Grants for school fees

Options
Hi,

I'm considering applying for a bursary for school fees, but the form asks if I've applied for financial assistance from anywhere else.

I wasnt aware that there was anywhere else I could apply to for financial assistance - anyone else know?

I've googled, but it comes up with loads of other search sites or sites offering savings 'plans'.

This thread isnt for a debate on private vs state education. I'm happy to debate that elsewhere, but the decision has been made which is in the best interests of the child involved.

Thanks in advance!

Mumsxx
*** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is purely a guess I don't know. Is it possible that some peoples employers help?:confused: eg If you were in the forces, (though I don't know if the forces help with private day school or just boarding school).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is purely a guess I don't know. Is it possible that some peoples employers help?:confused: eg If you were in the forces, (though I don't know if the forces help with private day school or just boarding school).
  • welshcakes
    Options
    The question on the form also covers the possibility if any Educational Trust Fund that might be available as well as sponsorship from private individuals or companies. Local Councils sometimes offer one off grants for education and whilst it is discretionary and infrequent, they do exist.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
  • welshcakes
    Options
    The question on the form also covers the possibility if any Educational Trust Fund that might be available as well as sponsorship from private individuals or companies. Local Councils sometimes offer one off grants for education and whilst it is discretionary and infrequent, they do exist.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My DD sits the entrance exam next week for our local private school and it said the same on our form. I looked around for any other 'grant awarding body', and failed to find anything that would suit us. Some C of E schools offer bursaries for ministers children (which my daughter is) - but thats the wrong denomination for me. The school that we are aplpying to offers a 100% bursary for families with income below 35,000 and that are currently in state school and likely to get level 5 SATS - this is what we are hoping for - otehrwise we are looking at a foundation award of 50% fee remission, but we would still have to find £350 per month for fees.
  • Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    inkie, the first sounds like the school fees i need, lol!! One of the schools he's sitting for use most of theirs on income levels below £30k, and the other below £52k, so it's always worth asking. I'll google "grant awarding body" too (I've been googling allsorts - sure you did too) and see if anything useful comes up.

Good idea Spendless. Dh works for another education authority, so I could try there, and our own council, thanks welshcakes.
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

• inkie
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    inkie, the first sounds like the school fees i need, lol!! One of the schools he's sitting for use most of theirs on income levels below £30k, and the other below £52k, so it's always worth asking. I'll google "grant awarding body" too (I've been googling allsorts - sure you did too) and see if anything useful comes up.

Don't forget that it's net income as they allow you tax/NI/mortgage interest/ an allowance for another child, and there is some kid of calculation for the value of your house - so that everyone is on a level playing field. How much are the fees??
  • Mumstheword
    Options
    It's gross income afaik, that's what's asked for on the forms. They then ask what tax you paid, details of your other kids, mortgage, assets, savings, everything else! It's very complicated, but may be worth it in the end. What I asked them was at what income level it was no longer worth applying.

The fees are around £8,000 per year for both schools.

• inkie
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It may be worth checking of they have 'financial assistance package' - as I said at the moment we would have fee remission for 50% fees, but this would mean that OH would not really be able to go for promotion in the future (doesn't matter about me as we don't have 'promotions'!)as he may be say £3,000 pa off, but if having to pay full school fees because it takes us over the threshold, then this would make us worse off.
  • Mumstheword
    Options
    At both schools, the financial assistance can be applied for, and is offered when the place is offered, and is dependant on our income and DS's performance in the entrance exams and interviews.

We've struggled with how much of that to tell him, obviously!! So we've told him that he needs to do his best, as he may be able to win us some financial assistance. He is totally calm with this issue. He knows that we will work our hardest to pay to get him what we think is the best education for him, and he must try his best on that one day, and then work hard for the next however many years, lol!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure