Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

MSE News: 'Delay iPhone purchase' ahead of iPhone 5 launch

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: 'Delay iPhone purchase' ahead of iPhone 5 launch

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mobiles
30 replies 4.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mobiles
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"iPhone buyers have been urged to wait before buying a new handset as prices could drop, while a new model is also due ..."

Replies

• gjchestergjchester Forumite
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Historically Apple withdraw the current versions and put in place a lower spec version. It's ecpevted that the iPhone 4 in 16 & 32 GB form will cease to exist and a 8GB version arrive.

Prices will dro pbut so will spec.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am waiting to see 02 to make this their "deal of the week" before it vanishes.

It would seem as if Apple are losing so much at the moment with their 'visionaire' taking a back seat (and more power to him for placing his health and quality of life ahead of his cashflow) but it just seems mad to me that they cut their nose to spite their face with this. Or is it that they seriously have doubts with each of their newer models, that just not as good as their old ones? No other mobile handset or even electronic business seems to work in this way, Odd!
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If apple make it the sheep will follow whatever the cost.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017 :T
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017 :j
    Started third business 25/06/2016 ;)
    Son born 13/09/2015:kisses2:
    Started a second business 03/08/2013 :D
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012 :beer:
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why create such a hype for a brand, shouldnt MSE not be promoting this product so much?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • jenniewb wrote: »
    Am waiting to see 02 to make this their "deal of the week" before it vanishes.

It would seem as if Apple are losing so much at the moment with their 'visionaire' taking a back seat (and more power to him for placing his health and quality of life ahead of his cashflow) but it just seems mad to me that they cut their nose to spite their face with this. Or is it that they seriously have doubts with each of their newer models, that just not as good as their old ones? No other mobile handset or even electronic business seems to work in this way, Odd!

wha?

He only took a back seat recently, and has likely been developing the iPhone 5 since the fourth one has been released and all design and plans for the phone were probably mostly finalised before he left. I think it will be much longer until the effects of his departure will be realised.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chanz4 wrote: »
    why create such a hype for a brand, shouldnt MSE not be promoting this product so much?

or looking at what it says
    if you are about to buy an iphone 4 it maybe better to wait and get a better deal when the 5 is officially announced
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my point is they dont do this for every phone manufacture, so why be unfair and do it about apple
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chanz4 wrote: »
    my point is they dont do this for every phone manufacture, so why be unfair and do it about apple

because its an annual event
    people would buy the iphone if it was a new colour vs last year
    they are paying a massive premium for it being cool
    those not buying into the hype tend not to be getting milked quite so much on their purchase anyway
  • edited 12 September 2011 at 7:41PM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 September 2011 at 7:41PM
    custardy wrote: »
    or looking at what it says
    if you are about to buy an iphone 4 it maybe better to wait and get a better deal when the 5 is officially announced
    • We just had the article about the "rumours" a few days ago, didn't we?
    • For all goods with very few exceptions it is obvious that the prices on the previous model drop when the new model is released.
    • iPhone is probably the only exception for which this is not obvious and probably is not the case.

So, what's the point?
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iphone 6 3g is coming out next year to, but not before the iphone 5 white to use up all parts
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support