IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

MSE News: Carcraft hit by OFT action over second hand car sales

in Motoring
33 replies 6K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The car supermarket has had its wrists slapped after a watchdog found major problems in the way it sold vehicles ..."

Replies

• rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    About time too. Bunch of shysters. My opinion is almost entirely based on what the internet says though. :D
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to view a couple of cars after seeing them online , they were thousands of pounds dearer in the showroom (I had noted the number plates so they were the correct vehicles), I asked the salesman and he replied that they will sell them at the lower price but they have a lot of customers who don't look online and are happy to pay the inflated price. Not illegal I'm sure but it does not give you much faith in their company.

2022 MFW 67 £2715.11/£13,000

MFI3 No.12 £0/ £40,000
  • That'll have them quaking in their slippery shoes then, they've been told off, so what?

Must be rolling on the floor laughing in their offices, what penalties?, what sentences?, what fines for the directors?...er none.
  • Naughty naughty boys - I hope their mothers send them to bed tonight with no dinner to think about what they've done! :naughty::naughty:
    My debts at 11th April 2011:
    Virgin Credit Card - [STRIKE]£1,900[/STRIKE] £1,500 (21.1% paid off)
    Nationwide Authorised OD - [STRIKE]£2,000 [/STRIKE] £1,500 (25% paid off)
    Student Loan - exact amount TBC but circa £5,000

I'm on the road! :T
  • AberdeenangarseAberdeenangarse Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they ought to change their name to Carcrafty;)
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    newgirly wrote: »
    I went to view a couple of cars after seeing them online , they were thousands of pounds dearer in the showroom (I had noted the number plates so they were the correct vehicles), I asked the salesman and he replied that they will sell them at the lower price but they have a lot of customers who don't look online and are happy to pay the inflated price. Not illegal I'm sure but it does not give you much faith in their company.
    A lot of dealers do this, actually if you look closely on autotrader photos you'll often see a car listed at e.g. £795, then in the picture will have a screen price of £995. Do you really mean thousands different though?
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi , yes ! we took details down of 4 cars and all cars were priced between £6500-£8000 and when we arrived none of them were under £10k.

2022 MFW 67 £2715.11/£13,000

MFI3 No.12 £0/ £40,000
  • edited 9 November 2011 at 5:41PM
    RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2011 at 5:41PM
    Before retirement I was workshop foreman in a large independent garage, which I believe gives me an insight into the second hand car market and its associated problems.

My boss operated a sales pitch for a few years, but we soon discovered that repairs, servicing, recoveries and MOT testing produced more profit and less problems for both ourselves and customers. We arrived at a solution whereby we would source vehicles for regular customers who used our garage for those services. We then carried out any MOT or servicing necessary for the vehicle chosen, in the knowledge that the customer would return for any further work during the ownership of that vehicle.

A previous owner had run the garage into the ground and created a bad reputation with shoddy, often dangerous work and almost criminal practices. It took us 2 years of hard work to even begin to win local trust, but now the garage is operated mostly by the owner's family and others. It is a successful business and is trusted by all those who use it.

My advice to anyone who is buying a car is to find such a garage. If you already have a car, do you trust the place which carries out the MOT and servicing work? If so, you are in luck. If they sell cars and have one you like, ask about it and stress that you will be bringing it to them for any work. If they don't sell cars, first ask if they will find and check a car for you. If they don't do that, ask if they will check any car you may find elsewhere and in both instances, remember to tell them that they will be your chosen workshop.

The secret of dealing with garages, is to be honest with the ones you know you can trust. Stick with the one you find and you will be treated as a valued customer. They will be honest with you. Remember that most of the trade is composed of honest people doing a fair job of work for a fair reward. There are cowboys in every trade, but despite the media shows which demonstrate the bad apples, they are a minority.

Having said all that, here is a story from the other side of the fence. Some years ago, we sold a car to a local man. 3 months later, he brought it back with the engine running very roughly and clouds of oil smoke issuing from the exhaust. After a look at the engine, I became suspicious, so I asked him to leave it and promised that we would look at it next day. It was our habit to record all relevant details from any car that we sold or worked on, so I checked the engine number and chassis numbers. Sure enough, the engine had obviously been changed. Next morning, I phoned the customer and said that we may be able to help him, but would need the log book. He brought it to us and was absolutely dumbfounded when I pointed out the difference and told him that I knew he had changed the engine, from a 2000cc to a faulty 1600cc motor, from another car. He proceeded to threaten us with legal proceedings, whereupon I pointed out that he could call the Police on our own phone and we would bring fraud charges against him. Off he went, red in the face and screaming insults.

I later learned from his neighbour, that he had put the engine into his brother's car, and decided to get another for his own vehicle by defrauding us. That is just one of many stories I can tell regarding the crafty tricks that a minority of customers have played, or attempted to play, over the years. There are 2 sides to every story, but I believe that there should be harsher penalties for fraudulent and/or dangerous work practices.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last competent mechanic in the world has departed and gone to Heaven.

There are 100,000 mechanically sound vehicles left in the world.

No one knows how to fix cars any more.

It's not a Lemon, sir, I do so guarantee.

There are 474 items of scrutiny,

and my hands are sore from ticking this litany.

How come my hands are so grease free?

Is it true I even lifted the bonnet just to see?

Where are the real man of grease?

I cry as I do confess.

The last competent mechanic in the world has departed
    .. and gone to Heaven.

(Jet woosh)

Some kind of folk song music would go well with it.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sister bought a car there a few years ago now. Supposedly had a full check and service etc. Wonder why only
    1 brake light out of the 3 worked?

As a bonus they had given her a logbook, MOT and tax disc for another vehicle as well as her own. They accidently
    fell into the shredder.

Saleman was quite sneaky with the figures. We gave a monthly price and said over 4 years max. Haggled the price down
    to keep within bugdet. But when we looked closely the sneaky begger had changed it to 5 years.

Naughty boy. When we said no 4 years he had to go and ask his manager.... Then they took her into the room to sign
    the paperwork where they tried adding all the extra protection on etc.

She was desperate and needed a car quickly with poor credit history. Never again though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides