We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Toyota oil pressure

I have a toyota corolla. Just recently I noticed that my "low oil pressure" warning light is on and off when I press clutch down or when slow down. It goes back to normal after a while, or when I speed up again.

I checked the oil level, it was within the limits.

What are the possible causes and how to fix it?
Before I am off to the local garage, I would like to know what solutions there are.

It's a toyota corelloa car

Thanks for any advice
«13

Comments

  • Hopefully the cause is a low tickover speed or just needs an oil & filter change.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    I'd say it's struggling at tickover.... But saying "I have a Toyota corolla" is about as vague as it gets, there have been 10 different Toyota Corolla's, (we're now onto the MK10 I believe).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    I'd say it's struggling at tickover.... But saying "I have a Toyota corolla" is about as vague as it gets, there have been 10 different Toyota Corolla's, (we're now onto the MK10 I believe).

    Hi,

    what does "struggling at tickover mean" in layman terms? I am not very good at cars. How to repair this?

    I have found more information for the car,
    TOYOTA COROLLA SR 1587.0

    Does that help?
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    More to the point what age is it??, what is the mileage??, how much oil does it use between changes??, and as said before when was the last time you changed the oil????

    If it wasn't within the last 6k then change it NOW.

    Toyotas have a reputation for reliability, buy they are not abuse proof. ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Ok, let me explain...

    Oil pressure is a measurement of pressure maintained by the oil pump, oil is sucked up from the bottom of the engine, into the oil pump and then up into the top of the engine, where the pressure then forces it through various holes/channels until it reaches the pistons, it then drips off back into the bottom of the engine and the whole process continues constantly.

    The oil pressure needs to be high enough to push the oil up into the top of the engine, if the pressure drops, then oils stops flowing at the required rate and overheating/damage will occur as metal grinds on metal.

    The oil pump in "normal" cars is driven by the engine itself, the faster the engine runs, the more pressure the pump develops. It then has a release valve that keeps the pressure from being too high, as this can cause blown headgaskets.

    Performance/race cars often have electric pumps which maintain constant oil pressure regardless of engine speed.

    So if your engine is being laboured (running in too high gear) or has trouble getting back to normal idle speed after you come off the throttle, the oil pressure becomes too low and the warning light pops up.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • toyota did have issues with piston rings, make sure its not using more than a litre of oil every 1000 miles. google toyota oil consumption problem you'll find it.

    I had a celica that fell foul to this at 67k miles with FTSH :(
  • Thanks everyone for explaining this.

    I think I will get the oil changed next.
    Apart from that, is there anything else that needs changing/repairing? such as new filter, new sensor, or even new pump?

    Also can anyone advise how to check how much oil is used, say, per 1000 miles?

    Cheers
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    User2050 wrote: »
    I have a toyota corolla. Just recently I noticed that my "low oil pressure" warning light is on and off when I press clutch down or when slow down. It goes back to normal after a while, or when I speed up again.

    I checked the oil level, it was within the limits.

    What are the possible causes and how to fix it?
    Before I am off to the local garage, I would like to know what solutions there are.

    It's a toyota corelloa car

    Thanks for any advice

    Assuming the oil pressure light switch in the engine block isn't at fault and being a £10 part I'd change it to make sure....

    Oil pump is worn or the bottom end of the engine is worn. That won't be cheap in either case. An oil and filter change is not going to fix a light that is coming on even if its been 50,000 miles since the oil was last changed.

    Until you've had the switch checked, stop driving the car. The longer you continue to do it, the more damage will be caused and the more expensive it will be to fix.
  • How old is the car and how many miles has it done?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    If your getting oil changed, it might be worth going with a slightly higher viscosity oil. As this will help maintain oil pressure....
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.