Water Meter £50 a month, a dam Joke

Options
Been on a water meter a numbe of year now, its gone from £30 a month to just over £50 a month.

Its a dam joke. I can not go onto to water rates, as the meter has been in the house more than a year.

The water bill is just spiralling out of contral.

I have checked for leaks, and even reduced the amount we use.

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Is your meter on the street?
    Could there be an underground leak you are unaware of?

£50 a month is more than most people would pay with a bill based on their ratable value.

What size is the property and how many people?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • kismetkaz
    Options
    Hi there. We have moved into a bungalow with a water meter and we thought we would have high bills, but our payments are £20 per month and we were paying £32 per month for water rates at our old tiny cottage. We do not have a bath so only have showers, we do not flush the toilet after a wee only, (unless we have guests)!, we put all water from the tumble dryer condenser into the water butt, we limit use of the dishwasher and washing machine. Also, the paperwork when we bought the bungalow said that when the property was sold it could be transferred back to rates? but it was dated 1999 so things may have changed since then.
  • Rikki
    Options
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    God thats a lot of water usage, hope you get that sorted.

I dread having one its in my new property which I move in, in 2 weeks (1930's semi) I really dont want one. but cant change as it was installed a couple of years back, fine for a couple, family is different. I dont mine cutting back, I do try and save, not that we get any water shortages where I live last one being 1976
  • Rikki
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    God thats a lot of water usage, hope you get that sorted.

I dread having one its in my new property which I move in, in 2 weeks (1930's semi) I really dont want one. but cant change as it was installed a couple of years back, fine for a couple, family is different. I dont mine cutting back, I do try and save, not that we get any water shortages where I live last one being 1976

Have you asked the previous owners about the water bill charges?

NPFM 21
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thats a huge bill. Ours is approx half that for a family of 4
    in the Thames water area. The washing machine, dishwasher and bath are used daily (kids !). Sounds like a leak somewhere to me.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, yes I did that's how I knew they had a meter, never thought to ask, its only when they submitted bills to my solictor for house purchase that I knew they had one.
    Rikki wrote:
    Have you asked the previous owners about the water bill charges?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    cheggers wrote:
    Been on a water meter a numbe of year now, its gone from £30 a month to just over £50 a month.

Its a dam joke. I can not go onto to water rates, as the meter has been in the house more than a year.

The water bill is just spiralling out of contral.

I have checked for leaks, and even reduced the amount we use.

My daughter lives in Suffolk and her metered water bills are about £600 a year.

They're a familyof 2 adults and 2 children.

They thought they had a leak or meter going wrong but got it checked and everything is in order.
    Apparently Anglian water who they use are one of the most expensive.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ours is £24 pm. 2 of us new house, no garden to water

we are fairly careful ie only ever use showers. Dishwasher and washing machine only when pretty full

£50 for a family with bathing etc seems to be on a par
  • winnie81
    winnie81 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my! We are on a water meter and pay £14 a mth in gloucestershire. There is OH, me DD 5, DS 4 & DD 6mths. I sdo approx 2 dishwasher loads a day at least 3 loads of washing a day and theres at least 1 bath ( kids have excema) and 2 showers a day. In summer the kids have paddling pools and we have a 70ft garden to water & plants.

We have always been in credit and to be honest we do use plenty of water since youngest was born. I honestly would die if they put our water DD up to £50 a mth!

I dont know if it matters but i live in a 3 bed terrace?
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure