PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Forward Menu Planning – A bit of fun/inspiration!!

Options
Hi All, I've noticed quite a few threads where people are looking for help or inspiration for menu plans and “hats off to all you stalwart OS’rs” :A you always come good and have helped me out a lot.

As a singleton (with an OS upbringing) I do always try to make stuff from scratch, batch cook & freeze but only having a small (3 shelf) freezer, it always seems to have the same stuff in it (bread, HM soups, bolognaise, chilli & frozen veg. Now that I have a bit of freezer space I was looking through some mags/cookery books/OS threads for inspiration. I think we all fall into the habit of cooking the same thing – for me I’m committing myself each month to making something I had never made before and vary my tedious menu. I do always try for 2 -3 meat-free meals per week and wanted to expand on my vegetarian dishes as I am not very experimental in this area. I noticed that from the 9 – 15 October is National Curry Week, and I find this type of veggie cookery much more appealing :j.

This got me searching t’internet for other National Awareness Days which would inspire my seasonal/celebratory menu planning. Unfortunately this week (1 – 9 October) is Red Squirrel Week and although I am aware that squirrel meat (hopefully grey) is becoming more available, but I'll give it a miss. Living in the North of Scotland I cherish the occasional glimpses I get of the very, very shy Red :j.

But guess what the 9 – 16 Oct is not only National Curry week – but Bramley Apple Week, Chocolate Week and British Egg Week, so I challenged myself to getting all of them into my weekly plan (not all in the same dish – but I would congratulate anyone who can)

This is what I’m planning, most of the ingredients I have in the freezer/store cupboard, only need to buy fresh pears, bramleys & veg.

Beef & Bramley Meatballs
Lentil & Seasonal Veg Curry
Hot & Sour Noodles with Prawns & Bramleys
Frittata followed by Poached pears & chocolate sauce
Chicken, Broccoli & Pea Curry
Baked Eggs with Ham & Parmesan
Spicy Squash Soup & crusty bread followed by Chocolate Sponge & Custard

I try to keep things seasonal when I can and I’m sure it’s easy to celebrate all of these foods, like me, in one meal - but in one dish – anyone up for the challenge? :D

I won’t be making too much of the above I need to keep some freezer space as 17 – 23 October is National Baking Week, then we can all join the “What have you baked today” thread :T

Comments

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    That's a fantastic plan:T
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • frugalfrancesca
    Options
    Hi All, I've noticed quite a few threads where people are looking for help or inspiration for menu plans and “hats off to all you stalwart OS’rs” :A you always come good and have helped me out a lot.

As a singleton (with an OS upbringing) I do always try to make stuff from scratch, batch cook & freeze but only having a small (3 shelf) freezer, it always seems to have the same stuff in it (bread, HM soups, bolognaise, chilli & frozen veg. Now that I have a bit of freezer space I was looking through some mags/cookery books/OS threads for inspiration. I think we all fall into the habit of cooking the same thing – for me I’m committing myself each month to making something I had never made before and vary my tedious menu. I do always try for 2 -3 meat-free meals per week and wanted to expand on my vegetarian dishes as I am not very experimental in this area. I noticed that from the 9 – 15 October is National Curry Week, and I find this type of veggie cookery much more appealing :j.

This got me searching t’internet for other National Awareness Days which would inspire my seasonal/celebratory menu planning. Unfortunately this week (1 – 9 October) is Red Squirrel Week and although I am aware that squirrel meat (hopefully grey) is becoming more available, but I'll give it a miss. Living in the North of Scotland I cherish the occasional glimpses I get of the very, very shy Red :j.

But guess what the 9 – 16 Oct is not only National Curry week – but Bramley Apple Week, Chocolate Week and British Egg Week, so I challenged myself to getting all of them into my weekly plan (not all in the same dish – but I would congratulate anyone who can)

This is what I’m planning, most of the ingredients I have in the freezer/store cupboard, only need to buy fresh pears, bramleys & veg.

Beef & Bramley Meatballs

I try to keep things seasonal when I can and I’m sure it’s easy to celebrate all of these foods, like me, in one meal - but in one dish – anyone up for the challenge? :D

I won’t be making too much of the above I need to keep some freezer space as 17 – 23 October is National Baking Week, then we can all join the “What have you baked today” thread :T

Oooh hot and sour noodles sounds apsolutely delicious, can i have the recipe?xx
    Wife to a hardworking husband and mum to a adorable son and grumpy cat :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh hot and sour noodles sounds apsolutely delicious, can i have the recipe?xx

I haven't tried this recipe out yet but happy to share the recipe I found,

250g Egg Noodles
    1 tblsp veg oil
    2 Bramley apples, cored & sliced
    1 red chilli, chopped
    approx 300g chinese style stir fry veg
    150g cooked king prawns
    1 tblsp soy sauce
    1 tblsp seseme oil

Soak noodles per pkt instructions
    Heat oil in frying pan/wok, add bramleys & stir fry for about 3mins or until browned, remove to plate.
    add chilli, mixed veg & prawns to pan, fry for 2mins, return apples & noodles, sir well.
    Then add Soy Sauce & Seseme Oil, toss and serve.

It looked nice and easy to me - let me know how you get on.
  • Mrs_De_Bris
    Options

Beef & Bramley Meatballs

That's a great menu..how do you do the baked eggs and ham? It's got my mouth watering :p
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    That's a great menu..how do you do the baked eggs and ham? It's got my mouth watering :p

Its a recipe I found on the British Egg Week website, sorry as I'm fairly new to the forum I haven't yet worked out how to do a link, it does however sound lovely - looking forward to it :D
  • frugalfrancesca
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe out yet but happy to share the recipe I found,

250g Egg Noodles
    1 tblsp veg oil
    2 Bramley apples, cored & sliced
    1 red chilli, chopped
    approx 300g chinese style stir fry veg
    150g cooked king prawns
    1 tblsp soy sauce
    1 tblsp seseme oil

Soak noodles per pkt instructions
    Heat oil in frying pan/wok, add bramleys & stir fry for about 3mins or until browned, remove to plate.
    add chilli, mixed veg & prawns to pan, fry for 2mins, return apples & noodles, sir well.
    Then add Soy Sauce & Seseme Oil, toss and serve.

It looked nice and easy to me - let me know how you get on.

I definately will next week! will have to use little prawns though, as hubby doesnt like king prawns (grrrr!) lol xx
    :D
    Wife to a hardworking husband and mum to a adorable son and grumpy cat :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    I definately will next week! will have to use little prawns though, as hubby doesnt like king prawns (grrrr!) lol xx
    :D

Same as me I hate the large prawns, think its in my mind set - they always seem soooooooo chewy, no matter how I cook them, whereas the smaller are much more palatable and tasty.

Think its a childhood thing with me, along with an easy gag reflex :rotfl:
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Its a recipe I found on the British Egg Week website, sorry as I'm fairly new to the forum I haven't yet worked out how to do a link, it does however sound lovely - looking forward to it :D

I've not done a link before either but here goes:

Baked Eggs, Ham & Parmesan
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great idea especially as whatever week it is with fresh produce usually means it's in season and therefore cheap!

*off to find a squirrel*
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • Mrs_De_Bris
    Options
    Thanks Need2bthrifty and notjustlaura

It will be on my menu next week :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income