October 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 61

New Post Advanced Search

October 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 25 September 2011 at 7:11PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 76.1K views

Replies

• rej-crej-c Forumite
    115 posts
    Well, my 'couple of bits' turned into a near-£15 spend across two shops today, which is much more than I intended. Spotting that Mr T had Linda M veggie sausages at £1 a pack didn't help, but when I see them for that price I have to stock up.

At least Him Indoors is now stocked up with his favourite mayo and peanut butter for the rest of the month - and if he runs out, I'm going to grit my teeth for once and say 'tough'. This month's GC target figure was his idea, after all... :rotfl:

We're off to the seaside tomorrow for our tiny anniversary break, with pretty much everything coming out of a separate budget - yes, I raided the coin jars and piggies :o - although we're taking snacks with us, so aside from a couple of main meals, there shouldn't be much more to spend.

So it'll be the weekend before I check in again - I'm sure you'll give me plenty to read when I'm back! And then it'll have to be a couple of weeks of solid NSDs to make it to the end of the month without breaking the budget - yes, of course I can do that... ;)
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • njk1012njk1012 Forumite
    257 posts
    Another £57.11 spent today the majority being a Tesco delivery (had a £7.50 off £50 voucher to use). stocked up on loo rolls, cheese, herbs, cereal, flour, mint sauce, pasta, veg and squash so they should be covered for the month as well as the usual fresh stuff. Also went to the pet shop for the plec food, must manage this better and order online before this pot runs out next month.

Were still happily using the frozen stuff from factory foods for the main part of our main meals and barring the odd chicken i don't think we will need to restock until the middle of next month at the earliest. So plan on spending any residual budget on stocking up on everything else so we can start to gradually reduce our budget over the next few months.

Will need a bread whoopsie haul soon as the stocks in the freezer are getting limited so may have to start to walk to the supermarket each night until i get some (hopefully avoiding everything else in the process).
    Grocery Challenge Sept 17 £407.79/£434. Oct 17 £394.44/£400. Nov 17 £228.71/£400
    Car finance 28/08/2017 = £8819.52 Car finance now £7934.38 (27% paid).
    Tax credit debt 28/08/2017= £2300
  • £84.32/£100 main shop
    Week 1 £18.14/£25
    week 2 £33.07/£25
    Week 3 £0/£25
    Week 4 £0/£25

Budget for week 2 went a bit belly-up and am over by £8.00 due to buying alcohol treats for home instead of going out to the pub. So really an overall saving for our wallets but severely damaging my GC:o.

New week starts today with a shop for loo roll, milk, sweeteners & cereal. So am expecting that to be about a £8 shop plus free pizzas. Will try to stay out of food shops for the rest of the week.

Today will be making Split Pea and Courgette soup and Hm onion bhajis for dinner, I think. Must go pop split peas in soak before I pop back to bed to TRY to sleep!!
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • becky170becky170 Forumite
    627 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I seem to be well off track as I've already spent £117.11 of my £120 budget with still another two weeks to go. I think it's time to go into damage limitation mode and eat from the freezer/cupboard for the rest of the month. Mmmm....just remembered that I'm cooking for a friend tomorrow and still have a couple of bits and bobs to get...oh well!
    MFW 2020 #7 £1712/£3000
  • Had 3 NSDs on 7th, 8th and 9th, though not completely out of choice. My eczema became infected and my hands were virtually useless for 3 days. They're still pretty uncomfortable now. :(

My mum did drive over (an hour each way!) to take me to the walk-in centre on Saturday, paid for my prescriptions and then bought me lunch, so that was nice.

Spent £2.75 on lunch yesterday because I had ran out of lunch foods by this point and I have nothing easy to prepare.

Need to go shopping today, including for lunch, so expecting a much bigger spend soon...

Thats awful Miss Purple:grouphug:
    You are blessed that you have your mam to come and take care of you.

You are doing very well.

Take care
    E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • Hi all,

I spent £23.58 yesterday.

£5.74 at Mr S for milk, olives and cheats sauces.
    £6.34 at greengrocer on fruit and veg.
    £11.50 on meat at Iceland,this may be a false economy as I've never tried it before and hubby says that he used to buy it when he was a student (10 years ago) and it was horrid and grisly - we'll see.

K
    I am 56 years old with 3 cats and a beautiful view of the beach
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i went to tesco yesterday in search of cheap terrys chocolate oranges i didn't get any but i spent just over £5 on bread, bacon, reduced sausages sausage rolls, juice (requested by the kids) and some bogof £1 dairylea dunkers, still hopefully for my budget :) which is shocking considering how much of it i've used and theres over 2 weeks left to go, but i have lots in and don't need much

dinner is sausages mash and beans, lunch is leftovers (either pizza or sheperds pie i'll have whatever ds doesn't want)

i've bought meat from iceland before the frozen mince is horrible and the fresh mince is pretty standard i wouldn't bother with it unless i was near one and had nothing for tea, but there chicken fillets and cook from frozen chicken isn't bad the same goes for there cook from frozen joints
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...spent the last hour sorting out the tea...peeling etc as we need to take ds out at 5pm...all done and saves a big rush later

also made some chocolate crispy cakes and done some washing...total budget left until friday is zero so will need to make use of what i have in....quite a lot but i always run out of something critiacal like chocolate

have a nice day tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had to go to Homebase last night to get paint testers so took the opportunity to nip to A5da as it's close and I needed a loaf (I don't like A's bakery bread much, so I only bought a small one) Bought the 32 loo rolls for £10 whilst I was there and hit the whoopsies - 3 bags of parsnips @ 5p each (all parboiled, oiled and freeszing on open trays at the mo before going into bags later), spinach 5p (will be eaten with pasta tonight) 2bags of chopped curly cabbage green stuff @ 5p (some for g-pig and will use some at weekend and make bubble and squeak 'cakes' for freezer), pack of chicken pakoras 9p, tub of raita 9p, ham on the bone - 2 lots 40p & 75p (original price together £4.50), 4 mini pork pies topped with branston 20p (ate for my tea when I got in! - oops) 2 tubs of porridge with banana compote 10p - used for breakfast. None really essential, but most has landed in freezer or will beused in meals - oops - forgot the 2 donuts reduced to 14p...!! :D:D

Haven't totalled all my spends yet - off to do that now!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £584.09/£500 Decluttering: 1700/2020
  • I managed to have a few NSDs and grabbed a bargain whilst in Boots yesterday (not that I usually shop there as I find it a bit expensive). Managed to grab a Dove shower gel reduced from £2.69 to £1 and got a voucher from the little machine with my Boots card for 25% off so got it for 75p. Thinking about it now maybe I should have stocked up, oh well that will last a while at least :)
    £5 a day April 2012 £133.97 / £155
    £7.50 a day March 2012 £234.07 / £232.50
    Homebase Card - £1099.96 / [STRIKE]£1600[/STRIKE]
    Barclaycard £4546.60 / [STRIKE]£5556.60[/STRIKE]