Solar energy - Feed-in Tariff payment delays - your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Uitlander
    Uitlander Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 April 2014 at 9:48AM
    Options
    Southern Electric used to pay within the 28 days. But recently told me the Government have extended that time to 65 days. So it seems they are making full use of the extra time for the money in their account... All that interest and everything !.

It does indeed. After 63 days I chased up what had happened to the payment for the period Nov 13-Jan 14. The first reaction was to tell me that payment had been issued (by some curious coincidence) that same day. So I asked if I was going to have to keep emailing them to chase payment every time. This is what they said in reply:

On discussing this matter further with our FiTs bureau, they have explained that when FiT payments were in their infancy we made a commitment to our customers that payments would be made within 28 working days of meter readings being provided. This was a commitment made by SSE however; Ofgem allow us a period of 65 working days from the end of each quarterly period to make payment.
    As micro generation has increased, the commitment to make payments within 28 days became unrealistic and we took the decision to revert to the 65 days stipulated by Ofgem.

Our terms and conditions state that FiT payments will be made within 65 working days from the end of each quarterly period. This is to allow us to deal with any queries which may arise, for example incorrect readings or customer enquiries. However, in the vast majority of cases SSE payments are made far sooner than this.

So their commitment to paying FITs within 28 days is not something they see any need to stand by as Ofgem has given them the option of a 65 day payment period. Very shoddy behaviour.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Uitlander wrote: »

Our terms and conditions state that FiT payments will be made within 65 working days from the end of each quarterly period. This is to allow us to deal with any queries which may arise, for example incorrect readings or customer enquiries. However, in the vast majority of cases SSE payments are made far sooner than this.

Is it perhaps worth digging out their original correspondence in which they would have quoted the shorter period from previous t&cs and telling them that you regard that as a contractual undertaking ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As micro generation has increased, the commitment to make payments within 28 days became unrealistic and we took the decision to revert to the 65 days stipulated by Ofgem. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Hiya Uitlander, just for your information EDF has the same policy, 90 days from the end of the month in which the reading is requested. Back in 2011 and 2012 they were paying out after about 30 to 50 days.

But from late 2012 they speeded this up massively, and now pay within a few days of the meter reading being submitted. My last reading was sent in on Saturday 29th March, and the monies reached my account today.

So you may want to question them as to why during the same period of increased micro-generation they appear to have gone in the extreme opposite direction to one of their competitors.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Uitlander
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Is it perhaps worth digging out their original correspondence in which they would have quoted the shorter period from previous t&cs and telling them that you regard that as a contractual undertaking ?

I have already told them that the 28 day period forms part of our contract and quoted their own words back at them. They are ignoring this and keep quoting the 65 working days figure stipulated by Ofgem as the period within which they are obliged to make payment. I am clearly talking to a brick wall at SSE.
  • Uitlander
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Uitlander, just for your information EDF has the same policy, 90 days from the end of the month in which the reading is requested. Back in 2011 and 2012 they were paying out after about 30 to 50 days.

But from late 2012 they speeded this up massively, and now pay within a few days of the meter reading being submitted. My last reading was sent in on Saturday 29th March, and the monies reached my account today.

So you may want to question them as to why during the same period of increased micro-generation they appear to have gone in the extreme opposite direction to one of their competitors.

Mart.

Thanks Mart. I have done so, but I am not expecting to get much in the way of positive response. SSE seem to have decided to unilaterally impose an extended payment period of 65 working days on its FIT customers, although they committed to paying us within 28 days.

They seem to be relying on the Ofgem maximum payment period of 65 days (13 weeks) to stall FIT payments. Previous correspondence with them suggested that the increasing delays in payment were down to 'upgrading their systems' and we'd soon be back to normal or possibly even speedier payments. Now they are saying that this is what I should expect for the future. I remain very unimpressed with SSE.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Uitlander, just for your information EDF has the same policy, 90 days from the end of the month in which the reading is requested.

Indeed - reading sent to EDF 30 March (Sunday), BACS payment slip received 31 March. Less than 24 hours - excellent. And, no quibble about the reading despite it being much higher than the same time last year.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I remain very unimpressed with SSE.

One option could be to move FiT supplier? I think most of the big six will only accept FiT applications (or transfers) if:
    1) they supply your electricity, OR
    2) you are supplied by one of the non-big 6.

If SSE currently supply your electricity, then you wouldn't be able to switch FiT provider to a 'big 6' unless you also took your supply from the new FiT provider.

As Mart said, it took 3 working days to between submitting my last reading to EDF (Sunday) to it being paid into my account (Wednesday).

I wonder if anyone on the forum has moved FiT supplier?
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Uitlander
    Options
    One option could be to move FiT supplier?

<snip>

I wonder if anyone on the forum has moved FiT supplier?

I have wondered about this, and made some enquiries. The thing that is stopping me is that no-one could give me a clear answer about what would happen to the FiT rate if I changed, so I have been biding my time until that aspect becomes clearer. My panels were installed a few years ago and qualified for a much higher rate than those currently available so I don't want to lose that rate.

I'd be interested to hear about the experiences of anyone who has changed FiT supplier.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have already told them that the 28 day period forms part of our contract and quoted their own words back at them. They are ignoring this and keep quoting the 65 working days figure stipulated by Ofgem as the period within which they are obliged to make payment. I am clearly talking to a brick wall at SSE.

Welcome to my world. I would try swapping but unfortunately due to a c*ck up with contracts i'm stuck with them for the full length of the contracts. Might add, the !!!! up goes in my favour:D
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update on our latest Npower reading.

Reading submitted last Thursday night via online portal
    Money in the bank this morning.

Was expecting a lot longer...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing