PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie stew... anyone...

Options

Comments

• lightisfading
    Options
    We just use stock (cubes, or marigolds ), and a bit of gravy powder at the end to thicken it up. Usually add some paprika too.
  • catkinq
    catkinq Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    >...Adding stock cubes is a waste of stock cube and money (IMHO) because the veg, water and season *is* creating a core stock.

I agree and agree about the salt but have found that I find soup made withot stock pawder/cubes a bit bland so I do tend to use stock and think that Marigold bouillon is well worth teh price as it does taste very good. Also being a powder you can use exactly as much as you like.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    catkinq wrote: »
    >...Adding stock cubes is a waste of stock cube and money (IMHO) because the veg, water and season *is* creating a core stock.

I agree and agree about the salt but have found that I find soup made withot stock pawder/cubes a bit bland so I do tend to use stock and think that Marigold bouillon is well worth teh price as it does taste very good. Also being a powder you can use exactly as much as you like.
    Do you season your soup if not adding stock powder/cubes?

You can "strengthen" (concentrate) the flavour of home made stocks/soups by boiling them rapidly for a few minutes towards the end of cooking and still have no need for for a processed flavouring :) Much of the time, it's the level of seasoning (or lack of) that will result in a bland tasting stock. Traditional, old fashioned seasonings such as adding bay leaves and peppercorns can make a huge difference to the end result.

I do agree, Marigold bouillon is a great standby for the storecupboard, but vegetable stock made from scratch with the right level of seasoning should reduce and even elimate the necessity of store bought alternatives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • catkinq
    catkinq Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie wrote: »
    Do you season your soup if not adding stock powder/cubes?

I do add lots of herbs, seasoning and garlic but haven't tried bay or peppercorns or boiling so will try these. howvr I do have a very "salt" tooth so will probably still need to add extra to my portion!
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    iIuse sainsburys veggie gravy granules in with a load of veg , soup mix (small pulses) and make veggie dumplings. Gets the thumbs up from my fussy veggie DS.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I always add a sloosh of soy sauce to my soups, and I am sure it would work well in a veggie stew too. It gives it more colour, as well as flavour.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• thrifty_thelma_2
    Options
    Worcester Sauce and the old fashioned Mushroom Ketchup both work well if you have them lurking in the back of your cupboard
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Hi x

I am new to all this cooking malarky but am trying to cook for my LO who is now on solids.

I am also vegetarian so find it too yukky to cook meat for her but I have bought a baby chicken stock ready made - and I have some winter veggies in the fridge - Just wondering.

Can I bung the veggies in the oven covered with chicken stock to make a stew?

Any advice welcome x

Thanks x Alison and Daisy (my official food taster)
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Why bother with bought stock; veggies with water and flavourings makes a vegetable stew.
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Hello x Thanks for the reply. I am trying to give her some meat in her diet and thought this would be a good way of doing it as most of her meals are veggie at the moment.

Can I put the uncooked veggies in the oven just with the stock?
    Do I need to cover it? How long roughly should I cook it for?

Thanks

Alison x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills