We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Grants for school fees

Options

Comments

• Sigur_2
    Sigur_2 Posts: 3,868 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, but I guess it varies from school to school on the funding available. Truly bright pupils should be accommodated so as to nurture their potential.
  • greenwich
    greenwich Posts: 8,044 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sigur wrote: »
    Truly bright pupils should be accommodated so as to nurture their potential.
    You're talking about boarding schools now :rotfl:

Seriously, the charities commission is currently going after private schools: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7189874.stm
    Eh?? I give up!! Towel is getting thrown in here! :D
  • Sigur_2
    Sigur_2 Posts: 3,868 Forumite
    Options
    greenwich wrote: »
    You're talking about boarding schools now :rotfl:

I didn't mean it in that sense.
  • TangledMemories_2
    Options
    I attended private school and the only grant we got was a 15% discount on the yearly fees due to me winning a scholarship before I went into seniors.
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)

• HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Back in the Dark Ages, I think me and all my siblings got a small grant from some London charity. And we weren't all at private school - actually none of us were but some of us were at boarding school.

Some of the old livery companies may give grants, especially to the children of parents who were / are employed in that profession. Then I was at a school which had funds available for pupils from a particular town, and RAF pupils - daughters of those who'd served / were serving in the RAF.

All of which is fascinating without necessarily being helpful. So here's the gem: see if your local Voluntary Services Council has the FunderFinder package, and if they do ask if an individual can book a session to see if there is help available for educating an individual child. It's basically a computer program: you say what you want money for, it asks questions about who and what and where the money's for, and it produces a list of possible places to apply. Usually someone helps you answer the questions right so that you only get a limited number of places to apply.

Although my first step would always be to ask the school about other places you might apply for help. They should be aware of any local sources, at least, and they may have extra scholarships for music, maths, art etc.

This is very useful and I will look into the leads that you have suggested.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    You need to consult the Directory of Grants for People in Need at your local library...I think there might be another similar directory, but it will be on the same shelf.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    The preparatory school my children attended had a common entrance exam once a year where children sat aptitude tests and were awarded scholarship and sometimes bursarys.

Senior school children are either entered for the scholarship exams woth the top scholars getting awards towards fees or sitting the common entrance exam doing exceptionally well and being awarded a bursary. (up to 50% in some cases)

I have never been aware of any outside funding, but thats not to say there isn't.

Maybe if a child has an aptitude for sports, music you can approach relevant groups and ask for assistance. Remember don't ask don't get. Anythings worth a try!
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • haylibo
    haylibo Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Options
    HappySad, years ago I got a grant from a charity aimed specifically at helping girls continue education. I wanted to do an OU course and was on a low income. Even with help with fees from the OU there were still additional cost. Sorry- digressing. I think I found something at the local library, accidentally, which listed funds left by benefactors to support various local causes. It was quite obscure and didn't give heaps each year but it was a big help to me.

If I were you I would start by contacting any charities relevant to your disability and see if they have any ideas. Next, I'd phone the local library and ask them. Does the school have a 'friends of (school's name)' ? If so, their secretary may have an idea or two.

Have you googled charities for your given area? You never know...
    I suspect it's one of those things where you'll need to keep digging around to come up with something.

Best wishes.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add you need to look at the costs for the senior schools. The price jump from the prep school to senior school at age 13 is huge.
    You certainly need to be aware of it and if possible start saving as soon as you can.

My sons last year was just over £6,000 a term. £18,000 plus for the year and even if the had been a scholarship or bursary available it would still have cost nearly £10,000. That is without the extras.

I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to enlighten you to the scary reality.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    Are there any grants on offer if the parents are disabled?

This thread isnt for a debate on private vs state education.
    If it isn't a debate, then it's probably in the wrong section.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family