I didn't do it at the last minute on purpose, I'd somehow missed all the blurb about the change to Avios and luckily got in just before they closed web bookings!)

We have enough points left under the old regime for another return flight to one of our destinations and I had the bright idea of taking MIL with us on one of the aforementioned trips we've booked for ourselves.

I want to book these under the Airmiles T&Cs so I know I will need to ring them to do this. However, what I don't know is if I'm allowed to book flights for my MIL if those are the only ones I am booking (ie if I am not travelling with her under the same booking).

Does anyone know? I would ring, but last time I tried I was on hold for 25 minutes and gave up waiting.

TIA

Suze
    Mortgage-free Wannabe!
    Borrowed £260000 in 8/2009
    Amount outstanding at 1/10/2012 is £10000/3.8%
    :j
  • SaveTheEuroSaveTheEuro Forumite
    895 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I tried again today to combine BA and Air Miles points. After going through the process the final message was "service not available."

I also tried to book a non-BA flight. All and every dates were "unavailable."

I can see no apology or explanation on the Avois website, or on these noticeboards. Has anyone seen an Avois spokesperson anywhere explaining what has gone wrong and when the website will be functioning properly?
  • RJP33RJP33 Forumite
    339 Posts
    Long haul economy redemptions are a complete waste. The value is in business or first bookings, especially if you've go the 241 voucher.
  • edited 29 November 2011 at 10:59PM
    malkie76malkie76 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2011 at 10:59PM
    You are forgetting last minute redemptions when only full fare cash tickets are available. You can usually find mileage redemption in economy at short notice - instantly save yourself hundreds if not thousands.
    Legal team on standby
  • RJP33RJP33 Forumite
    339 Posts
    malkie76 wrote: »
    You are forgetting last minute redemptions when only full fare cash tickets are available. You can usually find mileage redemption in economy at short notice - instantly save yourself hundreds if not thousands.

That can be the case, but with fuel surcharges is unusual from what I've seen. The best value is still in premium seats, or upgrading from economy or WT plus to business.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals