We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Grants for school fees

Options

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    Unless your child has a talent or is extremely gifted, a scholarship is unlikely. If you will struggle with the fees dont forget the added costs of activities etc.

Also, if you cant afford after the first year, will your child have any friends to start the new school year with at another school?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some public schools ask fee-paying parents for a contribution towards the school's bursary fund.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Some public schools ask fee-paying parents for a contribution towards the school's bursary fund.

Those contributions are voluntary.

Most schools have a parents committee which raise fund for bursaries and other such school needs.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP if you contact your local Council for Voluntary Services office, they may have Funderfinder database which will have details of local and national organisations/charities which fund private education for those who qualify.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    this has already been covered by the OP ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=761013
  • haylibo
    haylibo Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Options
    this has already been covered by the OP ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=761013
    It was suggested she'd do better to post elsewhere than the discussion forum of the arms.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go to your local library and look at the Directory of grant making trusts.

This lists small / large trusts that give money and for what.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    greenwich wrote: »
    Seriously, the charities commission is currently going after private schools: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7189874.stm
    And quite rightly so.:T
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    Do you know of any grants that you can get for private school?

I have just found that I can get the a year of nursery grant awarded for his first year of private school.

Are there any grants on offer if the parents are disabled?

This thread isnt for a debate on private vs state education. I'm happy to debate that elsewhere, but the decision has been made which is in the best interests of the child involved.

Not sure if this will help, but your local library should hold a book called "Directory of Grants for People in Need".

It lists all (non government) grants and assistance offered to different people, who may need help.

Have you also tried speaking to your local Social Services or Education Dept.,? - if it's considered to be in the best interests of your child to go to a particular school, it may be that they can offer some financial help.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • anonymousie
    anonymousie Posts: 995 Forumite
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    Do you know of any grants that you can get for private school?

e.g. I have just found that I can get the a year of nursery grant awarded for his first year of private school.

Are there any grants on offer if one parent is disabled?

This thread is not for a debate on private vs state education. I'm happy to debate that elsewhere, but the decision has been made which is in the best interests of the child involved.

Just a side comment.

You do realise that the nursery grant is the same that every child gets at 3+ and it covers only something like a 2.5hr session 5 days a week. THis often doesn't cover the costs of a "full mornings" place at a private daycare type nursery, so wouldn't cover full fees for a FT place by a fair distance.

If you are very low income then you may get scholarships but I doubt untill 11+, and the child would need to be pretty exceptional (which of course he is, as he is yours:rotfl: no, seriously, you can't base any financial planning on anything other than having to pay full fees I fear).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport