The storecupboard saved us!!!

New Post Advanced Search

The storecupboard saved us!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
23 replies 2.3K views
mouseymousey99mouseymousey99 Forumite
1.9K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
(Squeeky sorrry if there is already a thread - I did a search but I can't find one, if you need me to I'll do storecupboard).

Due to (yet another) financial disaster here we are trying to survive on about £9 per week.:eek: The storecupboard is really helping here.
The 'best buy' I made was a big bag of Basmati rice on the market for about £3, its paid for itself so many times over. Other good buys were some kidney,canelloni beans and chick peas Sainsburys (suprise eh?) sold 3 for £1 last year, so I bought lots at the time. Other things like spices which I buy in BIG packets from chinnese supermarket working double time too!
Got me wondering what is the best thing in your storecupboard??

Replies

• MrsTinksMrsTinks Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tinned tomatoes :) ALWAYS have a tin or 4 because you can use it as a base for almost anything :) Stew, pasta sauce, soup, casserole, curry - you name it :)
    Lentils - dry ones of any sort keep forever and a day and can be used to bulk out loads of dishes.
    Pasta - cheap and cheerful but a nice alternative to rice :)
    Fresh herbs in the garden... even this time of year I have rosemary, mint and parsley growing in pots outside :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • apple_mintapple_mint Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Every month I restock my store cupboard with:

A tray of value tomatoes
    Tins of broken mandarins (go on my breakfast oats and topped with HM yoghurt
    Tubes of tomato puree
    Tins of sweetcorn
    Tins of peas
    Cous Cous
    Bulgar Wheat
    Sainsbury's TVP mince (stretches mince meals)
    A range of flours (plain, SR, Bread, wholemeal)
    Pasta flour (oo)
    Cartons of UHT milk
    Orange juice
    Kalo Stock Cube
    Marigold Boullion
    Rice
    Various beans etc

From this I can make a variety meals when some fresh veg, fruit and meat are factored in.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • tapladytaplady Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    (Squeeky sorrry if there is already a thread - I did a search but I can't find one, if you need me to I'll do storecupboard).

Due to (yet another) financial disaster here we are trying to survive on about £9 per week.:eek: The storecupboard is really helping here.
    The 'best buy' I made was a big bag of Basmati rice on the market for about £3, its paid for itself so many times over. Other good buys were some kidney,canelloni beans and chick peas Sainsburys (suprise eh?) sold 3 for £1 last year, so I bought lots at the time. Other things like spices which I buy in BIG packets from chinnese supermarket working double time too!

WOW you're doing well to survive on £9 a week!:T how are you managing?
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cooking apples still keeping well to go with blackberries from the freezer
    Herbs - fresh, dried and frozen

Many have been said but I would add:-
    Marmite (jar lasts forever)
    Worcester Sauce to liven up casserole or stir-fry
    Flour - to make cheap scones for packed lunches (popped in the oven with something else of course)
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • sashacatsashacat Forumite
    786 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've got bulgar wheat in my cupboard that my dd bought and I don't know what to do with it. I nearly threw it out yesterday..what can I do with it?
    Wombling £457.41
  • jcr16jcr16 Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i always have pasta , frozen steak mince , tinned toms , kidney beans , baked beans , cheese , flour , all varitey's of sugar , oats , uht milk , sultana's just to name a few. i like to have items that can be used for lots of different recipes if u get my drift. but store cupboards and freezers getting run down so don't have all the above in at mo.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i allways make sure i have tinned toms.....and rice......and my curry powders/herbs...and my sack of spuds...

as you can curry anything........:D
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Hi Taplady, If you think of all those bits n bobs you put away think 'oneday I'll use that' well this is it!! Today the frozen ministrone, 2 bits of salmon went into a kedgeree & we finally had ate some of the Christmas pud. After reading Tine's post I raided the garden & got handful of shriveled parsley but it cheered up the soup. I also have a mega bag of porridge so next week guess what's for breakfast? I soooo miss me glass of wine in the evening though. Even the poor cats are on Aldi dry cat food (but they are really liking it).
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sashacat - about the bulgar wheat - use it as a rice substitute in pilaff/risotto type dishes :)
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea to do a store cupboard collection thanks :)

Post into the volunteer thread and PM Pink because she is managing the list.

And yes, you'll probably find a store cupboard thread or two about the place when you get going :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50