MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• neverdespairgirlneverdespairgirl Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    john539 wrote: »
    And when was the last time you dealt with the real world daily lives of people on benefits. ;)

Does what you think match the real world ?

Today. Next question?
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • BigAuntyBigAunty Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many on benefits won't have spare cash to cover the monthly period, because benefits cover the bare minimum.

So the money will run out earlier.

Your mistake is to think it's just about money, it isn't.

No, I am considering the cultural and behavioural factors which does require people to change their approach to managing money when they get precisely the same sum in a monthly period as they would in shorter periods....

It does require a change in mindset - "must pace my spending to last the full month rather than spend it upfront..."

But that's the same cultural factors that are in play with the move to LHA where private tenants now receive it directly "must pass it onto the landlord to pay my rent rather than spend it on other things..."
  • BigAunty wrote: »
    No, I am considering the cultural and behavioural factors which does require people to change their approach to managing money when they get precisely the same sum in a monthly period as they would in shorter periods....

It does require a change in mindset - "must pace my spending to last the full month rather than spend it upfront..."

But that's the same cultural factors that are in play with the move to LHA where private tenants now receive it directly "must pass it onto the landlord to pay my rent rather than spend it on other things..."

Its ironic the DWP want to change the mindset of claimaints, when they themselves are incapable of managing money properly. After all, DWP error is bigger than claimaint fraud.

And lets face it, the DWP can't organise a party in a brewery in my experience of them....
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • Percy1983 wrote: »
    Don't forget the bare minimum does include fags, cider and the most recent xbox 360 games.

Funny how someone would mention that. a weeks JSA doesn't even cover a "recent xbox 360 game" So if you can't afford a recent xbox 360 game how can you really afford a recent xbox 360 game, Fags and Cider?

You need to wake up and stop tying every smack rat with a genuine Jobless person.

God help you little minded people when you get laid off.
  • edited 21 November 2011 at 8:21PM
    john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 November 2011 at 8:21PM
    Today. Next question?
    BigAunty wrote: »

In theory it shouldn't be a problem, in practice it will be.

In theory people shouldn't be unemployed, shouldn't get into debt, shouldn't commit crimes, shouldn't get sick, should be more educated, should be able to read & write, shouldn't be drunks, shouldn't take drugs, shouldn't be homeless etc etc.

In practice all of these are common.

It doesn't matter what you, Iain Duncan Smith think in theory, in practice it won't work.

You are not the ones to have to make the benefit system work, the day to day reality & problems, the practical reality will overtake the theory in practice.

The idea of one man Iain Duncan Smith that paying benefits monthly to prepare them for work to change their behaviour & mindset, is the single most important thing is just naive, simplistic & stupid.

People claiming benefits have fallen on hard times, you're dealing with people with problems, not just the money.

The simple solution is to let the claimant decide how they want to to be paid & payment period, monthly or fortnightly. Let them decide, don't force it on them.

• john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And look at what has happened to LHA rules & its original intention !

Please don't quote stupid examples as the general rule.

I'm not sure how many sensible people think of spending their rent on "other things" unless they want to get evicted.

And remember, many landlords are now complaining that LHA is not generally paid direct to them which can cause problems if tenant's don't pay on time or spend rent on other things.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can still budget weekly even if you receive your money monthly. You don't have to get a month's worth of everything in one go!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • BigAuntyBigAunty Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

The simple solution is to let the claimant decide how they want to to be paid & payment period, monthly or fortnightly. Let them decide, don't force it on them.

Employees don't have this luxury and must simply adapt to the existing payrun - let's not allow those receiving state benefits to have greater privileges than those earning the taxes that provide them.

One thing that disincentives some from leaving benefits is the steep and sudden withdrawal of benefits until their first pay day, the genuine anxiety that they will not be able to make ends meet coming off benefits and onto the payroll.

So let's not add another barrier where they feel similarly anxious because they got used to weekly benefits and don't think they can hack monthly pay because it's too big a change?
  • john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Employees don't have this luxury and must simply adapt to the existing payrun - let's not allow those receiving state benefits to have greater privileges than those earning the taxes that provide them.

One thing that disincentives some from leaving benefits is the steep and sudden withdrawal of benefits until their first pay day, the genuine anxiety that they will not be able to make ends meet coming off benefits and onto the payroll.

So let's not add another barrier where they feel similarly anxious because they got used to weekly benefits and don't think they can hack monthly pay because it's too big a change?
    It's all gone over your head, you don't get it.

You have ignored the points raised.

You are focussing on one theoretical point when there are far more important practical issues.

It doesn't matter, it won't happen. ;)
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Don't forget the bare minimum does include fags, cider and the most recent xbox 360 games.
    Here we have example of the wonderful condemning daily hate reader who does not have the foggiest idea what life on benefits is like and believes we should, to be acceptable live like the following:
    Damp Flats or houses with exploiting landlords:mad::mad:
    Being exploited by the State and providing free labour for highly profitable big business.
    We must NOT eat organic!! (I wait for your condemnation of my SOA with GREAT relish ) we must only eat bland tasteless food.:eek::eek::eek:
    We must not ever drink alcohol, smoke fags, or take drugs that is for the upper classes our Superiors. They can do everything we the scum of the earth must be regulated by our Superiors the daily hate and it's Tory minions.:eek::eek::mad::mad:
    Our jobs must be precarious insecure etc no WEALTH no SOCIAL MOBILITY that is SO DARLLING MSE!!!!!!!!!!
    No live in or hubby we must be chaste men or lonely spinsters.
    We must have nosy parkers sanctioned by the Tory party spying on our every move.:mad::mad::eek::eek:
    This satisfies the whims of the curtain twitchers who would absolutely adore the coercive environment of benefits claiming.
    We must vote Tory even though our jobs are precarious, we are about to be made redundant any minute, the company stole our pension to pay for Gordon browns plans, even if we are working class.
    we must believe all our superior media thinks about.
    so this is what I conclude.
    Of course we on benefits must budget but what we spend our money on is none of your !!!!ing narrow minded mean spirited business!
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals