Solar energy - Feed-in Tariff payment delays - your experiences?

Comments

• papworth
    papworth Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm with EDF. System was installed in late July and OFGEM accepted us sometime in October. First reading was required in December so I read the Feed In Meter on 1st December.
    Today I called EDF as we have had no payment and was told not only did they have 90 day to pay us but that the 90 days ran from the end of the meter reading month ie they don't have to cough up until the end of March!! They said they were paying out in just 4-5 weeks and my payment should be within the next 7 days.
    What I want to know is would it be better for me to take the reading towards the end of the meter reading month rather than as soon as they ask for it at the beginning so that I minimise the delay on payment??
  • papworth wrote: »
    I'm with EDF. System was installed in late July and OFGEM accepted us sometime in October. First reading was required in December so I read the Feed In Meter on 1st December.
    Today I called EDF as we have had no payment and was told not only did they have 90 day to pay us but that the 90 days ran from the end of the meter reading month ie they don't have to cough up until the end of March!! They said they were paying out in just 4-5 weeks and my payment should be within the next 7 days.
    What I want to know is would it be better for me to take the reading towards the end of the meter reading month rather than as soon as they ask for it at the beginning so that I minimise the delay on payment??

I'm with EDF. I usually wait until the middle of the month. One of their T&C says If your reading does not reach us in time, payment will be delayed until the next scheduled reading. I don't want to give them any chance of saying the reading was late - hence I get the reading off to them 2 weeks before the end of the month so they've no excuse.

Reading this thread it appears that EDF are by far the slowest payers. My supplier is Scottish Power (left EDF as supplier soon after applying for registration) but EDF told me, at the time, that there was no way I could change FITs payment to S.P. as the mechanism for changing had not been worked out.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • How do you get the readings to EDF? Can you email them?

I just got my forms this morning (at last) via email. Do I have to print the meter reading form every time and post it in?

Thanks
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    TailSpin wrote: »
    How do you get the readings to EDF? Can you email them?

I just got my forms this morning (at last) via email. Do I have to print the meter reading form every time and post it in?

Thanks

Yes - but, as this is EDF, it must be in French ;)
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Zut alors! I'm going to struggle then ..;)
  • TailSpin wrote: »
    How do you get the readings to EDF? Can you email them?

Thanks
    EDF send me a reminder email on the first of the month with a 'click here' link to their website.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • I sent my December reading to EDF on 14th December. Just got an email from them (8th Feb) to say the reading was higher than expected. They asked me to complete a form telling them the number and wattage of the panels and also the current reading. This I have done and also attached a photograph of the generation meter showing the current reading.

The reply to my email to them was an 'out of office notification'. I then telephoned them, expecting a long delay, but got an operator within a few seconds!!

Lets hope the payment is not delayed any further.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
  • I had a phonecall in January to say that mine was higher than expected, so thay asked me to do a verbal there and then. I also got an email this week asking for details of the system.
    If all they're doing is checking for fraudulent claims, fine, as long as they aren't accusing the honest ones.

Bet they don't check for lower than expected readings.
  • I cannot believe EDF actually questioned you on your energy production.

I have had a quick look at the agreement I signed with SP and I found this interesting point:

If they do not pay me by the end of the month of my reading, I would be entitled to interest 1% over that of RBS's rates. (unless my reading was under review).

It could be that this is a compulsory part of all our agreements regardless of which company we are with. Have a look at the fine print see if you can find this clause in your agreements.

EDF are doing a review on you because they do not want to pay the interest for their non payment.

I would look into the complaints procedures and go to the highest level and let them handle this sharp practice.

EDF should well and truly be the last people to register with. It would serve them right if they lost their Green Credential.

What some people do not understand is that we, the module owners, have payed out large sums of money to have this installed, we have entered into agreements and should be treated with a high degree of respect.

We are putting good clean energy into their grid and being paid well under the going rate that they are charging others for this energy. It would serve them all a good lesson if we just disconnected and used our self produced energy for ourselves. I have seriously thought of doing this and will, at some point, pull out of this system.
  • We received our EDF FiT contract last Sunday (5th Feb) after our forms were sent 28th October. Hopefully they are working through the November applications now.

My written complaint to EDF was successful and resulted in a suitable compensation for the issues I'd raised. One aspect of the complaint related to FiTs and their insufficient capacity to get contracts processed in time, and we were given some token compensation for this delay. The rest of the complaint regarded our calamatous switch from EON to EDF and their DD review policy. It was this element of the complaint that resulted in the vast majority of the complaint settlement.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback