Trick or Treat?

Please folks, if you are NOT home to trick or treaters, would you mind turning off the front hall light for a couple of hours so the kids know whether to call?

We went out and had a woman whip open her door and shout at our 8 year old, we were both with him, though standing back, and we were observing the usual rules of only knocking doors that were lit up AND had a living room light on, he only knocked once and it was just so uncalled for.

If you are not in, please leave the light off just for one night so the kids know not to bother you, or put up a no TorT'ers sign if you don't want the light off like some people have.

I doubt any of you are mean enough to yell at little kids, but it makes it easier for everyone if everyone knows the rules. While it wasn't an old tradition here, it's certainly a new one and the streets are now full of kids. All the parents sites and the letters they send home from school tell you these are the rules you should follow, it seems a shame if only the kids know them and risk upsetting people - and people upsetting the kids.

Peace out.
"There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I just lock the door and remove the batteries from the bell but it may be a waste of time as ive not seen any kids in the past couple of years.
  • I think people should decide whether or not they want to leave their lights on.
  • FOX_HOUND
    FOX_HOUND Posts: 2,480 Forumite
    My slave dungeon is now overflowing!!
    As surely as night follows day capitalism will come crumbling down. On a mission to secure a just and ethical society.
  • jonnyd281
    jonnyd281 Posts: 569
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My living room is at the front of my house and the porch light is on a Photocell, why should I have to put up a sign, maybe a better idea would be if the houses that are home to trick or treaters put out a pumpkin or sign saying they are home to trick or treaters.

When did schools start sending letters home giving out the rules of trick or treating? I don't remember getting these when I was at school.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Our hall light was on, the tub of sweets was at the ready ... and we didn't get a single Trick or Treater.

Still, more sweets for me :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I put a large note on my door asking for no TT'ers as my Grand Daughter is/was in bed. (This was after the first 12 or so that i gave to.) I say was because no one took a blind bit of notice of my note.
    It will be the Carol singers next week lol
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • Elle7
    Elle7 Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    I think the big problem with this is that the 'rules' change.

Where I am, notes were put under doors saying if a pumpkin was outside the house, trick or treaters would call. This seems much easier - some people may need their lights on.
  • Isnt the rule if you have decs out knock if not leave people alone. Why should people have to sit in the dark?
    I have kid who trick or trick AND I give out sweets too, so I'm not a kill joy.

Kat
    Smart price rocks!
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No pumpkin, no knocking, that seems to be the unwritten rule. Please don't tell me to turn my lights off, it's rude and patronising.
    Pants
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Why should I have to change whether or not I have my light on, that's ridiculous. If a child came here I wouldn't shout at them though but I would tell them to go away and they wouldn't get anything here for begging.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport