Can you sit a GCSE english exam without taking a course? URGENT

I am planning to self-study english maths and science and re-sit the exam, but a former teaching assistant at my school said you can't just sit the exam you have to do a course. I was told by some other people you can just re-sit an exam, which is true?

I realy want these GCSE's but can't afford to take them as I need to work this year full-time while studying, and ICS last date of purchasing a course for this year is november 15th, I wont have the money by then.

The course work elemant is apparently gone now, so could I just sit an exam???

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2011 at 7:22PM
    I don't know but I think its depends on whether you can find a college/school who is willing to let you take the exam with them. If you can find somewhere which will let you sit the exam as an external candidate then you won't need to take the course.

You say re-sit - have you taken these GCSEs before and if so how long ago?

Can you not pay for the course in installments?
  • MrsManda wrote: »
    I don't know but I think its depends on whether you can find a college/school who is willing to let you take the exam with them. If you can find somewhere which will let you sit the exam as an external candidate then you won't need to take the course.

You say re-sit - have you taken these GCSEs before and if so how long ago?

Can you not pay for the course in installments?

Yes but I need to work full-time not do a course. The question was can I do a GCSE english exam without coursework and get a C. I got a D last time and was only like 3 marks of a C. But I didn't revise (everyone makes mistakes at school, and mum wasi ll). I can get a huge list from AQA website so I will just write to all of them I suppose one out of 50 would write back.

So to answer my question can I take a GCSE english exam and get a C without going through all the speaking and listening and other stuff?
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2011 at 7:44PM
    I'm sure some parents who are home schooling can give you more information. DD sat her GCSEs in summer and her "coursework" consisted of X hours controlled assessments.

Have you considered studying in college part-time while working full time. It's hard going but many people do it.

http://home-ed.info/gcse.htm
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Poppy9 wrote: »
    I'm sure some parents who are home schooling can give you more information. DD sat her GCSEs in summer and her "coursework" consisted of X hours controlled assessments.

Have you considered studying in college part-time while working full time. It's hard going but many people do it.

http://home-ed.info/gcse.htm

Missed the enrolment for that, and my shifts are so variable. I think I might have to just pay and do it through ICS. But I was told by many people coursework had been demolished
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    OP you have already had lots of advice on this?
  • emsywoo123 wrote: »
    OP you have already had lots of advice on this?

Yes but then someone has put doubt in my mind, saying you need to do a course before your allowed to take an exam
  • Well there is one person saying you need to do all the speaking and listening to beable to take an exam, one saying it don't matter. One saying there is coursework. One saying there isn't.

Is there any wonder im confused
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why do you want to resit? You may possibly get maths and English funded for you. (Although you may have to pay and claim it back)

In our area (I think), Early Years workers have their course fees for maths and English GCSE paid for them.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Yes but then someone has put doubt in my mind, saying you need to do a course before your allowed to take an exam

I meant with regards to whether you need to do the GCSEs or not!
  • I do need/want to do the gcse emsy. I havn't got the TIME whitewing.

My question is can you do an english exam that doesn't require coursework?

this whole thing is getting me down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport