MSE News: 'Delay iPhone purchase' ahead of iPhone 5 launch

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
30 replies 4.1K views

Replies

• OccyOccy Forumite
    146 Posts
    I am keen to get the Galaxy S2 but would like to pay less, anyone got any stats on what happens to Apple's competitor's phones when the new models come out?

Occy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    C25K Graduate :D
  • poppy10_2poppy10_2 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://allthingsd.com/20110912/consumers-still-love-last-years-iphone/

Consumers are still buying the iPhone 4 in droves despite the release of a new model being widely reported in the press. The two year old iPhone 3GS is still selling relatively strongly too, despite having puny specs compared to any midrange smartphone today.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of the iPhone 5 being revolutionary. Most of the apps in the appstore aren't even taking full advantage of the iPhone 4's capabilities as they are trying to maintain compatibility with older versions. Apple is facing its own market fragmentation problem. Last year all the press were raving about how the 4's gyroscope would revolutionize gaming. How many games have been released that use the gyro? There's a handful of basically tech demos and that's it.
    Even if the iPhone 5 beefs up the specs to match other smartphones currently on the market, without widespread app support for the new features you won't really get any advantage from owning the newer model.
    poppy10
  • jenniewb wrote: »
    It would seem as if Apple are losing so much at the moment with their 'visionaire' taking a back seat...
    Visionary even?
  • I've often wondered why MSE has so much about iphones but is not a site about being as cheap as possible, its about consumer revenge and getting the best price for what you want. Since iphones are so popular and also so overpriced its a very good product to try and get the best deals on.
    Im looking to get an iphone when my contract runs out, possibly even a 2nd hand version 3, I've currently got a Samsung Galaxy S and its shockingly bad! Will never get another Samsung smart phone again.
    Bump due 22nd September
  • elephantrosieelephantrosie Forumite
    467 Posts
    ✭✭
    first time i heard samsung galaxy s is bad!
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Consumer Revenge = get iphone as cheaply as possible with fab customer service. Nab the best and make em pay!
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've often wondered why MSE has so much about iphones but is not a site about being as cheap as possible, its about consumer revenge and getting the best price for what you want. Since iphones are so popular and also so overpriced its a very good product to try and get the best deals on.
    Im looking to get an iphone when my contract runs out, possibly even a 2nd hand version 3, I've currently got a Samsung Galaxy S and its shockingly bad! Will never get another Samsung smart phone again.

If you think of consumer choice and getting what will enrich your life, from cheap Manolo Blahniks to Iphones to Macs whatever! Surely Consumer Revenge is getting products at best price paying minimum so we keep all our income and they don't get any or little as possible!
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why MSE go on about it a great phone whatever the stuff us Iphone and Apple fans complaint rightly and justly about!
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does the Iphone 5 offer punctuation mode?
  • mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    chanz4 wrote: »
    why create such a hype for a brand, shouldnt MSE not be promoting this product so much?

It's to let people know who are looking to buy an iPhone that it might be wise to wait a little bit longer as a newer model will be out soon, and by waiting you will likely get better value for money. Other manufacturers release so many phones in the same time period that it wouldn't be practicle to notify people about them (plus you'd be permanently waiting for the next model since they are released so often!).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals