Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Trying to sell my car but with no luck!!

edited 30 September 2011 at 12:48PM in Motoring
29 replies 2.7K views
-chris--chris- Forumite
373 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 September 2011 at 12:48PM in Motoring
Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could give any advice about selling a secondhand car. I have a renault clio 1.2 dynamique 2004, 5 door, 41k and have priced it at £2795.

I've had people phone about it but once they ask for my registration number they never call back to make a viewing. That's probably down to the ridiculous insurance prices. The people that call are mainly mums/dads buying for their kids.

I've currently avertised it in local papers, supermarkets, gumtree and ad trader. (edit) I'm 21 and this is the first car i've owned so I'm pretty new to this) Should I lower the price more??

Thanks

Replies

• Hi, autotrader is the place I've always advertised cars when I've sold them. They used to do internet advertising only packages at a fairly good price. I don't know what prices your model of car is currently fetching, but if after advertising it for a couple of weeks on autotrader you've not had any interest, it's likely that you'll have to reduce the price to sell it. best of luck
    Skip dipper and proud....
  • Heres my pennies worth.

1.2 attracts young drivers, but young drivers do not want clio's. Its a basic family car but no power. So a family are not going to get anywhere quickly.

Also the cost for a first timer driver. Your car plus over £2000 for a 17 year old is a good old whack in the bank balance. First time drivers look for cars worth around a grand at the most these days to get a bit of no claims bonus, and the price of running a car is also a factor. Petrol and mots etc its a pain in the bum, we just do not have the cash.

If you were selling a ford fiesta or focus you would have no problems pushing it, but clio's isnt very 'sexy' these days. Its a fact im sorry.

Im 42 and it would do for me to get me around to the golf club and to work but for those long hauls to the airport its just not the car I would want.

Goos luck it will go, stick it on ebay at a start of £1500 and see what you get.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • edited 30 September 2011 at 1:16PM
    easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2011 at 1:16PM
    yep we recently sold a 2004 peugeot on autotrader.

I paid £44 to put the ad online and in the magazine for 2 weeks - includes putting in our own photos.

We advertised it at £2750 to start with, but didn't get a single response for the first 5 days online & first week in the mag.

So, then I dropped the price to £2450 (below the magic £2500 threshold) and got viewers the same day, who bought it.

So, take what you will from that experience ...

Oh ETA if it's a dynamique, make sure in the ad that you highlight the leccy windows or whatever it has over a basic model - assuming all the extra gizmos work. Oh and also point out that the hatchback is big enough for a buggy/folded pram - this car should appeal to mums of littlies looking for a motorized shopping trolley
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • -chris--chris- Forumite
    373 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cheers!!

Looked at auto-trader, was a bit put off by the price to advertise it but may have to try it. A lot of people seem to mention ebay so will give that a go aswell and hope for the best. Is it expensive on ebay aswell??? I'll drop it by a 100 aswell and see where I go from there.....
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to ebay it you may as well sell it on webuyanycar.com which would likely be less hassle.

I had a similar thing, tried to sell my car, couldn't sell it and ended up flogging it to webuyanycar.com for £100 less than what I wanted for it (About £350 below asking price) so I was happy.

Hmm, the webuyanycar.com price offered for ours seemed very low, we did better thru autotrader. Mind you, it does cut out the hassle of viewers etc. I didn't bother with ebay, my personal opinion is that ebay attracts loads of tyre-kickers/timewasters - quite a few cars on there seem to get re-advertised due to timewasters.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Way too expensive in my book. I would be expecting that to go for £1k less than you value it at. You might get £2k if you are lucky.
  • -chris--chris- Forumite
    373 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hintza wrote: »
    Way too expensive in my book. I would be expecting that to go for £1k less than you value it at. You might get £2k if you are lucky.

Really??? :eek: Well I've looked at cars similar to mine and mine seems to cheaper or rougly the same as what others are asking.
  • Your car trades at about £1,700, retail at around £2,700 but...and it's a big but - look at autotrader and benchmark your car and you'll see that a 3 door is up for a lot less and (slightly different model) here is one for just over £2k. These are the kind of comparisons a potential buyer will make within about 30seconds...HTH
  • dont use any sites like webuyany car etc. I had a W reg Megane, not a mark on it and they offered £70, I could have got £100 scrap but sold it for £700
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think under £2500 will make a difference, deffo
This discussion has been closed.