We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Toyota oil pressure

2

Comments

  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If your getting oil changed, it might be worth going with a slightly higher viscosity oil. As this will help maintain oil pressure....


    That worked wonders in a Vauxhall Senator I had years ago.:)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I'm sorry but this is a hopeless case, Jueeezzz I don't believe it, the OP accepts that he needs to change the oil, or rather "thinks he'll get it done next, but still wonders if the filter needs changing, :o.

    Sorry if seems patronising but mad2.gifmad2.gifmad2.gif


    The info so far says so much more about the owner than the car,:(
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    I'm sorry but this is a hopeless case, Jueeezzz I don't believe it, the OP accepts that he needs to change the oil, or rather "thinks he'll get it done next, but still wonders if the filter needs changing, :o.

    Sorry if seems patronising but mad2.gifmad2.gifmad2.gif


    The info so far says so much more about the owner than the car,:(


    The days where everyone knew how to change a wheel, how to check their oil levels and other very basic maintenance tasks, are long gone.

    Can't blame owners either, it's the manufacturers and the way they make modern cars very hard to work on, you need specialist tools just to change an oil filter on some cars.

    We've got to a point where we just drive our cars and when they go wrong we just turn the radio up until it's time for the MOT.

    People know nothing of cars because they don't need to any more......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    People know nothing of cars because they don't need to any more......

    I'd like to think of us are different.. i'm in my mid 20's and will quite happily try fitting something on my car first before going to a mechanic when I'm really stuck/don't have the time.

    I'm even teaching my gf to do the basics!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If your getting oil changed, it might be worth going with a slightly higher viscosity oil. As this will help maintain oil pressure....

    I would guess that OP doesn't know what grade oil is in the engine or how many miles it's done. As a guess I'd suggest replacing with 10W40 non-synthetic and renewing the filter using a Toyota part and see if that cures the symptoms. If not then replace the sensor. If that doesn't cure it then it might get expensive although some engines will run for years with marginal oil pressure.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    The days where everyone knew how to change a wheel, how to check their oil levels and other very basic maintenance tasks, are long gone...........

    Well, apart from needing to know it to pass the driving test that is.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If your getting oil changed, it might be worth going with a slightly higher viscosity oil. As this will help maintain oil pressure....

    Seriously, when it comes to cars and mechanical advice I really do wish you would keep your "heard it down the pub from a mate" advice to yourself.

    No it won't make it better. In fact it'll ACCELERATE the problem.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Seriously, when it comes to cars and mechanical advice I really do wish you would keep your "heard it down the pub from a mate" advice to yourself.

    No it won't make it better. In fact it'll ACCELERATE the problem.

    I don't understand. Increased viscosity is very likely to increase the oil pressure if it's low enough not to be limited by the pressure relief valve. It obviously won't cure pump or bearing wear but it might give the bearings an easier time. The only downside could be a slower circulation from cold but we're still talking about normal engine oil - say 15W40 or 20W50 at most.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    This is why I was trying to get some basic info out of the OP.
    Some older engines just don't like "newer" semi or full synthetics, they need the old 20/50 mineral oil, remember it isn't that long ago that standard GTX was considered the bees knees;)


    The fact that no one probably including the OP knows whats been in there and for how long really does supply all the info needed to initially tackle the problem, but I still cannot believe he doesn't/didn't know to change the filter at the same time, :eek:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2011 at 9:27AM
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Seriously, when it comes to cars and mechanical advice I really do wish you would keep your "heard it down the pub from a mate" advice to yourself.

    No it won't make it better. In fact it'll ACCELERATE the problem.


    How do you know it wasn't filled up with a lower viscosity oil than it should have?

    How do you know if the oil has ever been changed? lazy !!!! mechanics are everywhere these days! the oil could have the consistency of water by now........

    I ran the Westfield on the Fords 5w30 semi-synth oil (as recommended by a "friend") and it struggled to get an oil pressure reading at warm idle speed, but it jumped to near 3 bar given a few krpm (idle speed is 1000-1200 rpm). I swapped it to 10w40 and the problem disappeared instantly..... I now have consistent oil pressure.

    The difference? 30 SAE versus 40 SAE at 100°C (the 5 / 10 is worthless once the engine is warm).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.