PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

October 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mollythewestie
    Options
    I know I am a bit late this month, but we really need to start tightening our belts in more ways than one.
    I have regularly been spending around £450 a month on food/nappies/health and beauty stuff and need to cut that right back.

So I am setting a budget of £340 for october. We have a freezer FULL of stuff including dozens of sausages from DH's friend who keeps pigs, so we will have a pork filled month I think!:rotfl:
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    done my 'big shop' for the month in Mr M's, and spent £133.22, leaving me £91.78.
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm up to £118 already! That includes an AF order I placed last night, mostly pasta... not sure if it actually works out that good when you include delivery but I couldn't help myself!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Well the post arrived and in it a large brown official looking envelope, I couldnt be bothered to open it thinking it was probably bad news anyway.

Slept all afternoon so feeling a bit better and braver I opened it and am now quite stunned it seems I am offered several thousand pounds lump sum pension or more weekly pension.

If I take the lump sum my money worries are over

Meg - that's fantastic news!:D
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congrats to Meg, hope it makes you feel much better.

This week so far I have managed 2 NSD and my weekly total is upto 23.17 so as long as I dont really spend much (only have 1.83 left) I should come out OK, my week begins on a Friday, so its only tomorrow that I can spend, doesnt sound too bad when I when I put it like that but looks a bit pathetic in my purse!!!! Just put a lovely comforting stew on for tonights tea, then I will freeze whats left for another week, I love the comfort food!
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    Urghh feeling rotten can't shift this bug, on the plus side I have managed to stick to the meal plan (and haven't suggested to DH that he goes to get a take-away because I CBA)

Tuesday £1.80 2 x sprite (I remembered juice/snacks for the kids but forgot about me!)

Wednesday £13.05 harvest festival tins, potato scones & toilet rolls.

MrsMum

My kids can't go trick or treating - we are quite isolated... Last year, just as DD1 was about to go out to her school party she came down with a bug and could not go - she was so upset. Halloween wasn't actually for a couple of days so I cobbled together a halloween themed evening. They dooked for apples, had a dancing competition and had to tell a joke etc... We had carved a pumpkin each for them, made squeamish squares, choclate ghosts and bugs with orange jelly and eyeball pasta for main course. I made toffee apples (badly!) but best of all DD3 started to walk :D

I can let you see recipes/pictures/links if you would like some ideas - I only really had 24hrs notice so it was very "homemade" looking :o:D

School run time again - best wishes to everyone.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Big spend day for me today:-

Morrisons = £17.88

Tesco = £49.94

Lidl = 22.16

Total spent = £89.90

Well it was a bigger spend than I had budgeted for, but I did get the cushelle on offer in Lidl for £6.99 to add and then 12 cans of soup on offer in Tesco for £6.00. I only went into Morrisons because they had the cereals on offer and I wanted to stock up on those. I had budgeted for £200.00 this month which might crash through the barrier, but next weeks shopping list is looking pretty small and we have the butchers visit (which I had budgeted for taking our total spend up to £380.00) into account. Once that is done then the whole shopping should, in theory, come down!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Well having been unwell, my cooking has been basic and now I have a fridge full of vegetables that I really must use or loose. I had started to get a fruit and veg box and then have been unable to stand in the kitchen or chop things so it has all stayed in the fridge.
    I have some spinach to use up. (Not my favourite of things), and although I have seen the pancake recipe I dont have any eggs so thats out, I cannot think of anything I could do with it.
    I also have Chard? Not had that before.
    Courgettes
    Carrots
    Onion
    Red Pepper
    and a mini squash to use up. Any ideas?
    Oh and leeks and potatoes.

I thought that I could do a leek and potato soup, tomorrow.
    Possibly a vegetable stir fry tonight, or even a beef one as I have some mini steaks in the fridge, so normally I would use carrots onions and peppers there, with some boiled rice added.
    But as the spinach and the chard are the oldest in the fridge I will need to try and use them up first.
    No doubt the squash will last a little while, giving me time to find something to do with them, and get shopping for eggs etc that I may need.

Sorry to ramble.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

NSD for me today:j

Did get the new jamie O book today delivered from Ama£on ( had a voucher)- took it to work to read over lunch - not bad, but not brill, may save it for DD,s boyfriend, who wants to be a chef for christmas, so at least it won,t go to waste.

Feeling very tired at the moment, was up by 5:mad: just can,t seem to sleep.

MOOLOO - I love spinich just fried with butter and a bit of nutmeg till just wilted, and squash soup is lush and really easy to make, or chop it up and use it in a curry is always good.

Anyway must drag my butt to the kitchen and peel the spuds for tonights offering of sausage and mash with peas and onion gravy - posh or what :D

Have a fab evening all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a little spend of £11.75 on cooked chickens and salad to add to my total....spent £16 or so this month and we haven't even had any shopping delivered yet:eek:
    The end is in sight for our kitchen to be done so hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to use my cooker again. We are all very tired of microwave meals and toast lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport