Comments

• zubzub
    zubzub Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck the 1st steps are the hardest:T
  • vintage43
    vintage43 Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Back home in bed now with half a throat, but on the plus side, the money from ebay and the money jar I have just paid £200 off my credit card, and saved on taxi fare back from the hospital as i didn't realise that they can provide transport for free! So that will be another £40.00 off the debt when I can get to pay it into the bank, also got the bus there, only £4.20 rather than the train at £16.00.
    Quite pleased apart from not being able to speak, i am now my kids dream Mum - quiet! x
    vintage43:A
    NSD 42/365 2012
    - A new start for a newbie
    Next - £1033.62 :( Barclaycard - £5683 :( Mortgage - £125471 :( Overdraft - £903:eek::(Loan £3562 - :( Total Debts = £10179 Monthly shopping £100 spent so far £12.65
  • armygal
    Options
    Can I just say I can relate to the Next thing and I am thinking of closing my account, I wonder if you have thought of doing that!

I do not wish to say anything bad about Next as I've always had great service etc! However there is a reason they force you to open a line of credit in order to buy from their catalogue/website: it's because they make a lot of money out of their financial services. Money that we pay them in the form of interest payments when we either 1) forget to pay our bill off completely by the due date or 2) pay in instalments.

For those of us who like shopping too much, their model of not having to pay upfront is dangerous. Unlike most clothing retailers including big ones like ASOS, you can order that £200+ pile of clothes without any payment at the time. It's soooo easy and painless to buy a few things on that basis even if your bank account is empty! And their postal return window is very very short.

In all, I feel that their credit-based model makes them not the best shopping outlet for the money saver!
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    Options
    Hi and welcome.I to have been lured by the christmas party get the next book out and buy clothes bug! Account now closed and i am paying off the balance the size of a third world debt!x
  • vintage43
    Options
    Hi and welcome.I to have been lured by the christmas party get the next book out and buy clothes bug! Account now closed and i am paying off the balance the size of a third world debt!x
    armygal wrote: »
    Can I just say I can relate to the Next thing and I am thinking of closing my account, I wonder if you have thought of doing that!

I do not wish to say anything bad about Next as I've always had great service etc! However there is a reason they force you to open a line of credit in order to buy from their catalogue/website: it's because they make a lot of money out of their financial services. Money that we pay them in the form of interest payments when we either 1) forget to pay our bill off completely by the due date or 2) pay in instalments.

For those of us who like shopping too much, their model of not having to pay upfront is dangerous. Unlike most clothing retailers including big ones like ASOS, you can order that £200+ pile of clothes without any payment at the time. It's soooo easy and painless to buy a few things on that basis even if your bank account is empty! And their postal return window is very very short.

In all, I feel that their credit-based model makes them not the best shopping outlet for the money saver!

I really want to pay this off and close it down, like you say it's way too easy x
    NSD 42/365 2012
    Next - £1033.62 :( Barclaycard - £5683 :( Mortgage - £125471 :( Overdraft - £903:eek::(Loan £3562 - :( Total Debts = £10179 Monthly shopping £100 spent so far £12.65
  • vintage43
    Options
    Sold 5 things on ebay today, as soon as it's paid into paypal, off the credit card it will go. Have to be honest though, spent most of the day in bed, feel so sleepy still x
    NSD 42/365 2012
  • Cherryjack
    Cherryjack Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vintage43 wrote: »
    Sold 5 things on ebay today, as soon as it's paid into paypal, off the credit card it will go. Have to be honest though, spent most of the day in bed, feel so sleepy still x

Well Done!!! :-) ive decluttered the house and 3 boxes of stuff to get on there.. i must get a move on! x
  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,020 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Would you be able to get a new 0% credit card to move your Barclaycard, Next and Overdraft to? You would need a Super Balance Transfer card (such as MBNA) to be able to pay the overdraft off though. Although you will pay transfer fees at least you wouldn't be paying interest on the outstanding amounts.
    31/03/24:  Debt total £12,400/13,192.13
  • vintage43
    Options
    £58.06 transfered from paypal into the bank then off the CC today, £1.20 in the sealed jar from selling a wardrobe ( I know what a bargain they got!) and the i had to pay out £106 on BT as they had stopped my calls and internet as i'd fallen behind on the dd, that went on my CC so don't feels if I've got anywhere today X
    NSD 42/365 2012
  • vintage43
    Options
    Throat way too sore to concentrate on finances, not spending anything so that's good but i'll crack on when i'm better
    NSD 42/365 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure