MSE News: Inflation soars, but means higher state benefits

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
83 replies 7.5K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Stories:

"Inflation has matched its record high, meaning greater benefits but it also highlights tough conditions faced by many ..."

Replies

• I suppose this is good news of a sort for pensioners!
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that the change of method of calculation is robbing pensioners of £1 per week, which is typical of the Tories. The £5 increase will go some way to helping pay for the £7 a week the change to Housing Benefits is taking away from those pensioners who rent their homes on the private market.

This government must be the first in history to reduce the amount that state pensioners receive. Still, they can use what they save to pay the very generous pension package for MP's.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Really thick question but;

Will it affect other benefits? ie; HB, WTC etc x
    The feeling i got when i confirmed my place studying criminology at Exeter Uni was brilliant!!!!!

The pride my children told me they had in me was even better!!!!! # setting positive example to children is OUTSTANDING!!!! !:grouphug::grouphug::smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea
  • JezRJezR Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    This government must be the first in history to reduce the amount that state pensioners receive.

I guess you have forgotten about the government that decided not to pay the Christmas bonus to pensioners for 2 years.
  • workingworking Forumite
    213 posts
    Great.

Wages won't go up but benefits will. Hmmm.
  • What about stipends paid to research students? (rates set by the Government) - these are not increasing by a single penny this year.
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gingergee wrote: »
    Really thick question but;

Will it affect other benefits? ie; HB, WTC etc x
    Yes although housing benefit is based on local rents the personal allowance (the bit of your income that is ignored currently £67.50 for a single claimant) will increase and you will get a little bit more housing benefit. If you get the maximum housing benefit already then it won't change.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • tagq2tagq2 Forumite
    382 posts
    working wrote: »

If something matches inflation then it doesn't "go up" at all - I'm not sure what this article is talking about. Indeed, by being matched to CPI rather than RPI benefits are going down in real terms for most people. Add that to the 3/10 median rule for LHA and means-tested benefits have gone way down in the past year.

What happens to your wage in a social democratic state depends on your ability to collectively bargain for good wages. If you're unhappy with your income then push for yours to go up rather than others' to go down. Note that minimum wage for a 40 hour work week is about four times JSA, being an allowance you are paid to work on seeking a job.
  • I'm on JSA and am struggling to make ends meet, my savings are dwindling fast just paying bills and mortgage but get some relief by not having to pay Council tax. I don't get housing benefit so paying my mortgage is the priority at the moment so my £67.50 goes into the DD account for paying bills and my wife and I live off her state pension for the time being.

I have had two temporary jobs since being made redundant that really haven't helped us out because of the outlay I had to pay out just for fuel to get to the place I was working. Shortly the same place want me back for another 3 months taking me into the new year. It's not that I don't want to work but it's the cost to me and my family when I start work as you get no help from the benefits agency. BTW I don't have any debt as I paid all this off when I was made redundant except for a small mortgage of just over £100

Soon I won't have the money to pay for energy as my savings will have run out, what then? All I can forsee is threats from these greedy people if I don't pay up, worse still fitting a PAYG metre that extorts money from the poor:mad:

As for switching to get the best price I haven't a hope in hells chance being unemployed.

The government think they are doing you a favour but if the calculations were on the original RPI then there would be a better rise for pensioners and the rest, as usual the 'have nots' get kicked in the teeth via government policy.

I have two years before I take my small army pension and a further 5 years after that before I get my State pension. I have worked since I was 15 1/2 when I joined the army as a boy soldier so in all have worked non stop until last year for 42 years paid my taxes and now I get treated like a kid in the JC that really naffs me off.
  • working wrote: »
    Great.

I think you need to think how you would manage on £67.50 per week;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support