How much does everyone pay for gas & electric?

Options

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same position OP. Rented property, not allowed to change supplier. We've recently moved in and haven't yet sussed out how much we are using. Your figures seem normal if not cheap, to me. We were paying more than that in our own house previously.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • firesidemaid
    Options
    one of my weekend tasks is to check out a potential supplier change.

we pay £108 per month to eon, and last year used 3336kWh of elec and 20,038kWh of gas. plus get clubcard points.

live in an average kind of house.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, taking the figures that you have supplied then for a standard tariff you are paying around the correct amount ( comes up as around £116/month ).

The cheapest tariff appears to be EON SOL 9 at £89/month.

The cheapest fix appears to be EDF FSv2 at £91/month.
  • itzmee
    itzmee Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use a lot more electric than gas in our house as the kids are constantly on their tv, tx-boxes, computers, leaving lights on etc ;). We have a 3 bed house with 2 adults and two kids (15 and 8). Monthly DD with EDF is £50 electric and £26 gas which covers the bills. We have a combi boiler (4 years old) and only use gas for the water and heating.
  • Going4TheDream
    Options
    Me and my OH pay £86.50 to British Gas for both electricity and gas, live in a bed semi that is in a preservation area. Basically that means I cannot change my horrible old double bay wooden leaky draughty windows (two of them at the front) for pvc double glazing and can only have like for like wooden double glazed at the cost of approx £7000, which we cannot afford. I have had the fire place opened in the back lounge where I can have pvc double glazing. I cant use the front bedroom or front lounge in the winter as it is too cold even with the heating on and due to the way the house is build I cannot have cavity wall insulation. Central heating doesn't go on until end of October and we try to minimize it to a couple of hours a day during the week and a few more at weekend and use the open fire as much as possible (an additional cost for coal admittedly but warmer) I do have a large fish pond in the garden so that uses electricity for the filtration 24/7/365. We dont watch TV, cook once a day and shower once a day. We try to be economical with the heating and use the two months we dont have to pay council tax and 4 months we dont have to pay water rates to top up any shortfall on winter bills to try and keep the DD as low as possible
    Dont wait for your boat to come in 'Swim out and meet the bloody thing' ;)
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use 3433 Electric and 16267 gas just had an increase of dd from 68 a month to 127 so just switched supplier which should as about 200 quid over the year. -3 bed semi - 2 ad 2 kids
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • milothewestie
    Options
    2 bed new build mid terrace,i pay £44 per month that includes both the gas and electric its with scottish power and they gave me £105 bonus last month for staying with them very cheap and easy to manage online account
  • Lessbutbetter
    Options
    I too have been wondering what others might pay, and its good to compare.

We live in a large 3/4 bedroom modern bungalow

Gas £60per month

i might do a comparison and see if it'd come out cheaper with anyone else

Elec £60per month
  • shazsarg1
    Options
    I have a one bedroom flat which is all electric. I am with Scottish Power I have online discounted energy on a fixed tarrif and I pay £96 per month.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shazsarg1 wrote: »
    I have a one bedroom flat which is all electric. I am with Scottish Power I have online discounted energy on a fixed tarrif and I pay £96 per month.

That's damn expensive for a one bedroomed flat. My parents are all electric (4 bed detached bungalow) with about 7 storage heaters and immersion heater and only pay £87 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure