PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS Daily Sunday 4th Sept

Options
Hardup_Hester
Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
edited 4 September 2011 at 11:19AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Sunday 4th Sept. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Morning all
Up at silly o'clock here, hey ho back to work full time tomorrow so maybe that will sort my body clock out.
Plans for today include a little bit of washing, a little bit of ironing & cooking a Sunday roast.
Have a good day everyone.
Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.

Comments

• mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning, Hester, and all who follow.

Have missed a couple of days on here for various reasons, one of them being that the hours just whizz by these days and most days I just don't seem to accomplish all that I set out to do!

We've been helping out some friends who seem to be going through one crisis after another; they had invited us round to lunch yesterday to thank us for our help (not that we expected anything), but the husband was ill so that was cancelled. I had by then been enjoying the fact that it would mean a cooking-free day for me, so I had not defrosted anything to cook so we ended up with an omelette, which was lovely. Today I shall do shepherd's pie, a rare treat because DH always wants baked beans with it, and proper baked beans are hard to find here in France. Now and again, the local supermarket gets a few tins in and, luckily, I was able to buy some the other day. The French baked beans are awful - really bland and tasteless!

DH has been trying to finish painting the outside front of the house but, after a sweltering hot day on Friday, yesterday we had torrential rain, so that stopped play completely and we ended up flopping around for most of the afternoon.

I expect today will be a busy day in lots of households as the children get ready for going back to school. Good luck to all those who are going to school for the first time. My DGS is moving up to 'big' school, so I am a bit nervous for him.

Well, I think I'll go and put the washing on; with any luck it will be a good drying day.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone.

I thought I'd end up starting the thread but clearly some are even earlier birds than me :rotfl:
    Killer cat refuses to push cat flap open exiting the house so she starts mucking about, knocking stuff off bedside tables and I have to get up and let her out. Now the whole point of a cat flap was to avoid me having to do this <rollseyes>

No idea what we are doing today. Judging by H's status updates on FB his comment of "I won't be late up" as I went to bed was a total lie and I think he came to bed late. Which probably means he'll be wanting a lie in <more rollseyes>

Tea tonight will be chicken that I shall put on shortly to roast.

Hugs and spoons all round. Have a good day OS or not.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Essex-girl_2
    Options
    Good Morning All

Been up a while and enjoying the peace and quiet while everyone else sleeps in.

Not sure what is happening today, might be heading out to a market somewhere. Need to get my ironing done, has been too hot the last couple of days.

Think we are ready for the kids to go to school/college must remember to wash DS' new shirts.

Thats about it for me today, have a chicken roast thingy from M&S which had been reduced, trouble is it is just enough for 4 and now DD's boyfriend is coming over so will have to have a rethink.

Have a great day all.x
  • Red_Doe
    Red_Doe Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    morning everyone :)
    Was up early this morning (curse of insomnia) and should have been productive but arthritis is plaguing me with this wet cold weather so am sitting here on the laptop with a hot coffee and painkillers inside me. :)
    When the pain loosens up a little, I'll clean out the open fire and set it up for lighting later, then get a start on processing more garden veg for the freezer. The other day I froze home made chips and mash and both worked out really well so I'm happy I've learned another way to store tatties beyond clamping and sacking. :) So today will be making more chips, mash and wedges, plus freezing cabbage, parsnips and onions.
    Then making muffins and scones for supper tonight.
    I was knitting mittens then realised I screwed those up *blush* by using the wrong size needles...so mittens that should have fit my daughter will happily fit a largish dolly....
    so until I can find the right size needles, I'm knitting socks. Can only do those on two needles as I don't have a circular one and don't know how to use it, but they're coming along nicely. Was sitting quite cosily watching tv last night (Bladerunner, one of my faves :) ) and knitting stocking stitch socks. :D
    So later this afternoon will get on with those.
    Really hope everyone has a lovely, lazy Sunday, and that the sun shines somewhere and brightens up the world. :)
    "Ignore the eejits...it saves your blood pressure and drives `em nuts!" :D
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning earlybirds and everyone else,

BB - I am having cat issues too - we have 3, all mad, but our eldest lady appears to be suffering altzeimers and walks directly over anything in her path, generally my head at stupid o,clock, then sits making a noise like an old trim-phone to herself in the mirror! :rotfl:

DW on, WM on, Gammon soaking for cooking later, got to pick DS2 up at lunchtime, been at his Dad,s for a week, we,ve missed him, but as a teenager, he will no doubt be out to see his mates within 5 mins of being home - hey- ho;)

Kids back to school wed/thurs depending on their school year, DD aleady moaning as it will interfer with her social life :cool: love kids - couldn,t eat a whole one...............:D

Have a great day all, and hope things are well with those having a rough time at the moment xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Nicky2905
    Options
    Good morning all :)
    Kids are up - far too much energy! DD goes back to school tomorrow :( so today will be making fruit jellies for her lunchboxes, getting uniform ready etc. Just noticed I've got 3 pints of milk on their last day, so looks like it'll be macaroni cheese tonight - and milkshakes with ice-cream in as a treat!
    Hope everyone has a great day!!
    September GC £341/£300
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Hugs to all who need them especially Lou, JackieG, Butterfly and Bramble

Congratulations CG, I love the name!

Last day of the holidays! The 6 weeks seem to have flown by.

It is day 2 of the netball tournament. DD2's team played their hearts out yesterday. They were never going to end up in the top half of the draw as all the top teams in the country are there but they never gave up and were rewarded by winning their last game. Today should be a lot easier for them as the top 6 teams will be playing each other for the trophy and the bottom 6 six teams will be playing for the plate. I watched 3 of their games yesterday and I intend to stay for the whole day today.

Tea tonight is roast pork and all the trimmings and then an early night before my return to work tomorrow.

Have a lovely day everyone.:)
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Morning all

The dead body has been named locally but not yet by the police, but thank god it's not one of my work kids, and I don't think he has been involved with our charity at all unless it was before my time. He was only 17, news is saying accident but rumours are he was intoxicated when he went into the water :( . people have been leaving flowers by the dockside. One of my current work kids knew him socially, not sure bout the others yet. So sad x

Anyway, bit of a miserable start to day here, but there is hope of blue sky in the distance.

Not sure what I'm going to do today. Flatmate is out all day so have place to myself. I need to sort few more bits out for my holiday. If I can be bothered I may go out for a spin to a few local dealerships to see what cars they have available as I really need to start the ball rolling to get new one.

OS wise - dry laundry needs to be put away, DW been on overnight so needs emptying, WM will go on with bedding - Flatmate has this amazing electric airer so we can dry stuff indoors when raining and it only uses a tiny amount of electricity, way cheaper than the tumble dryer. I may do some batch cooking if I don't go out.

Have a good day all

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good Morning x
    Flutterby - such a sad waste of a young life:(
    Hester - I know what you mean about your body clock. Once it is out of sync it is really hard to get back into a proper sleep pattern. I was awake for three hours at about 1ish but dozed off again for a couple of hours.

Raining today but warm. We are hopefully going to Bath today for a couple of nights. I think everything is organised apart from packing:T

Will keep in touch x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Essex Girl, cook a packet of sausages to go with the chicken to make it stretch.
    Heste

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport