MSE News: Airmiles becomes Avios: hurry to beat the cost hike

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
51 replies 13.9K views

Replies

• thelawnet wrote: »
    It's not downgraded.

It used to be 5000 airmiles. Now it is 40000 + £279.13 in 'taxes'.

If you want to book long-haul, book now, otherwise keep your miles and consider that for 5,000 miles plus £135 you can make five flights to Germany, Austria, France, some cities in Italy, Copenhagen, Switzerland or Prague.

1500 miles to Tunis is a better bet than 5000 to Dubai....

But it's not taxes, it's charges...which includes the cost of the fuel and airport...so the only thing you get in exchange for your Avios is the pilot!
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    thelawnet wrote: »
    Credit Cards:
    Tesco World Finest mastercard (closed to new accounts) = 1p per £2 spent, so £500 spend = £2.50 voucher = 1000 Avios. 2 avios per £1 spend
    Transferring Clubcard points to Avios at 1000 avios per £2.50 is a good use of Clubcard points.
    I think you're including the temporary bonus of 400 Avios for transfers in February 2012. For most collectors, the rate is 600 Avios per £2.50.

Unless you need to transfer now to book a flight, best wait until February for the bonus!
  • edited 17 November 2011 at 11:27AM
    AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2011 at 11:27AM
    But it's not taxes, it's charges...which includes the cost of the fuel and airport...so the only thing you get in exchange for your Avios is the pilot!

Which is what is called "taxes" when you book any flight... with any airline... isn't it?

TheLawNet - brilliant first post. Good of you to put extra info on, so people can make a good decision.

I personaly am saving my Tesco vouchers until Feb, also my current Avios balance and by end of Feb I will have enough to get at least 9 flights to zone 1!! Europe here I come!! (might get more, if I collect more Tesco points:D)

Scrapping the 500 miles surcharge is massive benefit for most of the country, let's face it. And £27 payment? Well, as it gets me as far as Morocco... I can live with that.
  • Roger1 wrote: »
    I think you're including the temporary bonus of 400 Avios for transfers in February 2012. For most collectors, the rate is 600 Avios per £2.50.

Unless you need to transfer now to book a flight, best wait until February for the bonus!

I was hoping to do this in February...but the way I read the small print,, it applies only to vouchers issued within this period... :(
  • AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping to do this in February...but the way I read the small print,, it applies only to vouchers issued within this period... :(

Really? That is not how I read it..
    I read it it applies to all vouchers "exchanged" during this period, nothing to do with vouchers issued this period.. ?
  • Any wrote: »
    Really? That is not how I read it..
    I read it it applies to all vouchers "exchanged" during this period, nothing to do with vouchers issued this period.. ?

I hope I did get it wrong.. am holding onto my latest vouchers to try anyway..... but on the 'old' Airmiles site.. a few days ago.. when I checked , showed 'terms & con's ' showing vouchers should be issued between start and end of FEB '12. (though the end date was actually around 3rd March???)....
  • AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope I did get it wrong.. am holding onto my latest vouchers to try anyway..... but on the 'old' Airmiles site.. a few days ago.. when I checked , showed 'terms & con's ' showing vouchers should be issued between start and end of FEB '12. (though the end date was actually around 3rd March???)....

I've read the T&C on Airmiles about a month back and I also got emails from Airmiles about it and all I remember it saying is "vouchers exchanged between 31st (I think) January and 3rd March".

And it's not just me - a lot of articles, including MSE is saying to wait with your existing vouchers... suggests that more read it the way I did.
  • We used 200,000 BA miles for two business class flights which I think is great value even paying the taxes.

Had 8000 miles left so thought I would use against car hire,

Cash price was 376

Cash plus avios miles (8000) was about £10 cheaper - dont think I will bother!

Beariing in mind I got a flight to Nice for 30,000 miles a while ago - didnt think it was only 35.00 odd
  • edited 17 November 2011 at 2:43PM
    geepee240geepee240 Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 17 November 2011 at 2:43PM
    I redeemed 100GBP of Tesco vouchers in August & received 2000 airmiles.

I was going to book return flight from Aberdeen to Prague which cost 2000 airmiles = 1500(London-Prague) + 500(Aberdeen-London). I didn't go ahead with booking and now glad I didn't.

With Avios I will now get 2 return flights between Aberdeen & Prague plus miles left over. Aberdeen-London(FREE) & London-Prague(900) so two trips will cost 1800(18000 Avios) + 54GBP. Brilliant!!

Also Tesco are increasing the amount of airmiles they are handing out. In August 2.50 got you 50 miles, currently you are getting 60 miles and the offer in February gives you 100. I am holding off until Feb and will get double the amount I previously got in August.
  • November 16th brought chaos and disappointment to many Airmiles collectors. I had waited to use some Airmiles until this day as you can for a short while use either the Avios system or the old Airmiles system. the reason for my wait was the promise of free regional connections. Sadly this widely advertised unique selling point is virtually impossible to get. The regional connections are not available in most circumstances. I brought up the point with them and they admitted that they are not able to offer this benefit in most cases. This for flights nearly one year in advance.
    I hope the Advertising Standards Authority fully investigates this deception, as without this benefit, long distance flights are much worse value for money than Airmiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals