We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cardguard or credit card theft protection

Options
Hi,

I wondered what Martin had to say about cardguard schemes. CPP currently charges £20 per year to protect against you getting bank and credit cards stolen. Is it worth it? Are there any cheaper/better alternatives out there?

I see that there was a thread discussign this but I haven't seen any input from Martin himself on this subject.

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    Options
    If your card is stolen, you are only liable for the first £50

The question is, do you consider piece of mind worth £20 a year?
  • Trying_to_Budget
    Options
    Hi

I was just going to post this same question. My annual card protection with Sentinel is due (Also £20) and Im wondering if it is worth it or not. Are debit cards protected the same as credit cards, if you dont have this sort of protection?
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being cynical, does accepting this make you more likely to be accepted for a card if its a borderline decision?
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whenever I've had fraudulent transactions on an account then the bank have always refunded me. I don't see the point in paying extra for something I don't need.
    Happy chappy
  • lcollins76
    Options
    lcollins76 wrote:
    Hi,

I wondered what Martin had to say about cardguard schemes. CPP currently charges £20 per year to protect against you getting bank and credit cards stolen. Is it worth it? Are there any cheaper/better alternatives out there?

I see that there was a thread discussign this but I haven't seen any input from Martin himself on this subject.
    Thanks to those who replied to my post. I'm still swithering as to whether to re-new it or not...
  • mturrell
    mturrell Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    :rolleyes: We've been with Barclaycard Sentinel for many years, last time in 2004 paying £39 for three years of cover. Today we have received our renewal notice for "Sentinel Gold" (and new and higher level of cover) for £70 for three years. When I rang and asked if we could just continue with the level of cover we currently have, I was told I could for £50 for three years. There was no mention in many pages of literature that this was an option.

Now I'm wondering if there is a more cost effective form of cover. What other companies provide Cardguard Schemes?
  • If you find other more cost efficient schemes let me know please.

I am in the same position ... I think the the £70 quid option for Sentinel Gold is outrageous !!
  • ChrissyJ
    Options
    I today have received a renewal for my Sentinel which had become this 'Gold' package for £70 (3 years). When I phoned to say this was far too expensive the lady I spoke to tried very hard to convince me the benefits of taking up this cover, and only when I insisted that I was not prepared to pay this amount did she tell me that I could continue with my existing cover for £50 which is what I paid 3 years ago. Again, there was no indication on the renewal letter and enclosed documentation that the lower priced policy was still available. Very naughty of them!
  • Budgeteer_2
    Options
    ChrissyJ wrote: »
    Very naughty of them!

Very naughty indeed. I have just come off the phone to them and they told me I could not continue on the same level at all!

Trouble is, the only viable alternative is cpp which has mixed reviews. I have a little time, but suspect I will choose to press for the £50 for three years.

The Gold cover includes CIFAS (it actually says available, not specifically included) but as one of Martin's articles says you can get this for £11.75 if you have your documents stolen
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Beware CPP, they will try to use their ambiguous Ts&Cs against you if a claim crops up. Make sure you read the Terms and Conditions and you'll soon see they offer no additional protection over that of the banks/building societies. Not worth it at all in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure